My male veiltale betta's fins are in tatters!

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I went in my room to suddenly see my male veiltale betta's, fins all torn and hanging in tatters. He's had a small white spot on his fins since I got him, which I think may have grown in size. I don't know what it is.

I tested the water and all the levels are at 0. My suspicion is that his fins got sucked into my filter, which is a little strong for a betta, I guess. Could that be it? The tank is the 5.5 gallon Top fin Essentials Starter Kit, which I got at PetSmart. He's acting normal and swimming around.

What is this and what should I do? Please help!

Here's a picture of him. The little white thing is the spot I was talking about.
IMG_6006.JPG

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm not concerned about the white spot. The tattered fins can be avoided by putting a pre-filter sponge over your filter's intake to prevent fins from getting sucked up. Also, if you have any plastic plants in there, you should remove them.

Clean water will help him heal those fins up. Keep an eye out for a black edge to his fins, which would indicate fin rot.

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'll do a water change right now, and I think I will get the sponge filter because with the filter pushes him against the wall of the tank every time he goes by it.
Any ideas as to what actually happened? He did have a rip on his fins from a plastic plant I had in the tank (which I removed right away) and it was in the process of healing when this happened. Could the rip have had anything to do with it?

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Kdizzle said:
I'll do a water change right now, and I think I will get the sponge filter because with the filter pushes him against the wall of the tank every time he goes by it.
Any ideas as to what actually happened? He did have a rip on his fins from a plastic plant I had in the tank (which I removed right away) and it was in the process of healing when this happened. Could the rip have had anything to do with it?
Probably not. If it was a gradual increase from that rip to this whole tattered fin appearance, then I'd say maybe yes, fin rot advancing from that rip. But since this tattered fin thing is so sudden, and it doesn't look infected, I'd say this is a new, separate incident.

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SM1199 said:
Probably not. If it was a gradual increase from that rip to this whole tattered fin appearance, then I'd say maybe yes, fin rot advancing from that rip. But since this tattered fin thing is so sudden, and it doesn't look infected, I'd say this is a new, separate incident.
He had the rip one day and suddenly about 5 days later his fins were like this. He has no black on his fins that I can see, so I'm not sure it's fin rot yet but if it is how do I treat it?

mrsP

Reaction score
You can also push some filter sponge to water outlet, that slow's it also down. Combined to pre-filter, it might be that you don't need new filter.

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Right now, telling from the picture, he doesn't have fin rot. Clean water is the best cure with or without fin rot. If fin rot gets bad, there are ways to treat with aquarium salt, hydrogen peroxide, and a few other methods - if you need it later, I can go into more detail. Avoid the Bettafix and Melafix that advertise treating bacterial infections like fin rot, but are not safe for bettas. Antibiotics are a last-resort if fin rot has eaten more than 50% of their fins, so avoid those as well.

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SM1199 said:
Right now, telling from the picture, he doesn't have fin rot. Clean water is the best cure with or without fin rot. If fin rot gets bad, there are ways to treat with aquarium salt, hydrogen peroxide, and a few other methods - if you need it later, I can go into more detail. Avoid the Bettafix and Melafix that advertise treating bacterial infections like fin rot, but are not safe for bettas. Antibiotics are a last-resort if fin rot has eaten more than 50% of their fins, so avoid those as well.
Thanks.

New Threads