My MTS substrate...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by Junne, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Well it seems that way anyway. This is only 1/4 of my 6.6 gallon Fluval tank.

I've only had these MTS since late July. So far I have shipped a few packages to people to thin them out and got 1 Assassin to help keep the population under control.

I don't feed them but maybe one small algae tablet once a month but they sure do breed. Must be my "Love shack" waters.

BTW - I started with 7 of these guys in July. I must have over 300 now!
    These are the ones you see in the day - at night its much worse!

20121204_090331.jpg

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I have more ;D

I take them out by the handful from my 55 gallon.

3. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

And I thought my snail population was bad :jawdrop: :;laughing

4. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

dude... that is an awesome looking picture Junne :)

holy cow CN thats a bunch... but I bet I still have you both beat ;) give me a few hours with some barely pellets and I will snap a few photos ;)

5. OP
    OP
    Junne

I'm not a dude :;laughing

But seriously, this is in just less than 5 months!!! It only shows one corner of the tank during the day - you should see it at night! It literally scares me!!!! :;jaws

6. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Dudet then... xD and for just 5 months that is a lot for 7 MTS but it could always be worse ;)

7. C

At night, when they come out and are all over the glass...

8. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Mine seem to be very considerate of the aesthetics of my tank. When I turn on the light in the morning they are allover the substrate finishing up the previous days fish poo, a few minutes later they're burrowed away, leaving me a nice clean tank w/o my substrate being covered by them. I only feed them fish poo and sometimes they get on the veggies I leave for my other fish but I suspend them to curb that.

9. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

I bet my population of them will get worse pretty soon. I have 3 or 4 in my 75 Gallon and 2 in my 20 Gallon. I don't want to have to stir the sand, and as with Mbunas being moderate poopers, I want it to stay cleaner.

10. C

I have RCS to feed as well. Makes it hard not to feed the darn snails.

11. OP
    OP
    Junne

Mine just make my tank look "dirty"
    I wouldn't mind a few but honestly, the adults that I got had to have been pregnant because I DON'T overfeed, if anything I don't feed much at all. And All I have is a Betta in the tank - :confused:

12. Matt B

Darn near impossible! My ghosties have learned if they want something other than poo and detritus they have to swim to the top when I feed and grab what they can. Pretty hilarious watching them jostle with fish for food.

13. C

They are Asexual. They don't need help making babies.

14. A

Just one will multiply over a period of time, and not long.

15. Matt B

Maybe try not feeding them anything, they eat whatever, they'll be fine and the excess will die off as food in your tank is used up. They'll probably do a better job keeping the place tidy if they have to work for it. ;)

Yep, Cichlidnut is right, one will do ya'.

16. OP
    OP
    Junne

Well I do have to say, not one spot of diatoms in my tank!!! A while back, I started noticing the filter intake tube ( its clear ) starting to get a bit brown. So I was going to clean it on the next water change but somehow, the mts got through a hole in the bottom of my pre-filter sponge and next thing you know, a few got in there and cleaned it up for me!!! Like in a matter of days it was spot clean!!! So I guess they were hungry!!! LOL

17. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

PC040003.jpg they were busy making some more crop well sand circles in the night haha

18. OP
    OP
    Junne

:) I think its funny looking at the trails and how they drag their butts in the sand - some of mine just keep going in concentric circles - :;laughing

19. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

im debating getting an assassin snail to poach a few.. with their growth rate i think 1 assassin would keep them in check without complete annihilation ;o

20. A

Am I going to end up regretting my 3 MTS in my 75 Gallon? (Crossing fingers for the answer I want).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice