My Little Cousin Wants Her First Aquarium

1. l

leeexie-flowy Valued Member Member

Hello everyone! Recently i went to my relative's house and found out they got my cousins a 3 gallon aquarium! Unfortunately the tank was awfully overstocked with platys, mollys, goldfish etc. So i talked them into getting the fish rehomed/returned and getting a Betta.
    I realize a Betta shouldn't be kept in nothing smaller than a 5 gallon, but it's that or they'll keep replacing the platys as they die. Plus, my older cousin may be a child, but she adores fish, so i hope to teach her a lot more than her parents can about caring for the fish.
    I'll guide them all through, so i'd like to know tips to make the aquarium the best as possible for the Betta and also to make it more visually appealing.
    Also, i have a small HOB filter being cycled on my bigger tank, can i possibly remove the media from my filter after it cycles and place it on their filter? If i can, how can i safely do it without killing the bb?
    Thanks in advance everyone :)

2. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

bad it in a bag with some water and feed put some ammonia in the bag and carry it to their house

3. Fish4Ever

Fish4Ever Valued Member Member

I am no betta expert but a lot of people on this forum will say there minimum tank size is 2.5 gallons.

4. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Most 3 gallons are fine for bettas (not King bettas) if filtered and heated. Just takes more water changes.

When fully cycled, they'll need to do about 2-3 30% water changes a week on it. (Personal experience.)

Anubias and moss balls are practically indestructible and very good betta plants.

Just take some of the media in a little container of water over to them and make sure it doesn't sit in the sun or anything. Unless your relatives are many hours away it'll survive a couple minutes without a lot of flow.

5. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Bag up the filter media in tank water and don't let it get too hot or too cold and the BB will transport fine to the new tank.

As for visually appealing, I'd say to keep it simple pick up a pack of betta bulbs from a pet store and drop them in, some may float some may sink. Don't bury them just arrange them on top of the substrate and let the floaters float, they grow super fast (might take a couple weeks to start) and once the floaters start you can bury the proper end if they are still floating.. Plus the packs are super cheap! Sometimes not all of the bulbs grow but I've always had the majority be just fine :)

6. OP
    OP
    l

leeexie-flowy Valued Member Member

Thank you very much for your answers! I'll be sure to keep the advice in mind

7. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

You sound like an older cousin who could spare a few dollars to get her the 5 or 10 gallon tank. That will be a good step in educating the younger cousin on how much space the betta would prefer to live in.

But also, even without spending money, keep an eye out on free sites for a good tank or tank setup, and then give it to her when you get it.