Funny My Mystery Snail Got Her Antenna Caught Under Her Foot!

Anika
I looked over at my mystery snail and suddenly grew great concern for her as she had one of her antennae under her foot! Was about to post this to see if she was okay but soon saw her recover and pull it back up! My mystery snail likes to give me at least one little scare daily!
20180301_101316.jpg

Triston Wasmund
May I ask the setup you have going on? And maybe your ph? My mystery snail has been acting ill for some weeks. Wont come out of his shell, and if he does he is only half way out on his side. Never moves or anything. Still alive though, but I don't know how. I think it might be because of my hardness but I can't check that.

Anika
May I ask the setup you have going on? And maybe your ph? My mystery snail has been acting ill for some weeks. Wont come out of his shell, and if he does he is only half way out on his side. Never moves or anything. Still alive though, but I don't know how. I think it might be because of my hardness but I can't check that.
I have her in the fluval spec 2.6 gallon tank. The tank is cycled as far as small tanks can be. My ph is at about 7-8 and I have some cuttlebone in the filter for calcium. I'm so sorry to hear your mystery isn't doing too good! I like to give my snail an algae wafer every now and then to vary her diet and she loves them, maybe you could try to do that to perk him up and get him out of his shell?

Triston Wasmund
I have her in the fluval spec 2.6 gallon tank. The tank is cycled as far as small tanks can be. My ph is at about 7-8 and I have some cuttlebone in the filter for calcium. I'm so sorry to hear your mystery isn't doing too good! I like to give my snail an algae wafer every now and then to vary her diet and she loves them, maybe you could try to do that to perk him up and get him out of his shell?
I will have to buy some. But yeah I guess I could try that.

Anika
I will have to buy some. But yeah I guess I could try that.
This is the stuff I get for my snail: HikarI tropical algae wafers. She's been on them since I got her, over two months ago.
1519925600348.jpeg
1519925616317.jpeg

fastraver
I had the same thing happen to my Neon Flux. Never saw her do that before.

If they move if you touch it or move if a fish touchs it. It is kinda going through a hibernation phase. Can last about 2 weeks.

fastraver
I looked over at my mystery snail and suddenly grew great concern for her as she had one of her antennae under her foot! Was about to post this to see if she was okay but soon saw her recover and pull it back up! My mystery snail likes to give me at least one little scare daily! View attachment 414661
My Neon Flux loves to go into my filter and mouth of a fake saber tooth tiger skull.

The filter is about 1 and 3/4 from the lid and the mouth is small due to the teeth. I just shake my head.

Triston Wasmund
I had the same thing happen to my Neon Flux. Never saw her do that before.

If they move if you touch it or move if a fish touchs it. It is kinda going through a hibernation phase. Can last about 2 weeks.
Oh really? Well, I'm not sure if this is what my guy is doing. I have caught him a quarter out of his shell and was just sitting there. Put the fish net near him and he retracted. I can usually see part of him and he just stays like that. At first I would put him upright because he was upside down. Come next morning he was retracted and upside down again. This kept happening. He doesn't move an inch or anything anymore. But somehow he is still alive. He has been doing this for more than 2 weeks, and I don't even think he has eaten anything for over 2 weeks. I was thinking it was my water hardness, but I have no way of testing it so I am just assuming. I really do hope he is just in hibernation mode like you said. I have never seen him fully out though in a while.

fastraver
More then 2 weeks is a little long.

Hope it turns around for you. I would just keep feeding a little at a time. There is some movement. I would also pick him up and smell him.

Smells like a pond he is okay. Smells rotten or real nasty. Then that is bad sign.

Triston Wasmund
More then 2 weeks is a little long.

Hope it turns around for you. I would just keep feeding a little at a time. There is some movement. I would also pick him up and smell him.

Smells like a pond he is okay. Smells rotten or real nasty. Then that is bad sign.
Well, I can try a green bean or some type of vegetable as that's all I have for now, or at least until next month. As far as him being dead I know he isn't because when I put something near him he retracts, even though he is barely even out to start with. I will try the smell test later today, as ever since I moved him to a corner of the tank yesterday , he was upside down so I moved him, he has been fully retracted. Thanks.

Anika
Well, I can try a green bean or some type of vegetable as that's all I have for now, or at least until next month. As far as him being dead I know he isn't because when I put something near him he retracts, even though he is barely even out to start with. I will try the smell test later today, as ever since I moved him to a corner of the tank yesterday , he was upside down so I moved him, he has been fully retracted. Thanks.
You could try to give him a slice of zucchini, that could get him out of the shell. Not too sure what else to do here other than try to coax him out with food and make sure he's eating.

Bithimala
If canned, just make sure there's no salt added. Green beans are usually a hit in my tanks.

Pringlethesnail
Just a reminder that mystery snails are omnivores and need a varied diet! Those algae wafers are a great start for them but should not be the primary diet. I use the orange package HikarI bottom feeder wafers and those have meat and veggies in them. I do the orange packet 6 days a week and the green package 1 day a week. It is best to give a tiny piece every day like 1/10 of the algae wafers or 1/4-1/2 of the orange package ones every day and I wouldn’t go longer than three days between feedings. Make sure the tank is heated and filtered for these guys! They make amazing pets! I breed them. Let me know if you have any questions! Attached is a few from my latest batch of cuties
IMG_6451.JPG

Anika
Just a reminder that mystery snails are omnivores and need a varied diet! Those algae wafers are a great start for them but should not be the primary diet. I use the orange package HikarI bottom feeder wafers and those have meat and veggies in them. I do the orange packet 6 days a week and the green package 1 day a week. It is best to give a tiny piece every day like 1/10 of the algae wafers or 1/4-1/2 of the orange package ones every day and I wouldn’t go longer than three days between feedings. Make sure the tank is heated and filtered for these guys! They make amazing pets! I breed them. Let me know if you have any questions! Attached is a few from my latest batch of cuties View attachment 416924
Thanks for the info! I didn't realize they were omnivores! I have read on many sites to give them a veggie diet. I will buy those wafers asap! Yes, my tank is filtered and heated. Do you have a dirt substrate in your tank? I have soil in my baby tank topped with some gravel but I have noticed they have got lots of dirt stuck in their shell! Do you know if that will bother them? I saw one trying to fling some dirt out.

Pringlethesnail
It’s totally not your fault. There’s pretty much nothing online about them. I will probably make a care sheet because I’ve learned so much by keeping them and breeding them these last few years. I definitely made big mistakes at the beginning. I have very small gravel in mine. I’ve never had dirt, but I did have a very small grain sand in the past and had no issues. Could you get a picture of the dirt in their shell? Also everyone is always saying cuttlebone to help with the shell and it makes very little difference. Now, I use calcium powder (from the reptile section) and it works amazing. Check the ingredients and make sure there is only calcium phosphate and vitamin D in it. No other ingredients. If it doesn’t have vitamin D that’s fine too! For your sized tank I would put about half a teaspoon in every water change.

Anika
It’s totally not your fault. There’s pretty much nothing online about them. I will probably make a care sheet because I’ve learned so much by keeping them and breeding them these last few years. I definitely made big mistakes at the beginning. I have very small gravel in mine. I’ve never had dirt, but I did have a very small grain sand in the past and had no issues. Could you get a picture of the dirt in their shell? Also everyone is always saying cuttlebone to help with the shell and it makes very little difference. Now, I use calcium powder (from the reptile section) and it works amazing. Check the ingredients and make sure there is only calcium phosphate and vitamin D in it. No other ingredients. If it doesn’t have vitamin D that’s fine too! For your sized tank I would put about half a teaspoon in every water change.
Here's a picture of them with the dirt under their shells. Thanks again for the information! You've been a great help! I'll be heading to a pet store today to get the wafers you recommended I'll look for the calcium powder while I'm there! I've been using cuttlebone so I'll replace that with the powder! I appreciate your info!
20180307_230201.jpeg

Anika
I bought some calcium supplement at the pet store (just pure calcium powder), how much would you say to put in a 20 gallon tank? I've got my babies in a 20 gallon and one adult in my 2.6 gallon
Also, those HikarI orange package wafers are a hit! A few seconds after putting one in my baby tank, 2 of the 4 found it and just clung to it! One was even hogging it for a while!

Pringlethesnail
Omg I know they love it so much! I use about a tablespoon of calcium in my 20 gallon. Also if you have bettas in the tank it doesn’t harm them at all. The tank will get cloudy for a bit which will scare the betta at least the first few times but it doesn’t harm them. After awhile my betta just calmly went to his bed when he saw the calcium and waited for it to clear. Mystery snails won't keep eating when they’re full like fish. So you can try different amounts of the food as they grow. If there is extra food just feed less next time. As they grow you’ll probably need to experiment a bit to see how much they will eat! Also if you feed them in the exact same spot every day they will go there when they are hungry and that’s a big help. If I see a snail looking around in that area I’ll add a piece of food and if more smell the food and come over I put in more food. Granted I have over 100 mystery’s right now lol. I’m so happy for you! I love those little guys so much and I’m happy you’ve improved their life so much! Oh jeez I got so excited I almost forgot! That’s not your dirt! That’s their digestive tract! The poop swirls around and falls out in front of their face on their right side. If they were flicking it out it was probably because it was dangling and annoying them or they were hungry and decided to snack on their poop. It does happen sometimes lol.

Anika
Omg I know they love it so much! I use about a tablespoon of calcium in my 20 gallon. Also if you have bettas in the tank it doesn’t harm them at all. The tank will get cloudy for a bit which will scare the betta at least the first few times but it doesn’t harm them. After awhile my betta just calmly went to his bed when he saw the calcium and waited for it to clear. Mystery snails won't keep eating when they’re full like fish. So you can try different amounts of the food as they grow. If there is extra food just feed less next time. As they grow you’ll probably need to experiment a bit to see how much they will eat! Also if you feed them in the exact same spot every day they will go there when they are hungry and that’s a big help. If I see a snail looking around in that area I’ll add a piece of food and if more smell the food and come over I put in more food. Granted I have over 100 mystery’s right now lol. I’m so happy for you! I love those little guys so much and I’m happy you’ve improved their life so much! Oh jeez I got so excited I almost forgot! That’s not your dirt! That’s their digestive tract! The poop swirls around and falls out in front of their face on their right side. If they were flicking it out it was probably because it was dangling and annoying them or they were hungry and decided to snack on their poop. It does happen sometimes lol.
Great! Thanks again for the info! I have heard of people not being able to keep mysteries alive for more than 6 months so hopefully they'll do well with your tips! You've been a great help! Thanks so much!

Anika
Wow! That sure made my tank cloudy!! Good thing I did it close to lights off time! How long does it usually take to clear up? (Don't mind my snails pooping away up there)
20180309_212924.jpg

fastraver
Pringlethesnail
Thanks for the info. I asked all my local pet/fish stores. They told me they only calcium they have is crushed shell. You mention check the reptile section. Yup. They are right. It seems here in Canada or my town. Don't carry calcium powder. That is why I went the cuttle bone route.

I have two SA cichlids. So I need to be careful on the amount of cuttle bone or calcium I put in.

But thanks for the info. Once I get my other tank. I will try that.

Anika
Pringlethesnail
Thanks for the info. I asked all my local pet/fish stores. They told me they only calcium they have is crushed shell. You mention check the reptile section. Yup. They are right. It seems here in Canada or my town. Don't carry calcium powder. That is why I went the cuttle bone route.

I have two SA cichlids. So I need to be careful on the amount of cuttle bone or calcium I put in.

But thanks for the info. Once I get my other tank. I will try that.
I was able to find it in Canada just fine! Good luck with your tank!

Anika
My tank cleared up in a few hours. Looks like the calcium settled on the plants and gravel. Cool to see my bladder worm's movement pattern on the leaves
20180310_095731.jpg

Anika
Pringlethesnail I didn't mention this earlier but your snails are beautiful! I would do anything to get my hands on a purple mystery snail like yours!

Pringlethesnail
It usually takes a few hours to clear up! And pooping like that just means they’re well fed babies! Yay! I don’t know where in Canada you live but if there’s a chance it’s near Niagara Falls, Ottawa, or Toronto I could try to get you some. They tend to get more pinkish red when they get older though. I’m actually a Canadian so I visit family there every so often. I know Canada is huge so it’s a low chance.

And to the person who couldn’t find it, it’s on Amazon!

Anika
It usually takes a few hours to clear up! And pooping like that just means they’re well fed babies! Yay! I don’t know where in Canada you live but if there’s a chance it’s near Niagara Falls, Ottawa, or Toronto I could try to get you some. They tend to get more pinkish red when they get older though. I’m actually a Canadian so I visit family there every so often. I know Canada is huge so it’s a low chance.

And to the person who couldn’t find it, it’s on Amazon!
Haha thanks but I'm in Alberta so it's pretty far from Ottawa! I guess my hunt will continue!

Anika
Did a bit of a search for a nice colourful mystery snail and found this beauty! Not purple but I love the shell colour!
20180311_191735.jpeg

Anika
Also, Pringlethesnail I rescued a black mystery snail today. Poor guy was stuck upside down and couldn't correct himself because all the guppies in the pet store tank would pick at him! He wouldn't have survived if he was in that tank any longer! I have had him for a few hours now and I haven't seen him fully come out his shell yet. Just acclimated my new additions to my snail tank. Do you have any tips to help me get this poor guy to recover? His shell is very rough! He does seem like he wants to come out but I think he is traumatized from his past tank mates! My heart broke for the little guy and I just had to give him a shot!
20180311_191558.jpg

Anika
Here's a better picture of my rescue mystery snail, as you can see, he's sort if coming out the shell but the other is the same so I'm not too concerned about that right now
20180311_201110.jpg

Pringlethesnail
Hey!
From his operculum you can tell he is sick/ injured but still has potential for full recovery! You need to float him in a smaller container in the tank in about an inch or two of water. He is too weak to climb the wall for air so this will give him access to air while laying down recovering. Because we are talking about almost no water in the container/ cup you put him in you should gently change the water whenever you can as much as every four hours or as little as twice a day. Floating the cup in the tank will keep it warm and make it easy to change the water. Hopefully in less than 24 hours he will get up and be snailing in the container. Depending on the condition he can go back in or get more water in the cup for some light climbing. If you put a little piece of food in the cup make sure it’s completely gone after an hour and change the water out because with so little water it gets contaminated easily! I’ve had many snails with worse shells than that and I think he will be snailing around in no time!
Would you mind sending me a picture of his spiral?

Anika
Hey!
From his operculum you can tell he is sick/ injured but still has potential for full recovery! You need to float him in a smaller container in the tank in about an inch or two of water. He is too weak to climb the wall for air so this will give him access to air while laying down recovering. Because we are talking about almost no water in the container/ cup you put him in you should gently change the water whenever you can as much as every four hours or as little as twice a day. Floating the cup in the tank will keep it warm and make it easy to change the water. Hopefully in less than 24 hours he will get up and be snailing in the container. Depending on the condition he can go back in or get more water in the cup for some light climbing. If you put a little piece of food in the cup make sure it’s completely gone after an hour and change the water out because with so little water it gets contaminated easily! I’ve had many snails with worse shells than that and I think he will be snailing around in no time!
Would you mind sending me a picture of his spiral?
Thank you! I have had him and the other guy in my tank all night and they both haven't moved from the spot I placed them. The copper coloured one has come out of his shell a bit and I noticed one antenna is missing. The other guy has been hanging partially out of his shell since last night. I am just seeing your comment so I will put the black one in a tupperware container floating in the water until he seems stong enough to get air. I'll also monitor the other one and put him in the container if he seems weak as well. I tried to get a picture of his spiral but it was not facing me, hopefully this picture will do! Should I put some calcium powder in the smaller container? Should I cut holes in the container so the snail can have access to fresh water from the tank?

Attachments

• 20180312_161932.jpeg
    20180312_161932.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 88
Anika
Sorry, I thought both pictures uploaded. Here's the one of his spiral

Anika

20180312_162054.jpeg

Anika
Both snails seem very weak! I think I will put them both into a floating container. The copper snail is out of his shell but not moving around and looks like his face is stuck in the gravel. I will post a picture when I get one.

Anika
Sorry! I'm having issues with this app right now! Here are some more pics of him
20180312_162050.jpg
20180312_162040.jpg
20180312_162020.jpg

Anika
After having them in there for almost 24 hours, shouldnt they be moving a lot more? The copper one was stuck on its side for a bit, I figured it could correct itself but it took quite a few hours for him to get back onto his foot

Attachments

• 20180312_163521.jpeg
    20180312_163521.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 20180312_163514.jpeg
    20180312_163514.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20180312_163449.jpeg
    20180312_163449.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 61
Anika
Pringlethesnail, I put them in a Tupperware floating in the tank, they seem more active now. They both climbed the walls! The black mystery snail's foot looks very small for his shell size though! Maybe he just doesn't have it stretched out. Sorry it's not a clear picture
20180312_231910.jpeg

Anika

20180312_232855.jpeg
Both snails seem much happier and active in the container! They're making their way all around the bottom and up the walls! Might put them back in the big tank tomorrow if they keep it up! (Sorry for the abundance of comments!!)

Anika
(Sorry, another comment) I noticed that the snail has a few dark spots on his foot. Should I give him an air bath? Pringlethesnail
20180314_155953.jpg

Pringlethesnail
Sorry! I have midterms at university so I’ve been crazy! If you guys ever have an urgent question pm me and I will get an email! And I love the comments lol I will never get annoyed with snails. The spiral looks okay so I’m relieved about that. The floating container usually works really well. Yay!! The black mystery isn’t stretched out they do that when they feel like they are having trouble clinging on. What’s an air bath? In all my years of mystery snails I’ve never heard that! The dark spots are fine it’s just his color. His operculum looks much better already! How is the yellow/orange one?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishtailBraid
Replies
Views
Thaijade
  • aquafrogg
  • Snails
Replies
Views
aquafrogg