my male guppy is at the bottom of the tank floatin! is it dead???? Help

1. jina morgan Initiate Member

my male guppy is at the bottom of the tank floatin! is it dead???? It is still breathing but is flat on the bottom drifting around! can anyone help me pls??

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Jina welcome to FishLore
    I'm sorry about your guppy. :(
    If you could give us some more info by filling out your aquarium info (found under My Settings at the top left)
    That info is necessary to try and help.

Thanks!

3. jina morgan Initiate Member

sorry, it is dead. i am very sad. i am left with one... let me answer yr ques in a while...

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:( I'm so sorry you lost him.

5. jina morgan Initiate Member

ok done answering. tmr i am buying more. i need help. my another guppy is moving very fast here and there, what is he doing? will get a photo for u....

6. jina morgan Initiate Member

lucy, help me pls.
    here are the pics:
    My food used
    [​IMG]
    My food used
    [​IMG]
    My fish
    [​IMG]
    My tank
    [​IMG]

thanks!

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

If you could avoid text speak, it would be appreciated by the members.
    Many, including myself, find it hard to read.

This post will be a long one and for that I apologize.

Many stores will sell people a tank and fish and never try to educate them.
    It's really important since we are dealing with living things that have certain needs.

I'm not very good with centimeters and tried to calculate the voluming of your tank.
    I came up with just over 1 Liter, is that correct?
    If if it, your tank isn't big enough for any fish. :(
    Guppies are tropical and need to be kept in warm water.
    1 Liter is hard to keep a consistant temperature, which is also important for fish.

I see you're not using any water conditioners. Here in the US, our water is treated with chlorine, sometimes Chloramine and usually contain heavy metals, all of which are toxic to fish.
    Water conditioners remove these harmful chemicals and make the water safe for fish.
    I don't know if they treat water in your country the same way.

If the pH of your water differs greatly from the store's water, it's really important that you introduce them slowly to your water. This can be done by floating the bagged fish in your tank. Over the course of an hour or 2, slowly add tank water to the fish bag. That should help the fish adjust to the pH and give the bagged water time to adjust to the temperature of your tank.

I see you just started your aquarium today?
    Before going and buying any more fish it would be a good idea to do a little reading about setting up and aquarium.

Here's a great place to start reading:
    Beginner Links

Best of luck :)

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Edit: :) We were posting at the same time.

Your guppy is really pretty.
    I see your tank. I'm sorry, but it's not big enough for fish.
    The food you have is Betta food. You'd have to look for something for guppies. There are flakes and pellets you can use.
    Filters are important for keeping the water clean and as explained above, water temp is important.
    I see an air stone, thats good. It helps with water movement to keep it from getting stagnant.
    Do you have a heater, or is it warm enough where you live that you can keep a steady temperature?

9. jina morgan Initiate Member

:;f:;fb:;fg:;fr ok thanks! I just poured my fishes into the tank today . so tomorrow, I put my bag of fish on the water.
    1) Should i open the bag or keep it close?
    Then after 30 mins i add 1 cup of water into the bag, then keep on adding adding in 30 mins time.
    2) Then after adding till the bag is full, i pour the fish and water into the tank?
    I dont have any filters or cycling, does that kill my fish?

Thanks!

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to FL, Jina. I'm sorry you were given such bad information from your fish store.
    Lucy has given you some really good advice. Please read the link she provided and make sure you are able to provide a better home for your fish before you buy more. Also, since you don't have a suitable home for fish right now, maybe you would consider returning them to the store until you've read about them some more? Right now, they are in what looks like a very small container that isn't filtered or heated, and unfortunately, they won't live long in those conditions.

11. jina morgan Initiate Member

Yes I have been to the link and I am still reading :D
    In Singapore is quite hot and humid so I am not sure if it needs to be heated.
    I am not sure what is filter... but I see the fish store does not have a filter and heater.

12. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

1) Open the bag.
    2) Every 15 minutes or so add a little water. I don't measure the amount I add, but it's way less than a cup, maybe 1/4 cup every 15 minutes or so.
    3) Guppies really need at least 10 gallons (approx 38 Liters). They're very active fish.
    Can you get a proper size set up with filter and heater?

You will also need a good liquid test kit. The link to the beginners section lists equipment you'll need.

Fish produce ammonia through their waste. Remember, the water they swim in is also their bathroom.

Here's a basic explanation of the nitrogen cycle (read the link, it explains the cycle throughly):
    First your ammonia (from fish waste and left over food) will rise.
    In a few weeks bacteria will start to develop and you'll see the nitrite levels rise and the ammonia levels start to drop.
    After a few more weeks a different kind of bacteria begins to develop and you'll see the nitrate levels rise and the nitrite levels drop.
    Ammonia and nitrites are toxic to your fish.
    So until your cycle is complete, you need to keep the levels down with 50% daily water changes.
    If your pH differs greatly from tap to tank 2 25% changes a day would be safer.
    Use a water conditioner that will detox the ammonia for 24 hrs between water changes.
    When you having readings of 0 on both ammonia and nitrites with some nitrates showing, your cycle is done.

Information over load for a little guppy, isn't it?

13. jina morgan Initiate Member

The store made me buy the betta food... no heater. I am not sure of its temperature now.
    I just added more tap water.

14. jina morgan Initiate Member

38 litres of water? omg. My tank is super small and I am thinking of keeping 4 more. I have to feed him once a day right?

15. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Feeding once a day is fine. No more than he can eat in about 2 minutes.

16. jina morgan Initiate Member

My fish food is about 3mm big. Can my guppy eat it or must cut smaller?