My Little Surprise - Baby Guppies

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Cheyenna, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Cheyenna

CheyennaNew MemberMember

hi everyone!
    I’m a college student and I currently have a community tank. I wanted to share with you what I found last night while feeding my fish!!!
    * I had to zoom wayyyy In so you don’t even know how small this guy is!!!

C9C2DFDA-2367-4BD2-8429-471D3E60D8F5.png773CEA64-7177-4E1B-BC47-D38AFF3F80C1.png7CA059A2-8750-42BB-AC87-B719C76C86AE.png

Here is one just so you can see how small he is. He’s in the bottom left kind of in between the rock layers (about 2 rocks above the bottom) but right in the corner and you should be able to see his little eye reflecting. :)

2C281979-8DE7-4540-93FC-417B259C439C.png

I’m not really sure what to do with the little guy. I am about to move so I don’t want to buy another little tank and I’m afraid he will get eaten if I move him. I thought about getting a divider and sectioning off some of the tank so that he’s safe or even raising him in a breeder box for a while. Opinions? I was not set up for actually breeding fish which is why I was not expecting to see this little guy. Please when giving a suggestion remember I am moving soon (less than 2 weeks) so it’ll have to work out with that. :)

Thanks everyone! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  2. CocoCappuccino

CocoCappuccinoValued MemberMember

When my female guppies had surprise babies, I got 2 large sized breeder boxes and kept them in there until I gave them away to fellow fish keepers that happened to want guppies. When you move, do you plan on moving your fish with you?

3. OP
    OP
    Cheyenna

CheyennaNew MemberMember

Yes! My fish will be moving with me. Is it a guppy?? I only have one female guppy but I have three platy so I thought it might be a platy baby!

4. guppgirl

guppgirlValued MemberMember

Could be either. Most female guppies are already pregnant when you get them, and will stay pregnant for some time.

5. CocoCappuccino

That's awesome! I like how you're taking your little family with you :). I do agree with the person who said it could be either, but it has a higher chance of being a baby guppy since most are pregnant when you buy them. They can actually retain some of the things given to them by the male and become pregnant again.

6. OP
    OP
    Cheyenna

CheyennaNew MemberMember

Hahaha there’s nooo way is invest the money and the time and the love just to leave these little guys behind, and now I have an even littler guy to worry about, let alone if there’s a bunch of other little dudes somewhere in the rocks too!!:D

7. CocoCappuccino

Sounds great ^v^! I hope you and your little ones have the best things come in your direction :)!