My New 30 Gallon Tank

Adam T

Reaction score
Here is my first real fishtank. It's been up and running for just over 2 weeks. Cycled (very expensively) with two 3 oz. pouches of Bio-Spira (one more when fish were added at the end of week 2) 30 gallon (114 liter) acrylic. I started out with 5 tiger barbs, and ultimately ended up with 6 (4 babies). Then 1 eclectic yellow cichlid. Next 3 German blue rams, and a 4" red jewel cichlid (the big kahuna). pH 7.0, Alk 80, Hardness 120, NO2 <.5, NO3 20, NH3 0. I change 15% one-to-two times a week. I added pond salt (1 tablespoon/5 gallons), and I plan to replentish with just under 1 tablespoon every 15% water change of 4 gallons).

So far, everyone is getting along swimmingly. The jewel was shipped, so he's just starting to come out of his shipping stress. A hint of his color has come back, and his body spot is becoming visible again. He pretty much keeps to himself, and I hope this doesn't change when he's feeling better. The tiger barbs are awesome. I highly recommend this fish. So active and playful. They keep the tank moving and the rams (who are really beautiful) occasionally school with them! The electric yellow cichlid also keeps to himself (he's still little), but is always out and about livening up the tank with a splash of bright color. He loves the rock. The Rams love the coral.

The big picture
9.jpg

Group shot
10.jpg

The Barbs
11.jpg

The Rams (lower left and in front of the top of the rock)
12.jpg

Tell me what you think!

Adam T

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. In about a year, I think I want to do a larger marine reef tank for my office. I know doing a marine tank as your second project is ambitious, but hopefully by then, I'll have some clue as to what I'm doing. 8)

Adam T

Reaction score
Thanks!

I don't remember the label, but I got it at my LFS, and it is something like "epoxy coated art gravel". Wanted a natural look, but I didn't want to go with sand because it would be harder to vacuum.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very nice looking tank!! I love Rams, they are so colorful and spunky too
Carol

Adam T

Reaction score
Thanks Butterfly and Buzz. Yes, the Rams are gorgeous with the irredescent blue and yellow.

Buzz, your description is accurate. It is a fine gravel that looks like big grained sand. I really like it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom