Question My molly just had babies. What do I do?

AlexW9102

Reaction score
I have 1 male molly and 1 female molly. I believe she was most likely pregnant when we bought her, because her belly was somewhat large. Next thing I knew, I was scooping baby mollies out of my 15 gallon tank into a small fish container because the male molly was eating them. This is the first time this has ever happened to me, so I have no clue what to do. I put a tiny marimo ball in with them about the size of my pinky nail because I heard they help absorb nitrates, and I gave them a flake of food to eat. What do I need to do to keep them alive? They're so tiny and precious!!

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Are they in a breeder box? If they are in a breede box then they will be fine till they can be released. Just provide extra floating plants for them and high nutrients fry food. "Hikari bites" is very common for fry. They also need extra hours of bright LED light to help with their bone structure growth. Also provide extra WCs throughout the week. Any level of ammonia/nitrite will shock and kill the fry. Other than that, they will be fine and ready to be released around 3-4 weeks

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Honstley i would just let the male eat them. Your going to have more every month.

Also with livebeares you want 1 male to 2 females otherwise the constant stress of mating from the male can kill them.

Malibu

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My dalmation balloon molly also had fry yesterday and i'm feeding them with fry powder that i normally use with my koi fry. After a bit of searching, i ended up with 5 fry, i guess the rest got gobbled up! Good luck with your fry Alex.

OP
A

AlexW9102

Reaction score
Blueberrybetta said:
Are they in a breeder box? If they are in a breede box then they will be fine till they can be released. Just provide extra floating plants for them and high nutrients fry food. "Hikari bites" is very common for fry. They also need extra hours of bright LED light to help with their bone structure growth. Also provide extra WCs throughout the week. Any level of ammonia/nitrite will shock and kill the fry. Other than that, they will be fine and ready to be released around 3-4 weeks
Thank you! I don't have a breeder box at the moment, I put them in the container I got my betta in which I keep for when I'm cleaning the tank. I also have a fish bowl which I can move them to if that's a better option. As for food, I don't have food specifically meant for fry, but I have Bug Bites flakes which say they're high in protein and essential vitamins and nutrients. I figured they needed to have some light so the water doesn't get too cold, and I hope it's an LED light. I'll make sure to change the water so the ammonia and nitrates don't build up in there. Will that work fine?

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
AlexW9102 said:
Thank you! I don't have a breeder box at the moment, I put them in the container I got my betta in which I keep for when I'm cleaning the tank. I also have a fish bowl which I can move them to if that's a better option. As for food, I don't have food specifically meant for fry, but I have Bug Bites flakes which say they're high in protein and essential vitamins and nutrients. I figured they needed to have some light so the water doesn't get too cold, and I hope it's an LED light. I'll make sure to change the water so the ammonia and nitrates don't build up in there. Will that work fine?
Theres no 100% guarentee your fry will survive then. Livebearers have no parental instincts so they will eat all the fry , especially males. Fry have a better chance of surviving if your tank is very heavily planted, including many floating plants made for fry like guppy moss, duckweed, red root floater, etc...

Raising fry in an uncycled tank is also another reason your fry may not survive all the way. Tanks should be fully cycled to begin with if you want healthy living fish. Any level of nitrites will for sure kill fry or any living thing at that point. Having toxic levels of ammonia/nitrite can also cause birth defects as well. Water quality is very important so its crucial you cycle your tank for any future inhabitants.

I wouldnt focus too much on the fry because as stated before, livebearers reproduce alot so you'll be getting fry monthly regardless if they'll live or not. I would work on getting your tank cycled by a fish-in cycle. You'll need to be monitoring your parameters daily for spikes and also doing daily WC's to help keep the levels low. Seachems Prime water conditioner is very recommended, especially when cycling because it helps bond high toxic levels of ammonia/nitrite/nitrates, making the water safe for fish for 24 hrs only so you'll need to be dosing Prime daily as well.

New Threads