My Little Blue

Kim W.
HI there... I am at a loss on what to do about my beloved better little blue. My son was given him about 2 years ago for his birthday. Of course that falls on the mom (me), so I go buy him a 3 gallon tank, and filter and a heater that is always set to 78. I of course have made many mistakes, and before anyone asks no I haven't cycled and never knew what that was. He was eating everyday about 5 pellets he I assume over ate. But he started acting strange recently wants to be at the bottom has a tough time going to top to take a breath. I checked his water and some things were a little high not much so per the store added stuff. the ALK still high and he was struggling to breathe. So I did 100% water change with fresh water that was treated already made for bettas got rid of rocks for new ones, got Mike WozoskI (moss ball) and added a teaspoon of AQ Salt. I also plotted in an Almond leaf. He hasn't eaten as he tries to get to the top but can't stay there. I think he has clamped fins and I wasn't sure what else. I shined a light he looks gold but I am not sure if it is just his color. I have attached pictures before I changed out water. I had been putting in artemis microbe-lift herbal actives. It breaks my heart to see him this way he goes up gets a breath and comes back to the rocks. Please I know you hear the all time from postings but this little fish is part of our family. Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_5173.JPG
    IMG_5173.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5174.JPG
    IMG_5174.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 78
Sarah73
He's struggling with the cycle. Your tank is cycling. Get some prime. Water changes don't do much when a tank is cycling because most of the bacteria is in the filter pad.

Kim W.
HI Sarah, thanks for getting back to me. When I changed his water I did not put back his filter for fear of cross contamination so I ordered him another one.

Sarah73
Hello!, he needs a cycled filter in order to be happy. Have you looked at the nitrogen cycle? If not I would suggest in doing so. You can't aviod doing a cycle.

Kim W.
No I have never done that in all the 2 years. I really don't even understand what a cycle is. Is that changing of the water? I am pretty sure he has clamped fins and I am not sure if he has velvet as I can't tell if those are his colors. BTW you are super thoughtful and kind to be helping this novice better owner.

Sarah73
Hey! We are all beginners at some point. Take a few minutes and look up "nitrogen cycle in fish tank"
Edit: no water changes just add new water to the tank.

Kim W.
ok checking now

Sarah73
Sweet sauce

Kim W.
So basically like giving your tank good bacteria? Ok.... so do you wanna be my OBE-1 Canobe? Because I need some serious help. As of now he won't eat of move off bottom. He is better as he was gasping for air and stayed at top because of the off PH and the chemicals I added to help. Can you tell by looking at him what is his issue is? Clamped fin? Velvet?

Sarah73
Let me see a picture. Don't know what a OBE is but guessing it's something to do with guiding you in the right direction. What was the pH at and what chemicals did you add?

Kim W.
lol sorry from star wars and yes being my guiding light! Ok I attached pictures (these were before I did a 100% water change he was gasping for air. Mine doesn't tell you what the number is its color coded and the ph showed as being Alkaline. I also brought a sample of water to pet supermarket where they tested as well and referred me to these items. a neutral regulator ph 7.0 and bio-boost. Now he has had aquarium salt in his tank for a year on and off as well.

Attachments

• IMG_5174.JPG
    IMG_5174.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5173.JPG
    IMG_5173.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 71
Sarah73
Aquarium salt does more harm than good. Second you should invest in an API master test kit. Third, stop using the regulator pH 7.0. Will just ruin your cycle. If you need higher pH then get almond leaves.

Kim W.
SO now he only has salt, moss ball, almond leaf and this medicine artemis herbal actives just because I didn't know what to do and no one at any of the pet stores could help me as they have no much knowledge of bettas.

I did in fact stop the ph thingy

Sarah73
Buy some prime. It will keep him immune from the harmful stuff to a certain extent. Do you use water condition when you add new water?

Sarah73
Cool. I need sleep. mattgirl can you contiune helping her?

Kim W.
I always use a water conditioner so I don't know what happened did it not work? I moved from Florida to Texas about 2 months ago and ever since then he hasn't been ok. I will buy the kit. As of now I am buying pre-conditioned water that is ready to put in tank by top fin. My immediate concern is what could be wrong with him. Did you see the pictures?

Kim W.
Thanks Sarah I appreciate everything. Happy sleep

Sarah73
I see. What kind of water are you giving the fish? You may just need a water softener, so you don't need to buy pre-conditioned water. Sounds like he was stressed and the new water he is adjusting to

Kim W.
I was using tap water adding water conditioner to make it safe for him. He was sick before the new water I am afraid.

Sarah73
I can't do much without knowing the water parameters

Kim W.
I understand. Thank you again for trying. I was hoping you could tell by my posted pics what could be wrong in your fish wisdom. (big hug for trying to help me. )

Sarah73
How is he acting weird? Could be parasite, stressed, or bacterial.

aussieJJDude is gonna help you. I need sleep. Will help when I wake up

Dch48
He could just be getting old. Bettas slow down when they get older and usually only live about 3 years.

mattgirl
Thanks for the shout out Sarah73 I will try to help. It is possible that it is age related and all that can be done for him is clean warm water.

If you have salt in his water you want to do a few back to back small water changes to slowly get it out of there. Get an API Master Freshwater test kit to test his water so we can know what is going on with it. Without knowing the levels of ammonia, nitrite and/or nitrates and PH it is difficult to know how to help.

And you want to get a bottle of Seachem Prime if you don't already have it. It is first and foremost a water conditioner but it also neutralizes low amounts of ammonia and nitrites.

Until then the best thing you can do for him is keep him temp about 79 and keep his water clean by doing water changes with treated water at least every other day until you get the test kit and can know what is going on with his water.

Don't add anything other than water conditioner to his water.

aussieJJDude
I'm glad that you came go the board. I'm sure we'll all help you though this.

I may of missed it, but have you added the old filter back in? If not, I would highly suggest adding it in which may contain some of that beneficial bacteria.

As for the betta itself, he looks in relatively good condition. Quick question, does the betta have black edging on his fins? The pics look like he does, but it may not be the case. Anyway, if he does its normally an indication of fin rot, which is usually caused by poor water quality. A great way is to add tannins - which the leaf does - which is antI fungal and does help reduce further bacterial infections. Likewise, if you can daily waterchanges - like something small like 1/2 - 1 gallon a day - would help, ensuring that he has clean water.

As for the water, do you happen to have a test kit - sorry if was asked before... may of missed again. if not, do you happen to have a pet store that could test it for you? If yes, get them to give you the numerical values (good, great and ok isn't helpful. )

Fanatic
Hello! Welcome to Fishlore

I am sorry about your betta, but it happens to everyone, we were all beginners and make mistakes just like you did here.

Okay, so let’s help this betta. Since your tank isn’t cycled, we can either cycle it with or without the fish in the tank, but I think he should be removed to prevent extra stress from happening. You’ll need to pick up some Tetra SafeStart+ bacteria, a bottle of Seachem Prime, and detergent or scent free ammonia to cycle the tank. I will link the guide to cycling below.

Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

You will need to move him to another tank or container while this one cycles. I recommend changing his water often while waiting for the original filter to cycle, ammonia or nitrites won’t build up so fast that way. My best advice for now is to stay on top of water changes, and getting that tank cycled. Keep everyone updated, and we’ll go from there.

mattgirl
Hello!, he needs a cycled filter in order to be happy. Have you looked at the
nitrogen cycle? If not I would suggest in doing so. You can't aviod doing a cycle.
I have to disagree with this. I know this is what you have read right here on this forum but as long as regular water changes are made a fish can live its life out in an uncycled tank.

A cycle is basically for our benefit and some for the fish. Since the bacteria that is the cycle processes the ammonia produced by fish we don't have to do as many water changes. If water changes are done every couple of days with just one fish and all will be well.

The thing is, if there is a filter the tank will cycle. It has no choice. As long as there is an ammonia source the bacteria will grow. We don't have to do anything other than water changes and the cycle will happen.
I always use a water conditioner so I don't know what happened did it not work? I moved from Florida to Texas about 2 months ago and ever since then he hasn't been ok. I will buy the kit. As of now I am buying pre-conditioned water that is ready to put in tank by top fin. My immediate concern is what could be wrong with him. Did you see the pictures?
I suspect he never got used to the very different water. Without knowing the numbers from the water in Florida and the water in Texas we can only guess but it is possible that the water in Texas is a lot harder thus a higher PH than what he was used to and if not acclimated to it very slowly it could have caused what you are seeing right now. Again only guessing because without testing we can't know, it is possible each time you change his source water the difference in PH is affecting him in a negative manner.
Hello! Welcome to Fishlore

I am sorry about your betta, but it happens to everyone, we were all beginners and make mistakes just like you did here.

Okay, so let’s help this betta. Since your tank isn’t cycled, we can either cycle it with or without the fish in the tank, but I think he should be removed to prevent extra stress from happening. You’ll need to pick up some Tetra SafeStart+ bacteria, a bottle of Seachem Prime, and detergent or scent free ammonia to cycle the tank. I will link the guide to cycling below.

Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
You will need to move him to another tank or container while this one cycles. I recommend changing his water often while waiting for the original filter to cycle, ammonia or nitrites won’t build up so fast that way. My best advice for now is to stay on top of water changes, and getting that tank cycled. Keep everyone updated, and we’ll go from there.
Please explain to me how moving him to another uncycled tank while cycling this one will help him. This little guy is 2 years old and has lived in this tank for most of those 2 years.

I hate to be so blunt but sometimes cycling a tank, while important, is not the main concern. I do agree with your recommendation to stay on top of water changes though.

Kim W.
HI MattGirl thanks so much for answering back. We do weekly water changes. Maybe we were feeding him to much he was a piggy. As of now he isn't doing well and everything we kept putting in to his tank made hime worse. So I put him in a 1 gallon little tank like a hospital I put in a quarter almond leaf, his moss ball and betta revive. No pump and my heater is way to big but his water is a nice 76 degrees. I will change a little of his water every day. Maybe his aquarium salt did this, the move I am not sure. Its confusing because he has the symptoms of dropsy but no pine cone on his scales. As he goes to the top to get water and falls straight back down. He is precious to me and seeing this is difficult.

mattgirl
HI MattGirl thanks so much for answering back. We do weekly water changes. Maybe we were feeding him to much he was a piggy. As of now he isn't doing well and everything we kept putting in to his tank made hime worse. So I put him in a 1 gallon little tank like a hospital I put in a quarter almond leaf, his moss ball and betta revive. No pump and my heater is way to big but his water is a nice 76 degrees. I will change a little of his water every day. Maybe his aquarium salt did this, the move I am not sure. Its confusing because he has the symptoms of dropsy but no pine cone on his scales. As he goes to the top to get water and falls straight back down. He is precious to me and seeing this is difficult.
I know this is breaking your heart and I wish with all of my heart that I had answers for you. The very best thing you can do for him is keep his water as fresh and clean as possible. Without knowing the perimeters of his tank I can't tell you whether or not he is in a safe healthy environment.

If he has been overfed you could try fasting him for a day or two and then offering him a frozen and then thawed deshelled pea. It should help him if he is constipated.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Sleepyflea
Replies
Views
aquanata
Replies
Views
ForBettaorForWorse
Top Bottom