Help My male platy doesn't like his new friend!!

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have two platys, male and female, and the female is pregnant. She is almost due, so I have had her in a netted breeding box in the tank and she has been there for a few days now. She's doing okay, eating and such, but the male has been pretty pathetic. He constantly follows her from the outside and tries to get in and often gets himself caught between the tank and the net and has to wiggle out.
People on here had said you should maybe get another female or two for him because a good platy ratio should be 1:3. I ended up picking up a little platy female today and put her in the tank a few hours ago. I really like her, a nice black blue with a shiny blue stripe on top. I thought the male would be happy because he has another female to be with but he is being aggressive with her. It is odd, because he is probably the least aggressive fish in the tank from what I have seen, and he is stalking her and sort of squaring off with her and lashing out at her. I have never ever seen him do that with the other female!
I am worried for my newest addition, I don't want her to end up stressed or sick or hurt...!!!
Is this normal when a new female is introduced? is there anything I can do to help stop this???

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've had a few of them do this, the male will tend to get territorial in defending the female if he's had one singled out for some time. My method has always been to remove the male for a few days into quarantine and then bring him back, he usually stops acting up after his little time out

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am sure that it is a female, I checked and she has that rounded fin and a bigger anal tube, she doesn't have that little weird male analfin. Definitely a girl, a cute little one.
She is quite a bit smaller then the others, so I am assuming she is still pretty young and has some growing to do.
In a panic last night I ended up letting the female out of her breeding box and back into the tank, thinking it would distract him and keep him from hurting the other girl. It sort of worked, as soon as he found the preggy female he was elated and resumed following her and keeping other fish away from her. It left a good half a tank for the new platy to sort of swim around and eat some food without being accosted.
If he sees her, he still lashes out at the new platy. He doesn't do it as often because his attention is distracted, but they still arn't friends yet.

So you think if I take him and put him into the breeding net for a few days, he will be a bit nicer to the new girl when I let him back into the tank??
Is there any chance that simply time will help to make these guys get along, or does he have to be gone for awhile so his little fishy brain can deprogram the hate?

The Preggy female doesn't seem the mind the new addition, I have seen them next to eachother without any hostility, it is just the male. I find it very confusing, I thought boys LIKED girls

Also, the original two platys are yellow/orange/black and my new one is black/blue/grey -------- Do you think maybe the fish are racist and do not like fish of other colors???? :;b

Last edited:

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I caught the male and put him in the breeding net-cage thing, and pretty much immediately the new female came out of hiding and began swimming around and exploring, it was so great to see!!
The preggy female is even swimming with her, no hostility!

How long should I keep him seperated before it should be safe to let him back into the main tank??

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've done it for a day, sometimes longer, just depends on how he acts when he gets back out. I've used a tank divider and that took several days because you could still see him pacing right at the divider for the first few days, then finally he gave up and started doing his own thing, at that point he chilled out.

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm gonna keep him in there until tomorrow morning, then I'll let him back out to see what he does. Do you think once he sees the pregnant female he will go right back to being hostile to the new female?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
there's no telling till you try it, but it has quelled aggression for me on more than one occasion. Let us know how it goes.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ive noticed male livebearers can act in some interesting ways when new females are added. Generally it is best to add all the breeding fish at once if you only have a small number of breeding fish. Sometimes the male will attach itself to one female and will become so focused on mating the one female that any other female will be seen as an intruder and he will chase her off. I agree that if he doesnt soon warm up to the new female now that the old female is separated into her own breeder box, then you should try separating the male to let him kind of reset his mind. Putting him in his own tank where he cant see the females would be best, although a breeder trap may work, really I would try and give him the most swim room you can and the most visual separation from the females as possible.

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had him in all day, about 11 hours, and I tried to let him back into the tank. Within 2 minutes, he was back stocking and attacking that same female. *sighs* I put him back in the breeder net. I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens....I really hope this works, I really really like the new platy

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
dont be discouraged, I would try and leave him in there more like 2-3 days rather than a few hours. Going through a few periods of lights out will kinda help him to forget about things and "reset"

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I ended up letting him back in the tank so I could put my female in the breeding box, so he is back to stocking that other female again.
I think what I am going to do is once the female has her fry, I am going to rearrange the tank a bit and then quarantine him for awhile so when he is put back, the territory all looks different. I am hoping that will help.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom