My Molly Died

paigeyduckie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Water Parameters were fine. My 20 gallon is understocked so there was no quarreling. Everything was fine and I went to bed and woke up and fed my fish. My black male molly was doing just fine. I didn't look for about 4 hours and I came back and he was dead. It was not just floating around dead. His eyes were white, his fins were erect, and his scales were turning a weird gray. It was totally random and I don't know how he could have looked so dead so fast.

Forgot to take a picture before I removed him. Has anyone had this? Is it normal? Was something wrong with him?

OP
paigeyduckie

paigeyduckie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
PH is 7, Temp is 78, Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is 5. I have a twenty gallon planted tank with my black molly that died, a dalmation molly, a dwarf gourami, two platy, two corydora cats, and an apple mystery snail.
I've had him for about three months. He was in a 5 gallon when I first got him and now he's been in a twenty for about a month. He has been acting totally normal until he died.

el337 said:
Can you post your exact water parameters - pH, temp, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? How long have you had him and what other fish do you have?
paigeyduckie said:
PH is 7, Temp is 78, Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is 5. I have a twenty gallon planted tank with my black molly that died, a dalmation molly, a dwarf gourami, two platy, two corydora cats, and an apple mystery snail.
I've had him for about three months. He was in a 5 gallon when I first got him and now he's been in a twenty for about a month. He has been acting totally normal until he died.
I also want to mention I have a twenty gallon filter and a 5 gallon filter running. They are both cycled. I have pothos in the filter growing as well.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You noticed no aggression from the other molly or DG? And is this a 20 gallon long or high?

OP
paigeyduckie

paigeyduckie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
el337 said:
You noticed no aggression from the other molly or DG? And is this a 20 gallon long or high?
My tank is a 20 high. My deceased male black molly and female dalmatian molly used to be a bit territorial and chase each other when I dropped an algae wafer, but I learned that if I break the wafer up they each have their own and leave each other alone. Ever since then I have seen absolutely no aggression at all in the tank. The DG is very docile and doesn't pay attention to the fish and the tank is by me and I see the activity a lot through the day

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well, we can't watch our tanks 24/7 so who knows what occurred when your back was turned. Sorry, I know it's not a good feeling to not know why these things happen.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom