My little, happy 10 gallon aquarium

Fishie_Freak
My Wee 10gal

3 very tiny Koi Angels that I saved from the near 30 other Angels in their tank at the store that were ripping up their poor fins.
Also, 3 Algea Shrimps which surprisngly live in perfect harmony with my koi.

MissMTS
Congrats on your new fish. I hope that you are planning to get them a bigger tank soon. Angels need a lot more space than a 10 gallon tank. They will grow to be 6 inches long and very tall. That tank will stunt their growth, shorten their life, and make them succeptable to diseases. To house 3 angels you need a MINIMUM 30 gallon tank. I would suggest a 40 gallon if you can get one. Try looking on craigslist for some good deals.

I looked at your aquarium info and saw that you just set up the tank a week ago. How did you cycle it. The only way the tank can be cycled that fast is by using cycled filter media or bio spira. If you didn't use either of these, your tank is not cycled and your fish will probably not make it once ammonia and nitrites start to show up.

COBettaCouple
Welcome to Fishlore.

Those are some cute little angel fry. I'd recommend getting a conditioner called "Prime" to treat the water with and changing 50% of the water daily until the tank is cycled. Test the tank each day before changing water with the API master freshwater testing kit. This will help protect those little babies from toxin poisoning.

The size that they're at now .. I'd start looking for a 30 gallon tank asap. They'll really take off soon on their growth and if they're still in a small tank, they can go through stunted growth damage.

If you can order a product called "Fish Protector" and/or "Vita-Chem" .. both are very good for the fish and help fins heal. I order them at thatfishplace

I see you have a cat.. you'll want to cover the hole in the back of the tank lid to prevent fishing. The shelf liner with holes or a plastic crafts sheet with holes can be taped over the hole.

Fishie_Freak
I looked at your aquarium info and saw that you just set up the tank a week ago. How did you cycle it. The only way the tank can be cycled that fast is by using cycled filter media or bio spira. If you didn't use either of these, your tank is not cycled and your fish will probably not make it once ammonia and nitrites start to show up.

bio spira! =) I used to suggest it to customers when I worked at a fish store. I've been checking the water regularly to be sure my fish are safe and didn't add them until I was sure.

Welcome to Fishlore.

Those are some cute little angel fry. I'd recommend getting a conditioner called "Prime" to treat the water with and changing 50% of the water daily until the tank is cycled. Test the tank each day before changing water with the API master freshwater testing kit. This will help protect those little babies from toxin poisoning.

The size that they're at now .. I'd start looking for a 30 gallon tank asap. They'll really take off soon on their growth and if they're still in a small tank, they can go through stunted growth damage.

If you can order a product called "Fish Protector" and/or "Vita-Chem" .. both are very good for the fish and help fins heal.

I see you have a cat.. you'll want to cover the hole in the back of the tank lid to prevent fishing. The shelf liner with holes or a plastic crafts sheet with holes can be taped over the hole.

I have covered the hole, actually, two days ago. Those pictures were taken not long after I put the fish in. Funny enough, my cats simply enjoy sitting beside the tank to watch the fish, I didn't leave them room to get behind the tank and it's also an angled tank lid. Before I'd filled the tank, my younger cat tried to jump up on it to investigate and there was nowhere for her to stand and she fell off. Since then, she's been content to sit beside it.

I'll look into some fish protector, I've become so attached to the little guys I couldn't bear thinking something could happen to them - actually, my mother has a 30gal that's been going for about 3 years, I've been considering transferring them to her tank seeing as all but 2 or 3 of her fish died when she moved.

Congrats on your new fish. I hope that you are planning to get them a bigger tank soon. Angels need a lot more space than a 10 gallon tank. They will grow to be 6 inches long and very tall. That tank will stunt their growth, shorten their life, and make them succeptable to diseases. To house 3 angels you need a MINIMUM 30 gallon tank. I would suggest a 40 gallon if you can get one. Try looking on craigslist for some good deals.

I was reading about that after I'd already had them settled into their tank and I got very upset that the livestock manager didn't inform me of how big they will get. He knew I had a 10gal to put them in and did not at all mention it would be a problem, I even asked him if they would be ok and he said they would. In fact, they had about 40 of them in a 30 gal at Big Al's where I bought them.

Lucy
You're baby angels are really cute, they're so tiny!

Martinismommy
Welcome to fishlore and HELLO fishies! Cute angels but I have to agree they will outgrow that tank in no time! When they do you can send them to me lol

Fishie_Freak
Good news!! I talked to one of the people at the Big Al's where I bought them and they are going to let me bring them back to trade them for some smaller fish! Yay!
Some day, when I have an enormous tank (when I become a famous pastry chef and can afford it) I'll buy a whole bunch of Koi Angel's so I can make up for my lost experience with these beautiful fish. I am just glad they have a chance to grow up somewhere more appropriate for their little, cute, flat bodies. I will miss them dearly.. I love my fishes so much!

Lucy
What're you planning on getting?

Fishie_Freak
I was going to see what they had for Platies, maybe a Sword Tail, Neons or if they have small Mollies I'll get a few of those to be on their own. My original idea was some cherry barbs (maybe 6-8). I may do that. I used to suggest cherry barbs and neons as a good starter tank when I worked in a pet store. I'd honestly just never encountered angel's when I worked there and somehow, just happen to never read up on them. My mother had an Angel when I was a kid and it actually lived rather happily with a Betta and a few other fish. I was just too young to remember clearly how big the fish was.

lalynya
I really like the hello fishy sign

Fishie_Freak
I really like the hello fishy sign

Thanks! x That's just a temporary backdrop, actually. It was a random cute idea I had. My real background I'm going to create when I get ink for my printer. I have a photo printer so I'm going to get pictures of all my friends' faces pressed up against glass and then make a collage of them all over the back of my tank.

lalynya
lol..That is creative..sounds neat..you should have them all making face against the glass

Fishie_Freak
lol..That is creative..sounds neat..you should have them all making face against the glass

That's the idea! I can't wait to make that backdrop.. for now.. I greet my fishes in an artistic, preschooler manner. And I enjoy it!

One of my angel's died today.. caught in the small flowers inside my tank. I was mortified and it may seem silly but I cried quite a bit. Is it silly to cry over a fish? They had sort of started to pay attention to me, coming to the side of the tank to stare at me as I stared at them. Now the littlest one with the gimpy fin has drown in his garden and I almost feel heartbroken. I wonder if I could have saved him had I not had to work late tonight...

There's no smiley sad enough to add to this message, I think.

Alessa
oh... I'm so sorry:'(
it isn't silly at all to cry over them... they are beautiful little creatures...

you should keep the other angel, just get a bigger tank... I get really attached to fishes.

MissMTS
I usually cry when I lose a fish. I'm sorry about your little angel

Fishie_Freak
oh... I'm so sorry:'(
it isn't silly at all to cry over them... they are beautiful little creatures...

you should keep the other angel, just get a bigger tank... I get really attached to fishes.

I can't afford to get a bigger tank, I have courses to pay for before I go to school next year I had a friend willing to adopt them but the woman I spoke to back at Big Al's assured me they would find a home quickly.

He was such a cute little fish.. he had spunk.. a lot of personality... the way he'd stealth attack his food from the cover of the little marble archway...

I usually cry when I lose a fish. I'm sorry about your little angel

The sad thing was.. by tomorrow morning he wouldn't have been my angel anymore. No question, he was my favorite. I named him after one of my best friends... well.. my friend's nickname anyway.

Poor Daddam..

Lucy
I'm sorry you lost your angel. It's not weird to cry over losing a pet, they grab hold of our hearts fast.

lalynya
I cried when I lost cheif..He was my first German blue ram he was the best and I loved him so no It's not weird

Fishie_Freak
I have new fish! 7 Neons and 6 Red Eye Tetras!

YAY! The other two angels made it back safe and sound ~

COBettaCouple
They're wonderful pets and capable of a lot of emotions, it's normal to mourn them and be attached to them. I love our angels.

Lucy
I have new fish! 7 Neons and 6 Red Eye Tetras!

YAY! The other two angels made it back safe and sound ~

I'm sorry, I know you didn't ask about this, but if you put them all in your 10g, you've overstocked your tank.
6 Red eyes will be 18" of fish and 7 neons comes to 10.5 inches of fish. That's too many for 10g.
I'd suggest taking the red eyes back because they can grow to be 3" and need a school of at least 5, which, if you kept them and returned the neons, you'd still be overstocked,
7 neons are manageable in a 10g.

Was your tank cycled? Sorry if I missed that. Adding that many fish at once is going to overwhelm the cycle.
Keep a close eye on your water parameters.

Good luck.

Fishie_Freak
I'm sorry, I know you didn't ask about this, but if you put them all in your 10g, you've overstocked your tank.
6 Red eyes will be 18" of fish and 7 neons comes to 10.5 inches of fish. That's too many for 10g.
I'd suggest taking the red eyes back because they can grow to be 3" and need a school of at least 5, which, if you kept them and returned the neons, you'd still be overstocked,
7 neons are manageable in a 10g.

Was your tank cycled? Sorry if I missed that. Adding that many fish at once is going to overwhelm the cycle.
Keep a close eye on your water parameters.

Good luck.

My tank was deffinately cycled and I have a 30 gal tank from my mother I'm preparing to transfer my Red Eyes to once they start to really grow. I have it all under control! =)
I love that everyone is very concerned about my tank (soon to be tanks), it's very heartwarming. For now, I've posted pictures of my wee fish but you know.. my 10 gal seems so big.. anyway.. the fish are happy while small for the time being and I'm sure they'll soon enjoy their 30gal home once they are bigger!

Shawnie
everyone thinks its ok to the visual eye when fishies are small...its their bioload that's the worry not their size..but you did awesome getting the bigger tank ....you have a bad case of MTS coming on..be careful as there is no cure

Fishie_Freak
everyone thinks its ok to the visual eye when fishies are small...its their bioload that's the worry not their size..but you did awesome getting the bigger tank ....you have a bad case of MTS coming on..be careful as there is no cure

I wouldn't dream of overcrowding my tank and endangering my fish.. I actually spend almost an hour every day, sometimes twice a day just sitting infront of the tank with my two cats watching my fish. My cats have perches where they fall asleep watching the fish ~ my cats are VERY strange, they don't seem to care about how the fish are in there, just that they are moving in there. They seem to be treating it like the computer or TV, probably because I used to use that fish screen saver and I watch a lot of wildlife shows. Strange pets I have.. purring and content because I got them a 'TV' they don't get in trouble for sitting infront of lol

MTS?

okey:

Shawnie
multiple tank sickness LOL its on the move in your mind I can see it!! and yes are pets are strange..my dogs sit n watch the fish..not sure why, but I can see the cats licking their lips now

Fishie_Freak
multiple tank sickness LOL its on the move in your mind I can see it!! and yes are pets are strange..my dogs sit n watch the fish..not sure why, but I can see the cats licking their lips now

Actually lol the only fish I can get my cats to eat raw is tuna and sardines.. they turn their noses up at EVERYTHING else! Well, unless, of course, it's cooked. And, also.. they prefer KFC over all other chicken.. they only bug us on the rare occasion we have KFC. And if we're nice enough to give them a nibble they purr louder than ever.

Anyway, I've had 'MTS' brewing ever since I worked in a pet store. I plan to own at least 4 tanks, one of them being a very large saltwater. I just want to be sure I get used to the routine of taking care of a fish tank among everything else I do with my time before I get into a saltwater tank. I also need to wait until I'm actually working as a chef before I indulge in something pricey like that. But I can't wait!!

Lucy
My tank was deffinately cycled and I have a 30 gal tank from my mother I'm preparing to transfer my Red Eyes to once they start to really grow. I have it all under control! =)
I love that everyone is very concerned about my tank (soon to be tanks), it's very heartwarming. For now, I've posted pictures of my wee fish but you know.. my 10 gal seems so big.. anyway.. the fish are happy while small for the time being and I'm sure they'll soon enjoy their 30gal home once they are bigger!

Great! Keep your eye on your water and do plenty of water changes. That's a lot of fish poo we're talking about, not just their size.

We love for your fish to be happy as well as you!

Good luck.

Devon
I'm so sorry about your fallen angel. Poor thing; it isn't silly to cry over fish, I do it every time I lose one. It's so hard to love and nurture and care for and fuss over a pet -- any pet -- and then watch it die.

I agree with Alessa, if you only have the one angel now and have access to a bigger tank, maybe you could keep it? Those Koi angels are really neat fish, and I bet you would give her a good home!

The backdrop to your aquarium is adorable, by the way!!

multiple tank sickness LOL its on the move in your mind I can see it!!

I once had a nightmare that I had so many aquariums in my house, that I was doing nothing but running back and forth and up and down stairs, feeding, vacuuming, doing water changes, and checking on water parameters for dozens of aquariums... it's not a sickness, it's a plague!

Fishie_Freak
I once had a nightmare that I had so many aquariums in my house, that I was doing nothing but running back and forth and up and down stairs, feeding, vacuuming, doing water changes, and checking on water parameters for dozens of aquariums... it's not a sickness, it's a plague!

Are you sure that was a nightmare? lol I was doing that as an actual job a tone point.. It wasn't so bad, actually!

Lucy
I wouldn't dream of overcrowding my tank and endangering my fish

I know I've mentioned this before, but I revisited this thread and I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, and I don't mean it to be, but IMO, you're doing that right now with 28" of fish in a 10 gallon tank.

Fishie_Freak
I know I've mentioned this before, but I revisited this thread and I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, and I don't mean it to be, but IMO, you're doing that right now with 28" of fish in a 10 gallon tank.

And as I've also stated, I now have a bigger tank to transfer the Red Eye's to once it's ready =)

Alessa
And as I've also stated, I now have a bigger tank to transfer the Red Eye's to once it's ready =)

and as they also stated, it isn't the fish size what's the problem, it is the bioload. you have almost 3 times the limit bioload for your tank size.

as long as you get your other tank ready soon.... but lots and lots of water changes.

Fishie_Freak
and as they also stated, it isn't the fish size what's the problem, it is the bioload. you have almost 3 times the limit bioload for your tank size.

as long as you get your other tank ready soon.... but lots and lots of water changes.

I know, I'm on top of that. I check the water regularly and everything is just fine.

Fishie_Freak
My Red Eye's are gone~
Instead of setting up my new tank I let my friend adopt them into her 45 gal. I don't have a good place to put my other tank for now so I'm leaving it empty. I've decided my little 10gal may just need a few guppies to hang with my neons and it will be ok.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kribensis27
Replies
Views
Peacefantasy
2 3 4
Replies
Views
Pescado_Verde
Replies