My New 55 Gallon Build.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by danhutchins, Apr 16, 2018.

1. danhutchins

danhutchinsValued MemberMember

Was thinking about pulling the hornwart and replacing with something else, I do like how it looks like a Bush but I'm thinking it's to busy, any suggestions? 20180415_133405.jpg

2. Iverg1

Iverg1Well Known MemberMember

Looks great! Maybe add little cave/hidey hole?

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

What about something short, like S. repens or crypts?

4. OP
    OP
    danhutchins

Was thinking a lot about s.repens but would have to order it since my lfs doesn't sell it. They don't even know what it is. It is a slow growing plant and I would have to get a bunch of it and I fear that would cost more than I want it to. I will try to find some for as cheap as I can without sacrificing quality. I think it would look very nice.

Not really a fan of the caves and hideouts. The fish have plenty of shelter with the plants. Would rather keep it plants but thanks for the advice.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  5. Iverg1

That’s okay we all have our preferences

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Aquabid or players on this forum might have some for cheap.

7. OP
    OP
    danhutchins

I will check it out.

8. OP
    OP
    danhutchins

Found some s.repens on Amazon for a good price. Here is an update on the tank. 20180425_230239.jpg

9. Iverg1

Looking good! I like it!

10. OP
    OP
    danhutchins

Thanks, this is the 99th time I have re scaped the tank. Hopefully I don't get board of it so fast. I think it will look really nice once everything grows in.

11. OP
    OP
    danhutchins

Was thinking about putting some moss on the single large rock in the picture. Will post more pics when that's done.

12. OP
    OP
    danhutchins

Another update. The s.repens seem to be growing a lot faster than expected!!

1526915658128.jpg

13. OP
    OP
    danhutchins

Another update.. The s.repens are out of control. I was watching a YouTube video about these and the guy said it took a year to get a carpet a third the size of mine and I have only had these in my tank a little over a month. I call b.s on how long it takes these guys to grow. And yes he said he was dosing co2 and had high light. I does co2 and have medium light and it's going crazy. 20180616_223735.jpg

14. OP
    OP
    danhutchins

Been a while since I've been on. Got bored with the way the tank was looking and changed everything about it. Got some red plants but they just keep turning green. I do dose iron but am unsure how much to dose. Should I just dose a bit more and wait a couple weeks to see if its working? I'm currently dosing 3 pumps of Dustins Fishtank iron every day. My tank is pretty heavy on the plant side and very under stocked on the fish side. 12 small fish in a 55 gallon. I will post a picture as well. Any help with red plants would be great. Thanks in advance.

Today

Attached Files:

15. OP
    OP
    danhutchins

Ok, so I completely hate this app. Thing used to work and now it seems it just does what it wants, lol. Here is my current setup. 20181113_173600.jpg

16. OP
    OP
    danhutchins

I added some pond filter foam to my canister filter about 2 weeks ago along with some bio home media. I have to say that now my filter is set up properly I have noticed that my water is much clearer than before, I didn't think it could get clearer than it was but it did, its almost like there isn't any water in it at all. Soon I am adding more bio home to the top basket in the filter and removing the carbon that is there in hopes of adding some new fish without issues.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice