My molly and a hospital tank

Amccurry

my molly has swim bladder and I’m so sad because I love him so so much. I’m not sure what to do. I’m going to set up a hospital tank but what filter do I use? And should I make it half of the old water and half new? I’m just so stressed because I love him and everyone keeps says he’s was 3$ and it’s not a big deal but I don’t want him to die.

JuDom

Hi there.
It doesn’t matter how much the fish costs, it’s your pet and it’s okay to love him and not want him to die. Don’t listen to anyone who says that, they don’t get the “fish life”

With that being said, in order to know how to treat your fish, we need to know what kind of swim bladder issue he is having. Is he floating at the top or sinking to the bottom? The treatment is different.
As for a hospital tank, you could float a critter crate inside your other tank so it stays at temp. Slow water flow, and decreased feeding(no food for 2-3 days) can help him get better sooner. Swim bladder is almost always curable. So, have hope for your fish. He should be fine.
I’ll get back to you as soon as I can when you reply..
There is also an emergency form you can fill out so we can help find the cause of the issue to begin with. I’ll post the link below.

Aquatic Emergency Template | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health Forum | 376562

Amccurry

Hi there.
It doesn’t matter how much the fish costs, it’s your pet and it’s okay to love him and not want him to die. Don’t listen to anyone who says that, they don’t get the “fish life”

With that being said, in order to know how to treat your fish, we need to know what kind of swim bladder issue he is having. Is he floating at the top or sinking to the bottom? The treatment is different.
As for a hospital tank, you could float a critter crate inside your other tank so it stays at temp. Slow water flow, and decreased feeding(no food for 2-3 days) can help him get better sooner. Swim bladder is almost always curable. So, have hope for your fish. He should be fine.
I’ll get back to you as soon as I can when you reply..
There is also an emergency form you can fill out so we can help find the cause of the issue to begin with. I’ll post the link below.

Aquatic Emergency Template | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health Forum | 376562
He’s floating on the top. I tried to feed him a pea he didn’t want it so I’m going to put it in an ice cube and melt it so that the juices get to him. I put aquarium salt and stress coat in the tank. He kept getting stuck to the filter so I got a breeders net and put him in there so that nothing bothers him. Someone said that the hospital tank needs to filter for 1 month so it’ll do more harm then good. That’s why I got the breeders net. Let me know!

JuDom

He’s floating on the top. I tried to feed him a pea he didn’t want it so I’m going to put it in an ice cube and melt it so that the juices get to him. I put aquarium salt and stress coat in the tank. He kept getting stuck to the filter so I got a breeders net and put him in there so that nothing bothers him. Someone said that the hospital tank needs to filter for 1 month so it’ll do more harm then good. That’s why I got the breeders net. Let me know!
I think the breeders net was a good choice! I’m sorry that the pea didn’t work, that’s usually the go to for swim bladder if they are floating at the top. This is called positive buoyancy disorder. Whereas sinking to the bottom is negative buoyancy disorder.
Keep trying to feed him peas. Otherwise, don’t feed him for 2-3 days as this will allow him to release the excess gas built up.
Continue to closely monitor him and your water parameters. Make sure you do frequent water changes as well. :)
Update here as things develop. Good luck.

Amccurry

I think the breeders net was a good choice! I’m sorry that the pea didn’t work, that’s usually the go to for swim bladder if they are floating at the top. This is called positive buoyancy disorder. Whereas sinking to the bottom is negative buoyancy disorder.
Keep trying to feed him peas. Otherwise, don’t feed him for 2-3 days as this will allow him to release the excess gas built up.
Continue to closely monitor him and your water parameters. Make sure you do frequent water changes as well. :)
Update here as things develop. Good luck.
Thank you so much! I put him in a cup to eat the peas so that the water levels are a little lower but it wasn’t 100% working. Hopefully in a week he’s good a new!

JuDom

Thank you so much! I put him in a cup to eat the peas so that the water levels are a little lower but it wasn’t 100% working. Hopefully in a week he’s good a new!
You’re very welcome.
Are you using canned peas or frozen peas?
Frozen peas lightly blanched would be best. Take a small cup of water and heat it in the microwave til it’s hot but not boiling and drop the peas in there for a minute or so. Let them cool off and then offer them to him. Hope this helps!

Amccurry

You’re very welcome.
Are you using canned peas or frozen peas?
Frozen peas lightly blanched would be best. Take a small cup of water and heat it in the microwave til it’s hot but not boiling and drop the peas in there for a minute or so. Let them cool off and then offer them to him. Hope this helps!
Yep! That’s exactly what I do!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • lovemyfishies415
  • Molly
Replies
Views
Crimson_687
Replies
Views
kstots
Replies