My Male Crowntail Betta Is Turning White. I’m Really Worried.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Bubbly_Bettas, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Bubbly_Bettas

Bubbly_BettasNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    My male blue and black Crowntail Betta is forming white patches. The patch was small but now it’s getting larger. He is in a 3.5 filtered, heated, tank. I do 50% to 75% water changes weekly. I recently added a bacteria starter and a new water conditioner with a additive that helped his slime coat in his last water change. He is still flaring and active as ever. I did notice his lower fins are a bit black too. I’m not sure if it’s fin rot or Ammonia burns/ poisoning. I tried to get some good pictures but he moves too much. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,107
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Are you talking about the section on his back? Is the white patch fuzzy at all, or does it look like his scales turned white? Sorry I can't tell based on the pictures.

Also it does look like he has a bit of fun rot based on the first pic. But then again that could just be the shadows.

Do you know your water parameters? Also what temperature is your tank?

3. OP
    OP
    Bubbly_Bettas

Bubbly_BettasNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thanks for responding. The tank temperature is showing 74 degrees Fahrenheit. I do not currently know the parameters. I’m going to buy a test kit today sometime or have one of my local pet stores check it for me. The patch isn’t fuzzy at all. Here is another picture of him.

Attached Files:

4. TombedOrchestra

TombedOrchestraValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +16
    I'd recommend buying the test kit to have on hand so you can test the water weekly... that way you're attempting to prevent issues rather than respond to them!

5. Gaara

GaaraNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yes you should buy the kit but I think there is nothing to worry about cause it might be that your Betta is changing colour.Many bettas do that and your Betta might be a marble Betta but still to be sure get the kit I am just assuming this conclusion.

6. Perameles

PeramelesNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    1 year
    I'm dealing with similar at the moment, my blue betta went white on the fins and has a small white patch on the top of his body. A lot of people suggested marbling to me too but I'm sceptical and recently pulled out a piece of decor that turned out to be covered in white mouldy **** - now from my google research I'm wondering whether it's the saddleback strain of columnaris? I can't find much info on how to diagnose it properly though, though the lady at my lfs did say it's was "bacterial" when I showed her an image, though she didn't elaborate or really help much more unfortunately. Worth researching though probably

7. penguin02

penguin02Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +984
    Experience:
    2 years
    Do you have a heater? 74 is cold for a betta. It should be at least 78.