My new 10 gallon shrimp tank build

Marlene327

So this is the tank I'll be using, just finished it. I'd love comments, guidance, or ideas to make it better - personally I think it's boring but don't know how to fix that. I took plants from my 40 gallon, had to cut down the very long vals. The rocks and cholla wood are from my present shrimp tank, as well as the very used sponge filter.

People talk about having a rock pile for hiding places. This is a small pile. Should I lose the coconut shell and find more rocks to make it larger? I don't really care for the coconut anyway, just looking for something they could hide in.

I have 5 baby corys in the present tank with 3 adults. I'm going to catch as many babies tomorrow as I can, and have them break this tank in for the next month or 2. There are also 3 guppy fry I'll be adding just until the shrimp are added, then they'll be large enough to enter the community tank. I know 2 or 3 months is what's recommended to develop the biofilm. Is it POSSIBLE it would be enough by a month, if there's less than 20 shrimp? I think right now I have less than 10 shrimp, but not sure really, could be more. I haven't seen berried females in forever, really think they're all males now! I could keep the old one running a while to be sure there are no young.

Okay, whaddya think? How can I make this a little more exciting?

Attachments

• 20211012_165346.jpg
    20211012_165346.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 44

Mudminnow

Okay, whaddya think? How can I make this a little more exciting?
Well, it's tough to make an engaging aquascape with only a handful of hardscape materials and a few plants. My suggestion is to collect/buy much more hardscape (maybe even more than you'll use). Get lots of wood and rocks and such. Scape your tank with this hardscape. Don't be afraid to create a bigger slope from front to back to create depth. Then, add more plants as you see fit.

I think you'll find it's much easier to create a more exciting scape when you use more stuff.

Marlene327

Well, it's tough to make an engaging aquascape with only a handful of hardscape materials and a few plants. My suggestion is to collect/buy much more hardscape (maybe even more than you'll use). Get lots of wood and rocks and such. Scape your tank with this hardscape. Don't be afraid to create a bigger slope from front to back to create depth. Then, add more plants as you see fit.

I think you'll find it's much easier to create a more exciting scape when you use more stuff.
I do have one more piece of cholla wood in their tank I'll be moving over. Those 2 should have some decent biofilm on them. Rocks... will work on that! I need to see someone else's rock piles to see how they're made! I know the plants will fill in fast, especially the vals. My 40 gallon has a lot of crypts, that one little one on the right is that. I don't think I want more of that, maybe just 1 more small one. Thank you for your advice!
Oh, and this does slope from front to back. I used 10 lb of sand, almost wish I'd gotten another 5# bag.

Mudminnow

In regards to stacking stones and rock piles. Here is a video you may find helpful:

Marlene327

In regards to stacking stones and rock piles. Here is a video you may find helpful:
Wow that's nice to see. But they should be added before the substrate. Will look around here for some DW. I bought a 29 gallon tank I need to return, totally decided to give myself a break and not replace my 20 gallon, it's time to downsize. So another trip to the store will be happening soon to pick something up.

I'll look for more videos and ideas as well, and I KNOW people have shown their builds here. I can never do things that involved, but can do better than I have now.

otterblue

A good start. I would personally put in a lot more plants, driftwood and rocks. It can even be haphazard for a wild, natural look. Plus, your shrimp may appreciate some cover and hiding spots, at least when they molt. Basically, put a lot of stuff in there.
The only ones who appreciate artistic aquascaping are people, not the fish and shrimp.

Marlene327

A good start. I would personally put in a lot more plants, driftwood and rocks. It can even be haphazard for a wild, natural look. Plus, your shrimp may appreciate some cover and hiding spots, at least when they molt. Basically, put a lot of stuff in there.
The only ones who appreciate artistic aquascaping are people, not the fish and shrimp.
Thank you! Can you recommend some good plants? I'd like a carpet plant of some sort but don't want something that will completely take over and need to constantly be removed. If the vals grow here like in my larger tank, I'll be removing lots before long. I'm always in there cutting back and trimming out! I will look for some rocks and DW. Yes, we like to have something pretty to look at, it enhances the hobby. Anyone can have a blank tank with fish but that's no fun!

otterblue

I'm no plant expert and honestly don't know the names of most of mine. I do know the Aquarium Co-Op squirt fertilizer is really helpful in making them grow, though. Aside from that, other people could answer this question better. (Aside from java moss & swords, I just know they are a bunch of plants.)

Marlene327

I'm no plant expert and honestly don't know the names of most of mine. I do know the Aquarium Co-Op squirt fertilizer is really helpful in making them grow, though. Aside from that, other people could answer this question better. (Aside from java moss & swords, I just know they are a bunch of plants.)
I know a few but sure not many. I think 80% of the ones I have already. I love Co-op's ferts, but need more tablets in the sand while these get started. Haven't used them in so long, didn't know I was out til tonight. I'll do some shopping, I have time. :)

JavaMossMan

All you need is java moss and java fern and nothing else. I'm in the process of making a java moss/java fern shrimp tank. A tank filled with java moss looks stunning and it grows fast as well so it will definitely fill out a 10 gallon tank once it gets going.

otterblue

Hence your
All you need is java moss and java fern and nothing else. I'm in the process of making a java moss/java fern shrimp tank. A tank filled with java moss looks stunning and it grows fast as well so it will definitely fill out a 10 gallon tank once it gets going.

Hence your name. :)

JavaMossMan

The greatest plant in the hobby IMO. Every tank I put this stuff into its as if it literally heals the tank. I noticed in my tanks over the years fish deaths decrease by a lot and they become much more healthier and robust.

I just got 6 cherry shrimp a few days ago and threw a bunch of java moss in with them. No deaths so far and they seem to be very happy.

Marlene327

The greatest plant in the hobby IMO. Every tank I put this stuff into its as if it literally heals the tank. I noticed in my tanks over the years fish deaths decrease by a lot and they become much more healthier and robust.

I just got 6 cherry shrimp a few days ago and threw a bunch of java moss in with them. No deaths so far and they seem to be very happy.
I'm looking at them on the Aquarium Co-op site, think I'll just get them there, and an anumbias. I have 3 petites. But I need to find some rocks, will glue them and some java ferns to them. Yes, the moss is very nice, can see it filling in lots of places. Thanks for the ideas. :)

BlackOsprey

If you want a cheap as heck hardscape option that can still look neat, get some terra cotta pots, smash them up, and arrange the fragments in a neat way. It's especially inexpensive if you get broken pots that a store has on clearance. Since the pots are made of clay, plants like java moss or anubias can anchor onto them over time.

Also, if you want a carpeted look without the hassle and frustration of hairgrass or baby tears, I'd recommend using either pearlweed or subwassertang.

Pearlweed is a stem plant that can grow in pretty dense patches. It does require pretty frequent trimming to stay short, but it's extremely tolerant and hardy. It grows very fast and easily propagates from trimmings.

Subwassertang is a free-floating plant that grows into clumps and mounds wherever it settles. Kinda reminds me of hedges. It requires more patience but less attention than pearlweed. Definitely not a traditional looking carpet, but a mat of the stuff looks exquisitely lush and green.

JavaMossMan

I just received susswassertang from another member here. It looks very nice and from I've read its very low maintenance. Grows similar to java moss. I'm waiting to see how it does as I've only had it for a few weeks but so far so good.

Marlene327

I placed a couple orders last night, so within a week I'll have it looking different. In the meantime I put 3 young Peppered Corys in the tank for a little ammonia contribution. My tank is cycled, my numbers are 0 0 5. Now just waiting!

JavaMossMan

Pictures of java moss and java fern in my 20 gallon long. All that moss came from one small strand in about 10 months and all that fern came from one medium sized java fern (about three years ago). I have another 10 gallon which I ended up putting more moss and ferns from this tank and some 1 gallon jars as well.

In the second pic you can see some susswassertang floating in the upper left corner of the tank. I just threw them in there and did some minimal aquascaping.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-10-14 19-03-05.png
    Screenshot from 2021-10-14 19-03-05.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot from 2021-10-14 19-03-33 cropped.png
    Screenshot from 2021-10-14 19-03-33 cropped.png
    627.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot from 2021-10-14 19-05-16 cropped.png
    Screenshot from 2021-10-14 19-05-16 cropped.png
    820.2 KB · Views: 70

Marlene327

Pictures of java moss and java fern in my 20 gallon long. All that moss came from one small strand in about 10 months and all that fern came from one medium sized java fern (about three years ago). I have another 10 gallon which I ended up putting more moss and ferns from this tank and some 1 gallon jars as well.

In the second pic you can see some susswassertang floating in the upper left corner of the tank. I just threw them in there and did some minimial aquascaping.
That's real nice, thanks for showing me! Yes it's amazing how fast some plants can grow and spread. I can't wait to get my tank done. Looks like both my orders will be here Saturday.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FBI
Replies
Views
redmare
Replies
Views
SM1199
Replies
Views