My New 38 Gallon Aquarium

texan1994

New Member
Messages
4
Reaction score
4
Points
3
So number one this forum is great!!! I wouldn't of learned half of what I do now without this site. So I wanted to talk a little about my tank, it is fully cycled running two penguin 200 bio wheel filters and a waterfall display using the tetra whisper for 40 gallon tanks, I have 1 red tail shark, one pearl guarami, one moon light guarami, two angel fish and a adorable little albino bristlenose pleco, very close to what I believe is fully stocked, (please correct me if I'm wrong) my numbers are all golden besides p.h but have Ben told as Long as I keep it stable (7.9) I should be fine. This hobby is great and I can honestly say I'm addicted lol. Sorry for no pics trying to learn how to post them lol. But great crystal clear water and happy fish,
 

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Messages
2,417
Reaction score
1,340
Points
148
Experience
1 year
You’ll probably experience diatoms soon but that is normal.

Plants?

You have some semi-aggressive/aggressive fish so I think you are fully stocked.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

texan1994

New Member
Messages
4
Reaction score
4
Points
3
Hunter1 said:
You’ll probably experience diatoms soon but that is normal.

Plants?

You have some semi-aggressive/aggressive fish so I think you are fully stocked.
Is that Brown algae? Just did some reading on diatoms what do I do if that occurs?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

texan1994

New Member
Messages
4
Reaction score
4
Points
3
texan1994 said:
Is that Brown algae? Just did some reading on diatoms what do I do if that occurs?
Oh and no I have no real plants just artificial, does everyone get diatoms? And my fish seem to all get along well my lfs told me I'd be fine and had a little room for a few more fish. Glad I checked hear before adding lol. Tank is crystal clear at the moment. Will my albino ancistrus eat diatoms? Sorry for the overload of questions but when I jump in a hobby I want to know all the ins and outs, thank y'all in advance for the information
 

HORNET1

Well Known Member
Messages
659
Reaction score
1,118
Points
83
Experience
5 years
texan1994 said:
Is that Brown algae? Just did some reading on diatoms what do I do if that occurs?
Assuming that your tank is fully cycled...I would go ahead and add about a 1/2 dozen Amano Shrimp and a couple of Nerite Snails. They should take care of any algae outbreaks you may have and they are good for the overall health of your tank.
WELCOME ABOARD!!!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

texan1994

New Member
Messages
4
Reaction score
4
Points
3
HORNET1 said:
Assuming that your tank is fully cycled...I would go ahead and add about a 1/2 dozen Amano Shrimp and a couple of Nerite Snails. They should take care of any algae outbreaks you may have and they are good for the overall health of your tank.
WELCOME ABOARD!!!
Yes tank is fully cycled, would the shrimp over load my bio load. One of the reply was that I was fully stocked with my current fish? And will my ancistrus not take care of any algae bloom? Also does every tank get diatoms? I'm running two hob filters for 10x per hour filtration (400gph) so I have a decent water flow so one concerns with the little shrimp is will they handle the current?
 

HORNET1

Well Known Member
Messages
659
Reaction score
1,118
Points
83
Experience
5 years
texan1994 said:
Yes tank is fully cycled, would the shrimp over load my bio load. One of the reply was that I was fully stocked with my current fish? And will my ancistrus not take care of any algae bloom? Also does every tank get diatoms? I'm running two hob filters for 10x per hour filtration (400gph) so I have a decent water flow so one concerns with the little shrimp is will they handle the current?
The shrimp will actually serve a beneficial purpose. Their bio-load is negligible. I would add a pre-filter to the intake of each HOB if you haven't already done so.
 

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Messages
2,417
Reaction score
1,340
Points
148
Experience
1 year
Shrimp help but I always wait until the tank has been cycled for 4-6 months before I add shrimp. Maybe just paranoid but I usually lose shrimp if I add them too early.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom