My Nerite Snail has gone missing…

Emily882

Hey everyone, I got a Nerite Snail yesterday with 2 African dwarf frogs in a 10 gallon tank. He was going around to all of the walls yesterday and having fun but then I went to sleep and didn’t see him again. I woke up periodically throughout the night but no sign of him. I lifted up the hideaway that I have but nothing. Im so scared and I am not sure what to do.

RayClem

I can think of three possibilities.

In the wild, snails are part of the diet of African dwarf frogs. However, they only eat very small snails, so if your Nerite was larger, it is unlikely to have become a snack.

Is it possible that the snail is hiding somewhere on the bottom of the tank. Snails often hibernate for a few days. If you do find it on the bottom of the tank, pick it up and smell it. If it smells bad, it is dead and should be discarded in the garbage. If it smells OK, it is just hibernating.

Unless you tank has a cover, it is possible that the snail crawled out of the tank. Snails normally lay eggs above the water line so fish won't eat the eggs. Thus, they are adept at crawling up the glass and even out of the tank. If you find one on the floor, again try the sniff test. If it smells OK, put it back in the tank. Snails can retreat into their shells and survive for a while outside the tank, but if you do not find it after several days, it might be time to get another snail. Although Nerites can live in fresh water, their eggs will only hatch in brackish salt water. That is one reason many people like them. You never have to worry about them overpopulating a freshwater tank.

Fisch

Nerites have the uncanny ability to become invisible, and then pop up again.
I would also start looking around the aquarium, on the floor, behind the shelf.
Nerites can survive outside the tank for several days (found mine after a week underneath the dresser 8 feet away from the tank, alive).
I am sure you will find it, let us know!!!

StarGirl

Look under all lips and lids on the tank if any. They do hide pretty well.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LilBlub
Replies
Views
Qliti
Replies
Views
Rtessy
Replies
Views