My molly needs help!!!

curlysue

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new black molly and when i brought him home he was doing well,but after a day or so he began to act funny,he had started to stay at the top and then at the bottom of the tank,it also seems like his back end has dropped(it seems like hes not using his tail like it would be broke)i don't see anything on him,he appears to be alright but not doing well,if anyone can help it would be greatly appeciated,,thanks in advance

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have no clue what it is. Did you notice anything else?

curlysue

Reaction score
I have noticed that there was white string like stuff coming from his behind,it seems to not fall of him,he swims around with this hanging off him for a while,,,(maybe im crazy),but it just seems weird,does anyone think it could be a parasite,if so could you give me details on how to fix him up,,ty,in advance ;D

palomino78

Reaction score
My cremecicle Molly just had the same thing happen and we had to euthanize her. It looked like her back was curved to the right. I think my Flame Gourami hurt her. He had targeted her, but not the other cremecicle molly I had, since I put her in the tank. She couldn't use her back end at all and just hung in my plants and floated in the currents. Do you have any potentially agressive fish? I would like to know if it was in fact my gourami that killed her.

cjzapata

Reaction score
that always happens in the begginig

curlysue

Reaction score
I have just read another post ,and he is having the same problem as me,,the back end has dropped and it is curve as well,i don't think any of my other fish would have hurt him,,i have 2 other mollies ,4 neon tetras,2 black skirt tetras ,one pink tetra,and one black widow tetra,something is definatly wrong with him,ive never seen it befor,,weird,really weird,,anybody else have this problem,any help would be greatly appeciated

Mollygurl

Valued Member
Reaction score
hey.my dalmation lyretail had that problem.about 1 month ago,Sparkle had ick,got well,then i noticed she wasn't swimming very well,her back was crooked,her back had a sorta hump in it,and she couldn't use her tail.she was fine a couple of weeks later.i just let her go, didn't change anything.i had a black molly(F, named midnight),Sparkle(F) and a 2 1/2" plecostomus at that time.

Izabela

Valued Member
Reaction score
Do you have a sick/quaranteen/spare tank? If so, move your new friend, so she doesn't infect your other fish. It could be parasites, or a number of other things. I just had a 50 gallon tank become infected because I didn't not move a new fish after noticing her strange lethargic behavior. I never did figure out what was the real problem. Treated for ich and internal parasites, raised temp to 80, since they had the white stringy poops and were acting so tired ALL the time.

How are your water conditions? Check that first. Then do partial water changes (even if water is good)...20%, I did this every day for a week. I found a couple of places mention this:

"According to my bood "tropical fish diseases A-Z" horizontal curves
(scoliosis) and vertical curves (lordosis) can be caused by various things
like a) injury b) infectious disease c) nutritional deficiencies
d) genetic or developmental abnormality.

Hope she feels better soon.

Izabela

lina

Reaction score
HI,
I was wondering if your molly fish was doing any better. My two mollies actually have the same exact symptoms. I searched online for the possible cause of these symptoms and the closest description linked them to high levels of nitrites and/or ammonia in the water. My tank is still cycling, 2nd week. I assumed that it had to be it. I keep changing water. Also added nitrite/amonia reducer. At times they are looking a bit better, other times very lethargic, with tails hanging, sitting right under the surface of the water. Also they don't really eat. Very sad. Have you had any luck figuring out the cause? Thanks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom