My male guppy likes to hang out with my female swordtail. Is this normal?

Jhawk117

Reaction score
Hi, so I’m not sure if this is normal or not. My male guppy likes to hangout with my female swordtail. There is a male swordtail in the tank as well. There used to be a female guppy but she unfortunately died today. Why would he be chasing my female guppy? Seems rather odd.

Attachments

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Jhawk117 said:
Hi, so I’m not sure if this is normal or not. My male guppy likes to hangout with my female swordtail. There is a male swordtail in the tank as well. There used to be a female guppy but she unfortunately died today. Why would he be chasing my female guppy? Seems rather odd.
The male guppy is likely trying to mate with the female swordtail

OP
Jhawk117

Jhawk117

Reaction score
Is that normal? Would they come out with some like guppy/swordtail hybrid? Haha

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Jhawk117 said:
Is that normal? Would they come out with some like guppy/swordtail hybrid? Haha
Totally normal, not sure about hybrids, Livebearers can interbreed but sometimes the fry aren’t That healthy and can be deformed due to the weird guppy/swordtail genetics mixing Strangely.

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
Prop a mirror on the tank. Some breeds of fish will become completely self-absorbed and not bother other breeds or each other. It's a miracle.

OP
Jhawk117

Jhawk117

Reaction score
Should I remove the male guppy or get him to new females to mate with? Like I said, his mate died today strangely. She lasted for a week and never showed any sign that she wasn't doing well

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Jhawk117 said:
Should I remove the male guppy or get him to new females to mate with? Like I said, his mate died today strangely. She lasted for a week and never showed any sign that she wasn't doing well
Nah, just keep him with the tank mates he has now....guppies sometimes don't get great care in a pet store because they are easy to get/replace

JamieLu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is the female swordtail the only female in ur tank? Its good to have 2 females for every male so the females don't constantly get harassed. But if u do that ur gonna have tons of babies.

OP
Jhawk117

Jhawk117

Reaction score
JamieLu said:
Is the female swordtail the only female in ur tank? Its good to have 2 females for every male so the females don't constantly get harassed. But if u do that ur gonna have tons of babies.
No, there are other female platy's in the tank but he doesn't seem interested in them. Only my female swordtail

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Jhawk117 said:
No, there are other female platy's in the tank but he doesn't seem interested in them. Only my female swordtail
Hmmm maybe in his mind she looks more like his former guppy friend or something??

New Threads