My new 40 gallon pond setup :)

Sokamix

My new 40 gallon pond. Will add more sand to the bottom, a couple more plants, And fish of course! I’m going to stock it with guppies, rosy red minnows, and some other colorful fish. I will update.

121ED81C-59F4-43C3-A877-E54514AB4344.jpeg

PeterFishKeepin

Cool, ill be following this, could i ask what is that plant with purple flower?
edit: does it have any filteration or is it going to be a self sustaining type pond

WRWAquarium

Nice, I used to have somthing similar in the garden when I started fish keeping as a boy. I had a solar powered pump for oxygenation on hot days.

Sokamix

Cool, ill be following this, could i ask what is that plant with purple flower?
edit: does it have any filteration or is it going to be a self sustaining type pond
Thanks:) the plant is Water hyacinth. And the pot is a big filter and it has a pump circulating through it.

PeterFishKeepin

Unforntantly that plant is illegal in Australia so that's why ive never seen in LFS. Thanks anyway

BPSabelhaus

Unforntantly that plant is illegal in Australia so that's why ive never seen in LFS. Thanks anyway
Can’t see why. Stuff reproduces quicker than toads and rabbits lol Wasn’t that the weeds that stopped Hammond and Mays boats on the Mekong too?

PeterFishKeepin

Can’t see why. Stuff reproduces quicker than toads and rabbits lol Wasn’t that the weeds that stopped Hammond and Mays boats on the Mekong too?
do you mean "can see why" from my research of it it seems to one of the fastest reproducing aquatic plants, and i looked it up and i think it was the plant that got that boat stuck, lol.

BPSabelhaus

do you mean "can see why" from my research of it it seems to one of the fastest reproducing aquatic plants, and i looked it up and i think it was the plant that got that boat stuck, lol.
Joking (toads, rabbits;) )stuff literally chokes out waterways. Had it as a floater in my pond on year and it completely took over the surface. Fortunately winter here kills it off. I do like it a lot. Quite hardy, grows fast, reproduces faster with floating runners that break loose.

But yeah, can absolutely see why that would be banned.

Certain Endler / Guppy hybrids? Not so much. But this stuff is the real devils lettuce.

Sokamix

Joking (toads, rabbits;) )stuff literally chokes out waterways. Had it as a floater in my pond on year and it completely took over the surface. Fortunately winter here kills it off. I do like it a lot. Quite hardy, grows fast, reproduces faster with floating runners that break loose.

But yeah, can absolutely see why that would be banned.

Certain Endler / Guppy hybrids? Not so much. But this stuff is the real devils lettuce.
Oh wow I didn’t know it reproduced that fast. Rethinking my purchase

PeterFishKeepin

if your keeping it potted then i dont think it will spread much just grow a bit large in pot, if you give it the whole 40gal pond then i will probably take over.

Flyfisha

Water hyacinth has a couple of other bad tricks. The seeds are attractive to birds and can last up to 20 years without water.

It is around in NSW PeterFishKeepin .
I think it’s one of the very illegal plants ( it’s a notifiable weed I believe?) illegal to have in your possession I think?

Sokamix

Water hyacinth has a couple of other bad tricks. The seeds are attractive to birds and can last up to 20 years without water.

It is around in NSW PeterFishKeepin .
I think it’s one of the very illegal plants ( it’s a notifiable weed I believe?) illegal to have in your possession I think?
Oh ok. I don’t know if it’s illegal I got it from a fish store. So I’m not sure. How can I properly dispose of it?

PeterFishKeepin

well check with your local athoritities website im not sure what website to use when ur in USA, others may know, if your lfs had it then its legal to seel and therefor keep, IMO you dont need to dispose of it, if you did though perhaps leave in plastic bag outside no water and allow it to dry up or you could burn it or give to local athorities but if you bought it its most likely legal in your state. i would keep it

SparkyJones

Its an invasive species in california but they never went crazy after it like they did the hydrilla figuring it was a lost cause and just treat the overgrown areas and learn to live with it.

It's not illegal in california to buy sell of keep if you choose to, just try to be responsible about it and keep it in your care and under control so it doesn't spread and don't dump it in a lake when you get tired of it.

You are fine in california with the water hyacinth. Theres no restrictions on it.

Debbie1986

Oh ok. I don’t know if it’s illegal I got it from a fish store. So I’m not sure. How can I properly dispose of it?
if you do NOT live in a tropical area, it'll die over winter anyway.

It does grow a lot, but if you get too much, i'd prune it and remove.

When I bought mine online, many comments about it dying off each year. It only thrive long term in tropics.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• CROWNTAILBETTA
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Tony_097
  • Heiditron3000
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Foxxway
  • Ssnaaiil