My modestus puffer tank

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd show off my modestus tank. I had an outbreak of BBA so I had to toss out most of the plants (especially the ones with really frilly leaves like the cobomba). Yesterday, I bought a bunch of new plants and replanted the tank, moving some of the old plants around a little.

Current residents are two modestus (about 2 inches each), a couple of guppy fry, three rosy barbs (1m/2f bought yesterday to help eat the BBA, which they've done a great job with), one black lyretail molly juvie (also for the BBA), and three otos. Everyone is doing fine. The guppies were originally added as dithers, and they've done a great job I think. The modestus haven't nipped or been aggressive with anyone except each other and only mildly so at that, mostly during feeding time (they'll chase each other away from the food for a few minutes before they both settle in to eat). I'm eventually going to take the guppies out and most likely the molly as well. The rosy barbs may stay depending on how everyone does. If they become a problem, then I have plenty of room in my community tank for them.

The plants that I can remember off-hand are ejeria densa, wisteria, hygrophilia, ludwigia repens, dwarf lilies, anubias nana, anubias coffeefolia. I've got 4 watts per gallon, dosing with Flourish and Excel and have ordered a CO2 kit that should be here this week.

Sorry its so dark, I haven't got a good photo editing program atm.

clear.gif

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks nice! Love tanks as heavily planted as yours!

If you'd like, I can brighten/chop/fix up pictures for you - just send a link to them in a message to me and what you want me to do to 'em.

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I found a halfway decent program on tucows though that I'll use from now on. Used to have Paintshop Pro but had to reinstall WinXP (after a disasterous bout with Vista) and can't find my registration info now.

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've read that, thanks. Unfortunately I don't have a place where I can do all of that, so it has to take place in my bathtub.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Bathtub is OK too, as long as you rinse it properly. Since you've had Fluorite for a while now, how would you rate it? Did your plants do well with it? Did it affect your pH? Would you recommend it? Or do you think Eco-Complete is better? Because I am having a big dilemma over which gravel to get: Fluorite, or Eco-Complete? Also, does Fluorite appear very red under fluorescent lighting? (I hate reddish gravels.)

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I like the results of Flourite. My planted tanks are doing quite well with it, but to be honest, I'm not sure how much of a help its been since my son has a huge rubin sword growing in his 10g tank and he's got glass marbles for a substrate. :lol: I do recommend it, although I'll use Eco Complete in any future tanks simply because of the rinsing issue. Yes, its red in the light. I don't mind the color as long as its not blue or purple or one of the other really horrible fluorescent colors. You'd probably be happier with Eco Complete. From discussions I've had with other experienced planted tank keepers, they both perform the same. The only real difference is the look and the rinsing.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
OK, thanks What do you personally think looks better in a naturally planted tank, reddish Fluorite or black Eco-complete?

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Its really a matter of personal preference. I like the red but I also like the black as well. I like to use black, or darker, substrate especially with my more nocturnal fish as I think it helps keep a more night time ambiance, even with the lights on. But to be totally honest, I don't really "see" the substrate all that much. Sort of like not seeing the trees for the forest. I see the plants and the fish, and the substrate tends to be more invisible to me. Now that would probably be different if it was one of those fluorescent colors. :lol:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom