My neons are fighting and now one is injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeRose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got them yestarday and acclimated them slowly. There are 6 in an 11 gallon with 3 sterbai cories but they keep biting and chasing each other around. One now has an overly open gill. It looks like the bottom has been torn. He is acting normal and eating but the others keep chasing him. I know they are schooling fish, but I was thinking I should put him in an in-tank refugium and add some vita-chem. However, I am unsure, will the isolation from the school stress him out even though they are biting him? What should I do?
Thanks,
LeeRose.

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow, don't know really...sorry to hear that they are harrasing him that much...I have 3 neons,1 glolight, 2 platties and 2 cories and although the neons can "play rough", I have not seen any "violent play" (nock on wood!) I usually "inspect them" with a magnifying glass to look for any wounds/ decoloration, etc....i am sure other members will add their expertise soon. Good luck with the little guy and the "neon mafia"!!!

LeeRose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the support, I appreciate it. When they were a little nippy at first I thought it may be because they are fairly young and are working out their order in the school but I haven't heard of them doing that often. We will see.
LeeRose

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aww poor thing...I agree its a pecking order going on....11g is small for them to be able to horizontally swim so maybe downsize if it keeps up? keep their water prestine so no infection sits in..how did you cycle it so fast? make sure the red gills arent ammonia

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow, sorry to hear that!! Mine are always playing soccer with each other but never any damage!!! Are your plants thick enough so that the one that is getting beat can hide and rest?

LeeRose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yea, I have tons of plants in this tank. However, it may not have been the other tetras that damaged him seeing as I got them yestarday. Maybe a net hurt him and now the tetras are just chasing him. But they are not only chasing him so I don't know. Would it be ok if I put him in a refugium in the tank for a while so they can't hurt him while he heals? Would this make them attack him or not accept him when I let him out again?
Thanks, LeeRose.

LeeRose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I used tetra safe start and ammonia and nitrites are zero. Nitrate is between 5 and 10. Refugium or no refugium?

Which is more dangerous, opening the wound further or separating him from the school for a week?
Will they accept him back if I do that?

I mean, he is able to not actually be the soccer ball but some of the fish try to ram him. He is acting pretty normal except for his overly open gill showing redness under. I know what ammonia poisoning looks like and this is not it.
Please help,
LeeRose.

Edit: I went to my LFS to get some anti-bacteria medication so that if it were a cut he would not get an infection. I bought tetracycline and its label diagnosed him perfectly with bacterial gill disease which it should resolve in 4 days. I did remove the activated carbon and the fish actually perked up. Upon further observations I was assured that the tetras were just "playing soccer" with each other not actually harming each other. Awesome!
Thanks for the replies everybody. I am glad to know it is not only my tetras.
By the way, I removed half of the biomax in my filter so that although the beneficial bacteria left in will get killed, I will be able to add the majority of it back to the tank after the last water change.
Thanks again,
Lee Rose.x

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom