10 Gallon Tank My Nano Desktop Tank: A Shrimpy Aquascape Journey

SterSter

6/27/2021

Hello everybody!

After careful planning to convince my mom to let me get more aquariums (getting one spontaneously from the store and having her deal with it) I am now finally able to get to work on my desktop tank!

I have created a rough sketch of what I want the scape to look like based off the dimensions of the tank and the hardscape that my LFS carries.

This is what I came up with...

D046300E-0A50-4AD0-BCBD-0E4DEFD1FA29.jpeg

I got inspiration for this scape from Dave Chow's aquascape "The Great Wall".

It is supposed to be rather simple scape and not too heavily planted with the large rock in the middle being the main focus.

The plants I chose for this scape are JAVA MOSS and SUBWASSERTANG for the foreground, S.REPENS for the midground, and HAIRGRASS for the background.

The stone type I want for the scape I would like to be grey in color. I am thinking either SEIRYU STONE or ELEPHANT SKIN STONE.

For stocking I was thinking of adding just CRYSTAL SHRIMP. I'm still deciding whether to get the black or red ones.

grac3

tanks rarely turn out the way you want them to ;) keep us updated! i have a feeling this is going to be a very very pretty tank

CoconutTheBetta

6/27/2021

Hello everybody!

After careful planning to convince my mom to let me get more aquariums (getting one spontaneously from the store and having her deal with it) I am now finally able to get to work on my desktop tank!

I have created a rough sketch of what I want the scape to look like based off the dimensions of the tank and the hardscape that my LFS carries.

This is what I came up with...

D046300E-0A50-4AD0-BCBD-0E4DEFD1FA29.jpeg

I got inspiration for this scape from Dave Chow's aquascape "The Great Wall".

It is supposed to be rather simple scape and not too heavily planted with the large rock in the middle being the main focus.

The plants I chose for this scape are JAVA MOSS and SUBWASSERTANG for the foreground, S.REPENS for the midground, and HAIRGRASS for the background.

The stone type I want for the scape I would like to be grey in color. I am thinking either SEIRYU STONE or ELEPHANT SKIN STONE.

For stocking I was thinking of adding just CRYSTAL SHRIMP. I'm still deciding whether to get the black or red ones.
Nice rough draft! Good luck and keep us posted!

SterSter

Yes of course! I will make sure to keep you guys updated regularly around every week.

SterSter

7/6/2021

So I got the hardscape all set up but right after I realized that the stone I picked out would not be compatible with Crystal Shrimp so I will have to take down the scape and think up a new aquascape layout.

I'll be going to the LFS sometime this week or next week to get the new materials for the new scape so i'll update when that happens.

Before I take it down here is what the scape looked like.

I'm planning on setting up that aquascape to my friend's aquarium sometime so it won't be gone forever. Even so i'll still be a bit sad to see it go.

image.jpg

SterSter

7/12/2021

Right now i'm soaking the driftwood I got from the LFS in a bucket until it sinks.

Once it sinks in a few days i'll start getting it setup for the scape.

During this time I will be getting the filtration, lighting, and the plants.

Here are all the driftwood soaking in the bucket. I put a rock on top so it doesn’t float.

image.jpg

SterSter

7/13/2021

So it’s been a few days and the driftwood hasn’t sunk yet so I made the executive decision to place it in my 30g for the time being.

I actually kinda like the floating root structure the wood makes. The fish and shrimp seem to like it. Perhaps this will give me ideas for future builds hmmmm??

I will also start to order the supplies I need for the shrimp on Amazon. They should come sometime in the next week or so.

image.jpg

SterSter

7/26/2021

Hey everyone apologies for the late update the supplies took longer than expected to arrive.

I will be setting up everything tomorrow so I will post an update of the finished product soon.

SterSter

Hey all here is the final hardscape layout!

I was initially going to go for an aquascape that looked like a tree with christmas moss on its branches as the leaves but it was too big for the tank so I made the aquascape look like a stump instead.

What do you guys think of it?
image.jpg

SterSter

Alright folks it's update time!

A few days ago I got all the plants I wanted into the tank.

I planted the Giant Hairgrass I had in my 30g in the background.

In the midground I placed Christmas Moss in all the little nooks I could find near the top of the driftwood and rock.

In the foreground I was originally planning to get Micranthemum Montecarlo but I found out that the store I went to (Petco) didn't carry it so I got Dwarf Hairgrass instead. If I am able to I would like to order some Montecarlo online and plant it in the middle where all the open sand and stuff is.

I also adopted four Mystery Snails that I got from that same Petco. Three of them I placed into my 30g. The one I put into this tank just felt more special so I lovingly named Chestnut cause he/she kinda looks like a Chestnut.

Now all I gotta do is wait for Chestnut to jumpstart the Nitrogen Cycle and i'll be set for the CRS which (if the plans don't change last minute) will get this weekend so POG!

(Sorry for the bad quality I'm using my government issued Obama phone for this picture cause my mom has my good phone lol)
16286613441372557577757292413187.jpg

grac3

It's looking gorgeous!

RedOnion

Alright folks it's update time!

A few days ago I got all the plants I wanted into the tank.

I planted the Giant Hairgrass I had in my 30g in the background.

In the midground I placed Christmas Moss in all the little nooks I could find near the top of the driftwood and rock.

In the foreground I was originally planning to get Micranthemum Montecarlo but I found out that the store I went to (Petco) didn't carry it so I got Dwarf Hairgrass instead. If I am able to I would like to order some Montecarlo online and plant it in the middle where all the open sand and stuff is.

I also adopted four Mystery Snails that I got from that same Petco. Three of them I placed into my 30g. The one I put into this tank just felt more special so I lovingly named Chestnut cause he/she kinda looks like a Chestnut.

Now all I gotta do is wait for Chestnut to jumpstart the Nitrogen Cycle and i'll be set for the CRS which (if the plans don't change last minute) will get this weekend so POG!

(Sorry for the bad quality I'm using my government issued Obama phone for this picture cause my mom has my good phone lol)
16286613441372557577757292413187.jpg
really liking how the wood crawls down those rocks!

SterSter

Update time!

I finally got the shrimp!
I was only able to get 5 cause the LFS didn’t have much in stock so hopefully these guys will be able to become a huge colony in the future.

F01A0B5C-892D-457B-B5C6-FF05D42AE0E9.jpeg
E54968D3-4A9F-4BA1-98DA-1E8405E9C12F.jpeg

62E63709-9225-4EF9-8A5D-34559A2FF523.jpeg

RedOnion

Update time!

I finally got the shrimp!
I was only able to get 5 cause the LFS didn’t have much in stock so hopefully these guys will be able to become a huge colony in the future.

F01A0B5C-892D-457B-B5C6-FF05D42AE0E9.jpeg
E54968D3-4A9F-4BA1-98DA-1E8405E9C12F.jpeg

62E63709-9225-4EF9-8A5D-34559A2FF523.jpeg
I love the candycane look! Do you know if you got males and females?

SterSter

I love the candycane look! Do you know if you got males and females?
Same. It always reminds me of Crustmus and to not eat too much candy lest I get chunkier than Chestnut the snail.

I believe I got 3 males and 2 females but they were swimming around so much that I couldn’t get a good look at them and now to my inconvenience they’re all hiding haha. They’re such crafty buggers.

RedOnion

Same. It always reminds me of Crustmus and to not eat too much candy lest I get chunkier than Chestnut the snail.

I believe I got 3 males and 2 females but they were swimming around so much that I couldn’t get a good look at them and now to my inconvenience they’re all hiding haha. They’re such crafty buggers.
lol I love candycane shrimp but candycane is a no for me.
Those 5 should start breeding in no time, as long as you have one of each gender you should be good to go! I remember when I first got my first 2 shrimp and now im like at 200+. they breed crazy!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ANudibranch
  • Question
Replies
Views
attheworld
180 Gallon Tank River Flow Tank Ideas
Replies
Views
Slapp