My mystery snail egg clutch is hatching!

Discussion in 'Snails' started by kidster9700, Jul 27, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Okay, so it looks like two of the eggs hatched... I don't see the babies though. I have the eggs on a sponge wedged in my breeder net because the sponge kept sinking. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438040494.422338.jpg
    What do I need to do? Where are the little snails? Ahhhh! This clutch is from a black and a striped snail I want to see the babies!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Also, she apparently already laid a new clutch -_- ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438040702.615396.jpg

3. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

The babies are micro when they first hatch, about the size of a pinhead and kind of clearish. Though looking at your clutch it doesn't look like it's hatching yet. ..they get sort of dark and crusty looking when they're hatching (ime). A couple of the pods might have just deteriorated,this happens sometimes. Do you see a bunch of little black dots in the eggs? If any did hatch, they often take a while to make it to the water, especially with a sponge like that, they may get caught in it a little.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

The eggs all looked good yesterday so idk. And should I put something between the eggs and sponge so they can climb easier? Like a plastic sheet? I can't really see through the eggs at all. But here's the new clutch ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438042031.760258.jpg
    Vs the one that's over a week old ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438042060.756231.jpg

5. Bijou88

At a week old you should be getting the black dots, and it probably isn't hatching yet. They usually take between 10 and 14 days to hatch. The older clutch might be infertile or it might just not be far enough along to see the babies yet. Trust me though, if it's fertile you'll be able to see the dots at some point. Something smooth on top of the sponge is a good idea imo, just to be safe.

6. Bijou88

7. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

i checked it out. yeah my eggs definitely don't have the spots! :( i know the clutch was like, two days old last monday so thats 9 days? so maybe there's still time for the eggs to develop. theres a glolight tetra in the breeder net, but i'm not too worried about him eating the eggs. i think i'm going to put a paper towel over the sponge.

8. Bijou88

Unfortunately the clutch may be infertile then, it happens sometimes. I've gotten 3 or 4 that were infertile so far. If by about 14/16 days you still don't have any black dots it's not going to produce babies :( give it a few more days and see what happens. Mystery snail babies and green beans, just so you see what I mean about the enthusiasm, the babies are a few days old here.

Attached Files:

9. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

That's weird that it would be infertile. The male is ALWAYS on her.

10. Bijou88

Same with mine, she'd lay some fertile ones and then an occasional infertile one. Don't know why, it just happens sometimes.

11. Bijou88

Anything ever happen with your clutches?

12. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Nah. The second one drowned accidentally. And then my male just died :( the striped one. My gold inca doesn't go near the female so I don't know if it's a male or what. I'm gonna get another striped mystery I think, and then either a blue or an ivory.

13. Bijou88

Aw, that's too bad. I'm sorry for your loss too, he was a really pretty snail :(

14. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Hopefully the store still stocks "striped snail" lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice