My mom got me a ADF ( african dwarf frog)

should i keep my ADF (african dwarf frog) or give it back to the pet store

• keep my ADF and lrean more about him/she

• give my ADF to the pet store i got him/she from

• give the ADF to one of my frieds that keeps fish as well

Results are only viewable after voting.

fishplace

so yeah my mom got me a ADF idk how to care for this pet and have a 29 gallon tank with a molly and a pleco with a ton of snails. she also got ADF food and the frog is so tiny it is hard to find. the food is so small I don't think the frog will be albel to find the food. I feed my ADF omega one frog and tadpole pellets does anyone know any more frog food that is easy to feed idk what to do help pls

pls give me info of how to ither care for the frog or USA ohio pet stores that will take this frog back both will help a lot thx
IMG_20191127_182610.jpg

kallililly1973

Be sure you have a tight lid especially seeing you have a 29. They like to go up for air and the taller tank may make them try to lunge that extra bit to get there. I didn't have good luck with mine one jumped and the other had a bad fungal infection that overwhelmed him quickly. Your best bet is to A. if your gonna keep him put a lid right away and get a syringe so you can spot feed him cuz they have bad eyesight or B. If your looking to return him is bring him back to the same place or check local fish stores in your area to see if you can get credit to return him. Good luck!

fishplace

I have a really tight lid and the frog is the size of a penny mostof the time he/she just hides I can barly ever spot him/she thx for the info

kallililly1973

I have a really tight lid and the frog is the size of a penny mostof the time he/she just hides I can barly ever spot him/she thx for the info
When your able to spot him. i'm sure everyone would enjoy a pic of your new addition

fishplace

ok I will try to, I am on my laptop so that will be hard I will get a few pics of everthing.
but I have a quston so I don't know how to post stuff on here I just started today and I have to go to this email that says inderdoce yourself and retitle it what I want can you tech me pls thx for the idea I will try to get a few pics

kallililly1973

Make a thread from that email and then I believe once you have a few more posts you will be able to reply and such... takes a little bit of getting used to but its easy once you figure it out.

fishplace

thx I will use this info
I took a few pics they all look bad I could not find the frog but once I do I will be sure to take a pic
also I am having a probelm with my molly her/his name is puppy idk why lol but I think she is sick

aquafrogg

Hi! I’m pretty new to African dwarf frogs (only had them for maybe a month or so now) but I could probably help.

They like warmer waters, I keep mine with my betta (around 79° F). They do have poor eyesight and most people set up feeding stations for them. However I have not had to do that because mine are good at foraging in the gravel and plants and I have tons of snails to eat leftovers. You could even hand feed it with tweezers. They do like to jump so make sure your lid is secure. Also make sure your parameters are perfect (0|0|0-20) because they are very sensitive. They are not like fish and only need to eat maybe every other day. However their guts are larger so you can feed them a lot before it becomes an issue. You can feed them frog pellets, shrimp wafers, and any sort of frozen foods. Mine eat HBH frog pellets, HikarI shrimp sticks, frozen blood worms, and frozen brine shrimp. They also are pretty funny and will do weird things like floating at the top. But that doesn’t mean they are sick.

Hope this helps!!

fishplace

so you know about the story of my getting me a ADF without me knowing, well I have been wanting to rescape my tank for a while.
I think that I could do better with the scape but I was holding off on it becuse I would have to move around a lot of and this would help with the snail probelm but it would stress out the fish.
I wanted to know if I should rescape it know so then it fits the frogs home better and looks better to the eyes but this would make a lot of stress but it would be good for the frog
ither A. I do it and the frog is happy
B. I do it and the frog gets stress out
or C. I don't do it and the frog has trobel finding its food

idk know what to do help

fishplace

this helped a lot but I am having a probelm with feeding all I have right now are frog pellets but I will look into the shrimp wafers and stuff I would love for this frog to live a happy life but my ammonia is not looking to good thx for the info

thank you I will look into these sites this helps a lot

aquafrogg

this helped a lot but I am having a probelm with feeding all I have right now are frog pellets but I will look into the shrimp wafers and stuff I would love for this frog to live a happy life but my ammonia is not looking to good thx for the info

thank you I will look into these sites this helps a lot
Yes rescape the tank. Mine don’t care when I rescape. I constantly have my hands in there. Just be careful not to squish anyone.

Also, do you know about the nitrogen cycle? There are many more factors than just ammonia. What are your exact parameters?

fishplace

I do know about the nitrogen cycle, when I first started I went to petco as a newbe and said I can just get the ammonia test kit and guessed on the others. I
am working up money to buy the master test kit, my ammonia is at a 4.0 I know that is really bad but I do water changes on sat and wed every week. I am think on my next water change I just move around one or two plant so it does not stress them out to much and do it little by little until I get my tank just the way it needs to be for the frog to live

aquafrogg

I do know about the nitrogen cycle, when I first started I went to petco as a newbe and said I can just get the ammonia test kit and guessed on the others. I
am working up money to buy the master test kit, my ammonia is at a 4.0 I know that is really bad but I do water changes on sat and wed every week. I am think on my next water change I just move around one or two plant so it does not stress them out to much and do it little by little until I get my tank just the way it needs to be for the frog to live
Oh wow 4.0 ammonia needs daily water changes. That amount is extremely lethal for all fish. You should try doing daily 50%+ water changes until that does down to as close to 0ppm as possible. That is what is poisoning your fish.

fishplace

Oh wow 4.0 ammonia needs daily water changes. That amount is extremely lethal for all fish. You should try doing daily 50%+ water changes until that does down to as close to 0ppm as possible. That is what is poisoning your fish.
ok thanks and when you say daily do you mean ever day 50% water change I will work vrey hard on this and will try my best to get this down thanks for the info if it becomes worse I will most likely rehome my fish I know this is sad but I want the best for my fish and I know this is really sad I love my fish and thank you on the info

aquafrogg

ok thanks and when you say daily do you mean ever day 50% water change I will work vrey hard on this and will try my best to get this down thanks for the info if it becomes worse I will most likely rehome my fish I know this is sad but I want the best for my fish and I know this is really sad I love my fish and thank you on the info
Yes every day 50% water change or more

AngryRainbow

As stated above, yes you're going to have to do water changes every day.

Sounds like you're doing a fish in cycle. Once you get the test kit and can measure nitrites (which will probably spike next after your ammonia starts processing). You want the added total of ammonia and nitrite to never be above 1ppm (but the lower the better). Prime water conditioner can help you too as it makes small amounts of ammonia and nitrites nontoxic for 24-48 hours.

To figure out how much water you need to change, use some math. Let's assume you have no nitrites, since you can't test for that yet. That means you need to do at least a 75% change to get to 1ppm ammonia. 4ppm x .75= 3ppm so you remove 3ppm ammonia with the water change.

When doing such large changes, it is very important to make sure the temperature and pH of the tank water and the new water match

fishplace

As stated above, yes you're going to have to do water changes every day.

Sounds like you're doing a fish in cycle. Once you get the test kit and can measure nitrites (which will probably spike next after your ammonia starts processing). You want the added total of ammonia and nitrite to never be above 1ppm (but the lower the better). Prime water conditioner can help you too as it makes small amounts of ammonia and nitrites nontoxic for 24-48 hours.

To figure out how much water you need to change, use some math. Let's assume you have no nitrites, since you can't test for that yet. That means you need to do at least a 75% change to get to 1ppm ammonia. 4ppm x .75= 3ppm so you remove 3ppm ammonia with the water change.

When doing such large changes, it is very important to make sure the temperature and pH of the tank water and the new water match
thanks I will try my best to keep these fish alive I was trying to not do a fish in cycal I was just starting it up when I started at the start I did not know much so I cycal it for a month or so then got a fish I of corse new about all this stuff and hope I can save some of my fish

aquafrogg

Hi! Any updates on your frog or your tank?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Lucy
  • Question
Replies
Views
idkausernamesoyeah
Replies
Views
natureandwildlife