My New 55 gallon. Cycle Question

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I just bought a used 55 gallon and there is still a little water and all the gravel and all that in it. It just got unplugged saturday, but was indoors and warm. what are the odds that the bacterial colony is still alive? I am going to fill it up and put the heater and filter in it tonight.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How long has it been since fish were in it? The conditions were fine for the BB to survive, but only if they had enough food, ie waste.

-Lisa

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
If it had only been a couple of days, odds are you still have some of the BB. But if the fish have been gone for longer time, it may have started to die off. Will you be using the same filter they had set up?

Once you set up the tank, I'd provide an ammonia source and test after a couple of days. This will let you know for sure if any of the BB survived.

Good luck with your new tank!

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They were using an under gravel filter, which had a bunch of gunk trapped under it, so I think the BB had plenty of rotting things to feast on. All that gunk is currently getting filtered out of the water by the Hang on back filter I plan on using. Will flake food be an ok source of ammonia for the bacteria over the next few days?

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sure it will! but it has to be a constant supply.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads