My marimos have turned an olive green.

ggavin

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, I have had my marimos for a few months now and I noticed they were starting to change from a forest green to an olive green, which makes me worried that I’m doing something wrong. I really started to notice the difference when I got two new marimos (the left most glass). I’m worried about my other marimos and want to help them get back to a darker green. I am unsure if it is lighting, temperature or both. I do change their water and “bathe” the marimos once a week.

They usually sit on my desk completely out of direct sunlight. My room isn’t the brightest though. Also, since it’s starting to get warmer, I feel like I should be more active about keeping their water cooler. Please help, I’d like them all to be healthy and all be forest green instead of this olive green, and I really don’t know why they have turned an olive green.

Here are pictures of my marimos, I hope it can help you see the difference in color between the ones in the left most glass and the rest of them. http://imgur.com/a/DI4g6

oOBlueOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do they get any fertilizer? It's possibly a nutrient deficiency. That's the only thing I can think of.

Usually, in the fish tank, fish provide enough nutrients IME. But since yours aren't with fish, maybe the marimos are hungry.

Sorry I can't be more help.

jenema

Valued Member
Reaction score
Looks like a start of a co2 deficiency, they will turn white if they are co2 deficient.

Sent from my HTCONE using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it could be lack of light. They don't need much light, but with no sunlight from a window and no light from an overhead fixture they will probably suffer a bit. They will still survive I think, just not be the bright green color you want.

ggavin

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks, I have been trying to get them in the sun more. I'm also making sure the water stays cool. And I got some prime and API just to see if that would help a little.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do ou have fish in another tank that when you do a water change in your tank you could add some to the tank for fertilizer? Mine are in fish tanks with led lights but lots of poopy fish like a plecco to add fertilzer, and they stay the lovely dark green. I think too much direct sun will make them pale out as well. Alison

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom