My LFS

genie

Well Known
Member
Messages
888
Reaction score
3
Location
Rock Springs, WY
Experience
More than 10 years
My LFS has an all female tank. I asked them if they ever had any problems and they said never. BUT.... one of the poor little girls had awful stress stripes. There was no attacking, just a little chasing, but nothing bad. But I felt awful for that scared little fishy girl. They said they always keep their females together. I just don't know. :-\
One think they do do that I like is that they keep their males in community tanks with other fish instead of the little cups.
 

Jendayi

Active Member
Member
Messages
366
Reaction score
3
Location
NW Florida
My LFS does that with the males on occasion, too. But sometimes the males look a LOT worse for the wear. On two occasions I have pointed out to them that they had two males in the same tank. Apparently they jump over the barrier between the tanks. Also they put them in with just about any tankmates, it seems. I have seen them with their fins all nipped to ****.

I have only seen a female in a community tank there once. I was wandering around at feeding time and saw this little female just SCARFING down on all the food they had put in the tank. She was keeping her tank mates away from it and just pigging out. I told them about that one, too, and whoever fed them apparently didn't know she was in there, either. He was like Oops!
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
25,141
Reaction score
27
Location
Denver, Colorado
Experience
Just started
I'm guessing the LFS employee had their fingers crossed when they said that? Seems like they wouldn't admit problems and stress stripes don't say "happy tank" to me. I think keeping the males in community tanks can be as bad as the little cups.. fin nipping, stress, etc.. how about a pet store that has them in decent sized containers that are kept clean?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
genie

genie

Well Known
Member
Messages
888
Reaction score
3
Location
Rock Springs, WY
Experience
More than 10 years
yeah, it seems that there isn't a pet store on the planet that keeps bettas in a good environment. I guess we are gonna have to open one!
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
25,141
Reaction score
27
Location
Denver, Colorado
Experience
Just started
Genie said:
yeah, it seems that there isn't a pet store on the planet that keeps bettas in a good environment. I guess we are gonna have to open one!
LOL.. well a dream of ours is to one day open a betta shop selling everything Betta. Now if we just had some investors (or the next powerball numbers )...
 

Phloxface

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,192
Reaction score
4
My petsmart store also keeps some female Bettas in a tank together and they "claim" they get along. One of the employees there who I chat with a lot says they scoop out the dead ones every morning and add more so the customers never really see the bad things that happen to those females. I don't understand why stores insist on misleading people into believing that female Bettas can get along together. I guess they just want you to keep coming back and buying replacements for the fish that get killed in your all female tank.  :
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
25,141
Reaction score
27
Location
Denver, Colorado
Experience
Just started
Phloxface said:
My petsmart store also keeps some female Bettas in a tank together and they "claim" they get along. One of the employees there who I chat with a lot says they scoop out the dead ones every morning and add more so the customers never really see the bad things that happen to those females. I don't understand why stores insist on misleading people into believing that female Bettas can get along together. I guess they just want you to keep coming back and buying replacements for the fish that get killed in your all female tank. :
EXACTLY! I think at the entrance to our betta shop should be a sign "Abandon all mis-information, ye who enter here" We have a friend who's a machinist and if we were able to start a betta shop one day, would ask him to help us design the ideal setup to display all of our bettas while giving them a decent sized container/area and keeping them all seperate.. and keep it all heated and filtered.
 

Phloxface

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,192
Reaction score
4
I have some great ideas of the ideal home Betta tanks, both single and large divided ones with heating and filteration that extends into each section. Each tank or section of tank would be at least 5 gallons and shallower with more surface swimming space. If only I could patent it and get funding to make them. I think the trend these days seems to be more towards getting away from the awful Betta bowls and more towards proper sized heated filtered tanks. It would be great if I could make these tanks and you could sell them in your Betta shops so people would have proper tanks to keep these precious babies in!
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
25,141
Reaction score
27
Location
Denver, Colorado
Experience
Just started
Phloxface said:
I have some great ideas of the ideal home Betta tanks, both single and large divided ones with heating and filteration that extends into each section. Each tank or section of tank would be at least 5 gallons and shallower with more surface swimming space. If only I could patent it and get funding to make them. I think the trend these days seems to be more towards getting away from the awful Betta bowls and more towards proper sized heated filtered tanks. It would be great if I could make these tanks and you could sell them in your Betta shops so people would have proper tanks to keep these precious babies in!
yea, and a good way to keep them happy & healthy until they got adopted. No little betta prisons in our shop!
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
263
Guests online
2,932
Total visitors
3,195

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom