Help My Mystery Snail Is Bulging Out Of Its Shell!

AquaBluMom

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
95133943-1DAD-44E9-A7FC-8916148AF182.jpeg
B10B730F-820B-4E44-A027-8B738AF6E4AE.jpeg
B10B730F-820B-4E44-A027-8B738AF6E4AE.jpeg
95133943-1DAD-44E9-A7FC-8916148AF182.jpeg
EB039811-A7B4-43FC-8C2D-5A24CF9A7C06.jpeg
EB039811-A7B4-43FC-8C2D-5A24CF9A7C06.jpeg

Okay! I messed up this Post! Long and short...my Mystery Snail is bulging out of its shell and its still alive!! I found it floating at the top of the tank! It’s now on the bottom of the tank. Should I put it out of its pain?! ☹☹ I have DOZENS of snails and have found a few like this after they’d died. What causes this horrible condition? It's got to be painful for the little guys!

AquaBluMom

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have never checked the GH or KH. I have the API Master Test kit for Freshwater. My pH is 7.4, Anmonia, and Nitrite are in great shape, but the Nitrates continue to be off to be off the charts! Have an algal bloom issue that I can’t get ahead of and baby snails that make it tough to do a substrate cleaning. All my snails are homegrown, from 2yrs to 3 months. At the moment I’ve got at least 130+ (mostly babies). I gave my Pet store 50 the last time I was there. The algae is even on their shells!!
I’ve also got 2 black skirted Tetras, a gold skirted Tetra, a Gara ruffa, 3 Siamese Algae Eaters, and two neon fish.
It’s a 29-gal tall tank. I’m running a 55-gal Tidal Filter and a 30-gal BioMaxx Filter.
The temp is 74. I’ve got a 75 watt eHeim that won’t climb to 78! Grrr!! It used to!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What are the exact readings of your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?
Looks like something toxic in the water is killing him, that's what happens when they scrunch their little foot like that. My bet is on nitrogenous compounds.
How often do you change the water and how much? What conditioner do you use?

AquaBluMom

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
7.4 pH, it might be safe to say you have ok GH and KH. the API GH/KH test is available for about $5 on ebay.

nitrates being off the charts is concerning. "Red is Dead."
One would think! Majority of my tank is alive and thriving, and the nitrates have been trending on the **** side for awhile. I know I’ve got to be on borrowed time!
I’ve got NitraZorb in one filter and BioChem Zorb in the other. Suggestions?

AquaBluMom

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are the exact readings of your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?
Looks like something toxic in the water is killing him, that's what happens when they scrunch their little foot like that. My bet is on nitrogenous compounds.
How often do you change the water and how much? What conditioner do you use?
Sorry, I initially missed your Post. As I mentioned, pH is 7.4, Ammonia and Nitrites are normal. It’s the Nitrates that are Red and I can’t get them to come down. I use spring water for my water changes and use seachem equilibrium, alkaline buffer and Prime with the water change. I’m due to make a water change but due to baby snails I can’t vacuum the substrate.
I use Remediation and Ammo-Lock in between as needed, in the interim.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sorry, I initially missed your Post. As I mentioned, pH is 7.4, Ammonia and Nitrites are normal. It’s the Nitrates that are Red and I can’t get them to come down. I use spring water for my water changes and use seachem equilibrium, alkaline buffer and Prime with the water change. I’m due to make a water change but due to baby snails I can’t vacuum the substrate.
I use Remediation and Ammo-Lock in between as needed, in the interim.
Sorry, really really hate to be pushy about this, but can you give exact ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Why do you need Ammo-lock?
I'm not sure where exactly the red is on the nitrate test either I'm a bit colorblind, lol

AquaBluMom

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry, really really hate to be pushy about this, but can you give exact ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Why do you need Ammo-lock?
I'm not sure where exactly the red is on the nitrate test either I'm a bit colorblind, lol
Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is the highest reading there is on the API Nitrate Test...as red as it get! ☹
And correction: I’ve not used the ammo-lock in a while as that’s for ammonia buildup which I dint have.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is the highest reading there is on the API Nitrate Test...as red as it get! ☹
And correction: I’ve not used the ammo-lock in a while as that’s for ammonia buildup which I dint have.
Ohh okay, I was mainly concerned about the possibility off ammonia + very high nitrates.
Okay, so the fix for very high nitrates is a bit different than normal water changes.
The fish would now be acclimated to the high nitrates, and changing them too quickly can shock them.
It's rough, but it works. Do 3-4 15% water changes tomorrow (or start today), then a few 25% changes, then you can up it to 50% water changes. Nitrazorb only removed about 20-30 of my nitrates at a time, so water changes are going to be the way to go for this.

AquaBluMom

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ohh okay, I was mainly concerned about the possibility off ammonia + very high nitrates.
Okay, so the fix for very high nitrates is a bit different than normal water changes.
The fish would now be acclimated to the high nitrates, and changing them too quickly can shock them.
It's rough, but it works. Do 3-4 15% water changes tomorrow (or start today), then a few 25% changes, then you can up it to 50% water changes. Nitrazorb only removed about 20-30 of my nitrates at a time, so water changes are going to be the way to go for this.
Thanks. I’ll give it a shot tomorrow. Any suggestions on the major algae explosion? Many of my Mystery snails are covered in it! My Mysteries and Siamese Algae eaters aren’t eating squat!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks. I’ll give it a shot tomorrow. Any suggestions on the major algae explosion? Many of my Mystery snails are covered in it! My Mysteries and Siamese Algae eaters aren’t eating squat!
Lots of water changes will lower your nitrates and phosphates, the algae won't be able to grow, and the SAE should take care of it. Mysteries won't, mainly because of the amount of animal based protein they need to eat, makes them poor algae eaters. It's very likely that your little dudes are eating a significant amount, but there are just so many nutrients that are perfect for algae, they're not making a dent

AquaBluMom

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lots of water changes will lower your nitrates and phosphates, the algae won't be able to grow, and the SAE should take care of it. Mysteries won't, mainly because of the amount of animal based protein they need to eat, makes them poor algae eaters. It's very likely that your little dudes are eating a significant amount, but there are just so many nutrients that are perfect for algae, they're not making a dent
Ya...They failed to mention Mysteries aren’t good algae eaters. But they’re great fun to watch!
Here’s hoping the nitrates start going down with this new plan of attack.

AquaBluMom

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey Rtessy! Well, I did a 25% water change Tuesday and replaced it with Spring and Distilled water. Added the usual Seachem Alkaline Buffer, Prime, Equilibrium and Remediation. Checked the Nitrates Thursday and they were still RED but not the blood red it had been. Everything else was good; pH 7.4, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0.

Did another water change Friday night, about 15% and the tank was finally looking really good. Had gotten pretty much all of the algae off the glass and the fish and snails seemed quite happy. Then much to my surprise, shock and disappointment, about 10:30pm, I discovered the tank had sprung a major leak!! By the time I found it was down 3-5 gallons! :nailbiting: Of course the next thing was rescue mode! Manage to save enough water and transfer all 150+ snails and fish into the 10 gallon tank I never got around to giving away!

Just now finally found and bought a new tank. Couldn’t find another 29 gallon tote anywhere, so settle for a 30 gallon high. Now have to make modifications to the stand so we can get this on it. Any idea how long my fish and sale can last in the 10 gallon tank? It’ll probably take at least a day to get a base prepared. I know it’s really crowded in there right now! But at least they’re all still alive and my nitrate issue is most definitely gone! LOL

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey Rtessy! Well, I did a 25% water change Tuesday and replaced it with Spring and Distilled water. Added the usual Seachem Alkaline Buffer, Prime, Equilibrium and Remediation. Checked the Nitrates Thursday and they were still RED but not the blood red it had been. Everything else was good; pH 7.4, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0.

Did another water change Friday night, about 15% and the tank was finally looking really good. Had gotten pretty much all of the algae off the glass and the fish and snails seemed quite happy. Then much to my surprise, shock and disappointment, about 10:30pm, I discovered the tank had sprung a major leak!! By the time I found it was down 3-5 gallons! :nailbiting: Of course the next thing was rescue mode! Manage to save enough water and transfer all 150+ snails and fish into the 10 gallon tank I never got around to giving away!

Just now finally found and bought a new tank. Couldn’t find another 29 gallon tote anywhere, so settle for a 30 gallon high. Now have to make modifications to the stand so we can get this on it. Any idea how long my fish and sale can last in the 10 gallon tank? It’ll probably take at least a day to get a base prepared. I know it’s really crowded in there right now! But at least they’re all still alive and my nitrate issue is most definitely gone! LOL
Yikes!! Hope you can sort that out soon! Sorry, I haven't experienced anything like that, so I'm not sure.
The main issue with your nitrates is your water changes. Try doing several changes a day since you're doing smaller water changes, this will help avoid shock. A single 15% won't really do anything. If you had 160ppm and do a 15%, that only brings them down to around 140ppm.

AquaBluMom

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yikes!! Hope you can sort that out soon! Sorry, I haven't experienced anything like that, so I'm not sure.
The main issue with your nitrates is your water changes. Try doing several changes a day since you're doing smaller water changes, this will help avoid shock. A single 15% won't really do anything. If you had 160ppm and do a 15%, that only brings them down to around 140ppm.
I think I’m still a little green when it comes to “Posting format.” From your reply I’m not sure you read my whole post. I need to remember not to put a space between paragraphs. I had to do a WHOLE TANK CHANGE! :nailbiting: I went into detail earlier...long and short of it...I’m pretty sure the Nitrate issue is now resolved.
Got the new tank setup tonight and tomorrow I’ll transfer everybody over once the temp is right and water reads good.

AquaBluMom

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
looks like mantle collapse from lack of calcium in water
(it's trap door thing broke)
is the snail still alive??
Calcium is good. His trapdoor was not broken. He was very swollen, to the point he was bulging out of his shell.
Yes, he did die. :sorry:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom