My male betta is still having eye issues.. finally got good pictures. 5 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by rmarkham, Dec 5, 2012.

1. rmarkham

rmarkham Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone.

I've been dealing with a case of cloudy eye with my male HMPK for close to a month now. There was a point about a week ago where it was quite swollen.. but has since improved. I've tried aquarium salt treatments... epson salt treatments and daily water changes... It has gotten slightly better but he still doesn't seem to be at 100%.

He was MUCH worse recently... but he has never lost his appetite... just a bit of energy.

He lives alone in a planted 5 gallon tank that has been set up since 8/12. I upgraded him from a 2.5 gallon in August and had him in a 2.5 gallon prior (I got him in 1/2012).
    Ammonia-0
    Nitrite-0
    Nitrate-5-10
    pH ~7

Diet- frozen food (brine shrimp, blood worms, etc) NLS betta pellets

I do water changes every week... normally.. have been doing them more often recently due to the eye issue.

Until yesterday his tank was VERY heavily planted and didn't leave much room for swimming really... I had a massive anubias plant on driftwood in there and he spent much of his time hiding in there and I would only see him when I fed him at night.

Yesterday I decided to move the anubias monstrosity to my 29G planted tank and did some re-arranging. Now he has PLENTY of room to swim around and has been doing so today.. at least from what I've seen so far.

His one eye is still a milky color and is slightly larger than his healthy eye. I can see it moving like a normal eye, but it still appears to surrounded by fluid. I recently got a DSLR and have been able to FINALLY take some pictures of his eye.. which was very difficult to do with my old camera/his old tank set up.

Anyone have any thoughts? I did use flash for all of these, but you can see which eye I'm concerned about.

It's the farther away eye in this shot.
    [​IMG]

You can really see how one eye is white-ish in this one
    [​IMG]

This is the bad eye
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blurry, but shows how the bad eye is enlarged
    [​IMG]

This is his good eye
    [​IMG]

2. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Looks to me like POP eye my boy Goldikova had it when I bought him. I used MARCYN2 and a week later his eye was back to normal.

3. OP
    OP
    rmarkham

It could be popeye even though he's had it for a few months and it hasn't gotten drastically worse? I'm really at the point of treating with antibiotics in a separate tank because I'm getting desperate.

4. J

Well I think because you have kept his water clean that is why it has not gotten worse. And Marcyn 2 should heal it but he may always have cloudy eye Goldikova his eye went down but his eye is a little bit cloud seeing I have no clue how long his eye was like that.

5. OP
    OP
    rmarkham

I got some Erythromycin and am going to try that first, and it that doesn't work than I'll explore stronger antibiotics. I'll give it a week and if that doesn't do the trick I'll try a stronger drug.

I work as a clinical microbiologist and the best approach for most infections is to try the weaker drug first because I don't want to stress out the fish until I have to. If this doesn't work than I'll amp it up a bit and probably try Kanomycin or tetracycline.

6. J

Marcyn 2 has that and the other two in plus I only did half dose cuz I hate using meds I prefer natural ways first but sometimes meds is the only way to go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice