My Mudskippers...

emeraldking
Some of my mudskippers (Periophthalmus novemradiatus) which are kept in a paludarium with brackish water in it...
I'm really in love with these asian fish. They're curious, funny, they can walk and they can even climb...

DSCF2072.JPG

DSCF2075.JPG

DSCF2069.JPG

DSCF2062.JPG

DSCF2044.JPG
They use their pectoral fins as legs. They look very sweet but they tend to be really territorial against their own kind. So overhere, I'm offering them sufficient space to find their own spot within the paludarium. Most of the time they'll stay on dry land. The humidity in the paludarium should be around 60-80%. If it's not humid enough, they'll jump into the water to keep themselves moist.
It's the ideal fish for someone who just can't decide whether to keep a fish or an amphibian.
Btw, this fish is a carnivore. I give them insects, dried shrimps, daphnia, tubifex and artemia.

mcloomis
cute.

coralbandit
Too cool !
If they weren't brackish I would be showing you mine in my paludarium.
My LFS has had them lately and I researched them a couple months ago.
I decided to keep my paludarium soft water.

Charlie’s Dad
Very cool!!!! I like.....

Charlie’s Dad
Very cool!!!! I like.....

emeraldking
Too cool !
If they weren't brackish I would be showing you mine in my paludarium.
My LFS has had them lately and I researched them a couple months ago.
I decided to keep my paludarium soft water.
I do believe that most mudskipper species are brackish. I chose this mudskipper species for their size. There are some that become way bigger.

Lacey D
Those are amazing!! I've heard that they have a lot of personality, and are basically fish-puppies

Tsukkomu
I love them. they're super cool. maybe someday I will own a paladarium.

ValerieAdams
So jealous. They're very cute!

emeraldking
Those are amazing!! I've heard that they have a lot of personality, and are basically fish-puppies
They certainly do have a personality... And yes, they become very tame. They will eat out of your hand...
I love them. they're super cool. maybe someday I will own a paladarium.
You can treat them like real pets...
So jealous. They're very cute!
Yeah... a bit too cute!

aussieJJDude
They cute! I would love to see full tank pics if you have the chance.

coralbandit
OK do you keep fish with them ?
I just read my Red Picta would like brackish water so now I may have a DT opening that could accommodate both..
I know I would really enjoy them together if possible .

emeraldking
They cute! I would love to see full tank pics if you have the chance.

IMG_4795.jpg

IMG_4796.jpg

IMG_4797.jpg

IMG_4798.jpg

OK do you keep fish with them ?
I just read my Red Picta would like brackish water so now I may have a DT opening that could accommodate both..
I know I would really enjoy them together if possible .
In general they leave other kinds of fish alone. It's more a matter of offering space that makes the harmony between these and other fish in one biotope.

R H
Great stuff! I think the guys are awesome and would love to keep some one day. Out here in Hawaii, there is a freshwater variety but not sure if they're any rule about keeping them.

Top Bottom