My Mystery Snail Died, What do I do?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by viper526, Dec 29, 2012.

1. v

viper526 New Member Member

Hi, my mystery snail just died and I do not know what to do. It is a 10G tank with 1 other full grown mystery snail, and some babies. It also has 2 african dwarf frogs. The snail was literally out of its shell. What do I do to keep the others safe? His shell also is much lighter now.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

It's very difficult to diagnose or treat inverts. Hopefully someone will have some advice.

3. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

Hello sorry to hear of your loss as Jaysee said it can be really hard to diagnose snails.

A couple of the main reasons for snail demise are bullying fish or water parameters so as they are in with frogs we can eliminate one so the other is the water.

Has your parameters been stable have you been keeping an eye on ph?

Do you feed then veggies ie zucchini to help their shells (it contains calcium) what are you feeding them?

I've lost snails for no apparent reason and it is really disheartening but hopefully we can get to the cause

4. shellieca

shellieca Valued Member Member

Sorry you lost a snail. First I would test the water to make sure all is OK. When something dies you can get ammonia unless you get it out as soon as it dies. You may need to do a water change. How long had you had him/her. My understanding on mystery snails is they only live around a year or so.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice