Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

My Lfs Said One Thing But Aquadvisor Says Another Re African Cichlids

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ghurty, Mar 24, 2019.

1. ghurtyValued MemberMember

I was talking to someone who builds custom aquariums in my area. He suggested I should look at a mix of:
    Orange shoulder peacock,
    sunburst peacock,
    frontosa,
    venestus,
    yellow lab (can get a few),
    electric blue ahli,
    blue dolphin,
    pink peacock,
    ob peacock

But when I put that in aquadvisor it puts up warning about mixing different type of lake fish as well as that some need a minimum of 5. How accurate is that?

Thank you

2. A201Well Known MemberMember

As long as you have at least a 75 gal. Tank, all the fish on your list are fine minus the Frontosa.
    Frontosas grow large and do better in groups. It is the only fish on the list not from Lake Malawi.

3. ghurtyValued MemberMember

Thank you.
    I have a 150 Gallon tank so that should be large enough.
    I was unable to find Orange shoulder peacock, sunburst peacock, pink peacock, or ob peacocks. So I was going to substitute for other peackocks. Will certain peacocks not play well with others?
    Besides the Yellow labs I was going to go with 1 of each and the yellow labs I was going to go with four or five. Would that work?

Thank you

4. A201Well Known MemberMember

Try to stock a male only tank. Instead of the Frontosa, look at the other Nimbochromis varieties such as the Fuscotaeniatus (Fusco) & Livingstoni. Other cool Haps are Red Empress and the Red Fin Boeleyi.

5. ghurtyValued MemberMember

Thank you.
    I would be buying from Live Aquaria and I dont think they give the option of gender. They unfortunately do not have any of the fish that you suggested.

Would this mix work (and these are fish that I am just picking based on trying to get a mix of colors, I know nothing about most of them):
    6 X Electric Yellow Cichlid (labs)
    1 X Electric Blue Cichlid
    1 X Venustus
    1 X Blue Peacock
    1 X Red Peacock
    1 X Yellow Peacock
    1 X Orange blotched Peacock
    1 X Albino Peacock
    1 X Yellowfin Borleyi Cichlid

Thank you

6. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

I would stick to just the same lakes definitely, and strongly urge you to do just Peacocks. Reason being is that Peacocks and Mbuna (like yellow labs and electric blues) have different diets. Peacocks needs more meaty foods, which the Mbuna will probably eat too, but it’s not good for them as they are basically herbivores and are prone to bloating. Ironically Mbuna are more aggressive and don’t play nicely with Peacocks a lot of the time. Definitely not impossible, but for someone new to Africans I wouldn’t recommend it.

I’d also recommend not ordering from liveaquaria, they’re owned by Petco.

7. ghurtyValued MemberMember

Thank you. Who would you recommend ordering from?

8. A201Well Known MemberMember

You can mix Haps & Peacocks in a 150. Find a vendor that will sell guaranteed males. Female Peacocks will never color up and will remain gray. Take your time, research all the fish varieties and enjoy the anticipation.

9. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

@ghurty, liveaquaria.com is a great place, but they are limited on their offering on sizes and do not make any attempt to sex their fish. I think they are more of a wholesaler that sells to the public and they do not breed their own fish.

take a look at   online.

They are also on YouTube. They have a massive operation, and sell to wholesale and to the public. Here is a link of   with the owner of their facility.

They sell a large variety of sexed and un-sexed African and South/Central American (new world) cichlids.

Also try livefishdirect.com. they also sell sexed and un-sexed African cichlids with a large selection.

Other places online........

, there are some tours of their place featured on YouTube, I linked their list of stock

Mike's Cichlids -Florida fish farm that sells to public

Tampa Bay Cichlids

Cichlids are Special

Also, before jumping into the world of cichlids, take a look at the following YouTube channels for more info on them.

They all are great sources for information....

Prime Time Aquatics

KG Tropicals

Ben Ochart

Steve Poland Aquatics

Tazawa Tanks

Aquarium Co-Op

IFG (Inquisitive Fish Guy, Hap Nation)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019