My Modified Filter

jfs4

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am leaving my residence for 6 weeks in the summer and I decided to redesign my filter based on a YouTube video I saw so that I don't have to swap out topfin cartridges. I'm not the biggest fan of them and I avoided changing them anyways. But the water was rising and almost overflowing from the filter even after swishing them around in old aquarium water. The filter now has a Fluval sponge on the bottom of the hob, a topfin sponge on the intake, bioballs from Fluval and some old media on top. I left the bioplate with the original so I didn't deplete the bb during the change. After checking levels daily and adding a few dosis of stability, it has been perfect.
IMG_20180512_082337723.jpg
IMG_20180512_082344220.jpg
IMG_20180512_082415762.jpg
IMG_20180512_082433089.jpg

DanniD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nice! I did something similar with my HOB and it’s so much nicer and CHEAPER to fill it more with different media.

Out of curiosity, what are you doing with your tank while you are away?

jfs4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ddelpinal said:
Nice! I did something similar with my HOB and it’s so much nicer and CHEAPER to fill it more with different media.

Out of curiosity, what are you doing with your tank while you are away?
We have an ehiem despensor for food and a good friend coming over to do water changes. It is the best we can do for now.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom