My new 45gal community tank.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by Penelopa024, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Penelopa024

Penelopa024New MemberMember

That's my new fish tank. Bough it second hand with old filter, gravel , heater,light .
    Because all of the media i got I Did not need to go through cycling. It was instantly cycled :)
    Only now started to take some stuff out for cleaning one by one. image

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. WildsideValued MemberMember

Beautiful tank! Any idea what you're going to put in there?

3. OP
    OP
    Penelopa024

Thank you :) I have :
    10 guppies in there ( females pregnant )
    4 Cory's
    5 neon tetras
    4 assassin snails

I will add:
    2 dwarf gouramis
    10 penguin tetras
    And another 5 neon tetras

And that will be it.

I also have a tank with a single goldfish and another tank with assassin snail who has laid lots of eggs so hoping to have a farm of assassins :)

4. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

That is a beautiful tank! :)

Was the filter media kept wet or was it a running tank with those fish when you bought it?

Just some stocking suggestions -
    If you're going to add 2 DG's, better to have 1 male and 1 female though females will be hard to find. I don't recommend 2 males as they will fight and possibly kill each other.

What kind of corys do you have? I would increase the shoal to at least 6 of the same species.

Personally, I think it will be overstocked if you add the penguin tetras since you have the guppies (and probably even more once they have babies), DG's and neons taking up the top/mid region. If you don't want to deal with the babies, I would rehome the females.

5. OP
    OP
    Penelopa024

Thank you for your suggestion.
    The previous owner kept all media wet and kept putting food in to keep BB alive. Just before i came to collect they emptied the tank but we made sure filter,gravel and wood was packed in a way to prevent it from drying. It worked a treat as when I got home I filled the tank with water put ammonia in and two days later ammonia was zero and nitrates were high.
    The fish I got are new :)
    I agree regarding over stocking and might hold of the idea of getting penguin tetras .
    My LFS has female DG so I'm in luck :)
    With the fry I will have to decide yet. I don't want to keep it so either LFS if they take it or kept as food or sold locally. Not sure yet .

6. OP
    OP
    Penelopa024

The Cory's are Stebra Cory's

7. el337

That's good. :) Did you also check nitrites?

ETA: Just saw your last post. That kinda throws a wrench into things. Sterbais like the water around 80 and neons like it under 75 so I would either rehome the neons and then get the cardinal tetras or rehome the sterbais and get a cooler water cory like aeneus, pandas or false juliis.

8. OP
    OP
    Penelopa024

Yes it was 0 :)
    But even though everything seemed fine I kept the tank fishless for about 2 weeks before I put first fish in .

9. OP
    OP
    Penelopa024

el337 I'm confused now.
    I just looked at the fish care section and it says neon tetra temp :69F to 79F and Sterba : 70F to 77F ?
    I keep my tank on steady 77F .

10. el337

The FL profiles need to be updated as some of them are inaccurate.

11. BriLandy

BriLandyWell Known MemberMember

I second swapping out the neons. Cardinals will do better with the other fish. Sterbai corys are awesome, I have a school as well. I would keep them over neons. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice