My Neon Tetra Has A Growth On Its Mouth [emoji848]

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Edith Mercedes, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Edith MercedesValued MemberMember

1/9 of my neons has a little bubble like growing in it's mouth. It looks like he hit himself and grew a bruise except that I'm sure that's not the case.

I have a 10g tank perform 20% water changes weekly and use Prime. As per my API Freshwater test kit results my water is always on point so I don't understand what's happened to him or why.

Anyone know what it could be? Gratzi.

2. BluMan1914Well Known MemberMember

Hello. I suggest that you post a picture, that way members here that are good with diseases can help.

3. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

If its what I think it is.. the bubble on bottom lip there's really no known treatment and it usually is fatal unfortunately.

Pictures will help ensure correct information.

4. InitiateWell Known MemberMember

It may be mouth fungus which is really just a bacterial infection

5. Edith MercedesValued MemberMember

I attached some photos.

0a8c9be6c0d1e727d7c64b35e9d500b9.jpge27e91502190125f16eff78f3773fd13.jpg

6. wapoosheValued MemberMember

do you QT your fish? If not that could be the reason for the disease. I'm no expert on fish disease though, only thing I can recommend is to transfer your fish to a hospital tank for treatment so the other neons don't get hurt. Hope everything turns at well!

7. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

That doesn't look good. If you don't have a QT on hand I would seriously think about taking it out before it becomes a problem.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

8. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

On my device its hard to tell but that doesn't look like the bubble disease but instead it looks like columnaris/cotton mouth which is very contagious and not a fungus but a bacterial infection. I would treat the healthy fish with paraguard or stress guard and QT and treat the infected fish with acriflavine or Maracyn/2. If the fish are not eating a medicated food mix of paraguard, focus, and garlic guard may help

Its hard to see on my small device. Does it resemble fungus or cotton?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  9. thisindianguyNew MemberMember

Looks like Sentinel Prime's line from Transformers ^_^

10. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

That's what I was thinking that it was cotton mouth. I had a Rosy Barb that had that and I essentially took it out and euthanized it.

11. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

Yes usually with cotton mouth when they have the mouth growth they will stop eating and its best to euthanize rather than let it starve to death. If it's eating it can be treated

12. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

The mouth literally falls off.

13. InitiateWell Known MemberMember

That's definitely cotton mouth disease and is pretty advanced but its not to late to treat. Here a screenshot I took with things that can work to cure it

Attached Files:

14. Edith MercedesValued MemberMember

So many responses. Thank you all for replying.

So my best bet is to take him out and quarantine and treat him alone?

He is eating so I guess it's still treatable.

15. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I am on several internatiol forums and this issue is seen more and more. It seems to be untreatable, not directly lethal, not very contagious and species-specific for neons.
    My suspecion cause of that is that there is an (irido)virus in bred neons (like lymphocystis) that's causing this.
    I'd leave it.

16. Edith MercedesValued MemberMember

I'm going to have to take him out plus another one that just got infected by him.

How exactly do I euthanize them?

How can I be treated? He just infected another tetra but they're both eating.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  17. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

You need to give a medicated food mix of kanaplex, garlic guard, and focus.

I would also treat with kanaplex. It's not something that will go away on its own. It needs to be treated or everything in your tank will become infected.

Focus binds the medication (kanaplex) to the food while garlic guard entices them to eat it.

18. Edith MercedesValued MemberMember

I'd have to google what Kanaplex is bc I've never heard of it being that I'm new to this. I started a year ago. I do have this remedy that my local pet store said I could use. What do you think? db98dfb649644cf1eaa7aba15961d9f3.jpg

The person I spoke to said I have to treat the whole tank being that there's 9 Tetras and 1 Betta.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  19. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

I cannot vouch for the all in one. Id imagine its not effective. Kanaplex is by seachem and maracyn/maracyn2 is proven treatment for columnaris

20. Edith MercedesValued MemberMember

I understand, Is columnaris what they've got in their mouths?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice