My last conversation with Seachem

Cichlidude

In an effort to continue to try to receive information from Seachem on their products it looks like this will be the last email conversation with them. I decided to consolidate the products that many people on the internet have had issues with, instead of asking one-by-one, to get the
data for everyone.

I asked for them to reply with even just one product on the list for any information from a 3rd party testing facility, chemist or biologist. This would include of course, universities or any colleges.

Here it the email conversation: Jan 16, 2020 8:29 am

Hello,

Sorry to bother everyone there but I would like some information please on the following products below.

Since Seachem has been in business for over 35 years I know that you have had years and years to document the claims of all these products below and present them. However, I cannot find any documents providing the claims to be accurate or any studies to prove these claims. I cannot find anything on the Seachem web site, nothing on the Internet from 3^rd party testing companies or professional chemist or biologist. Surly I know Seachem has these papers available and if proven true, available to the public.

Please do not quote any marketing information on your web site or any labels from any products as I have already seen this information.

Please provide the Seachem web site information, any PDF file or any internet URL where this information is kept for public review. This would benefit Seachem greatly.

Any information on any of these products would be appreciated.

Seachem Prime
Seachem Safe
Seachem KanaPlex
Seachem Metroplex
Seachem Matrix
Seachem De*Nitrate
Seachem Stability
Seachem AmGuard
Seachem Purigen
Seachem Flourish
Seachem Flourish Excel
Seachem Pristine

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Sachems’ reply: Jan 16, 2020 11:32 am

Thank you again for your interest in Seachem. As we have explained previously, the information you requested is proprietary and form part of Seachem’s trade secrets so we cannot release that information publicly. Your questions seem to be very specific and pointed, however we cannot discern what the purpose is of the inquiry. It may be helpful to us in helping you if you could please tell us why you want this information.

Thanks,

Seachem support 10312

Seachem is appears to be getting a little defensive.

To which I replied: Jan 16, 2020 12:36 pm

Hello,

Yes. Very simple. I would like proof via scientific evidence that your products do what they say. I am not asking for any proprietary information. Just the full test procedures that were used to verify the results. This just means number of tanks used, how big, creating the water parameters, filters used, to see how the products have been shown to react and show evidence that they all do as Seachem says. Again, Seachem has had years to test and documents these results.

Some of these test procedures are very simple to create and prove. It’s just that nowhere are there any results showing this type of information. As stated, I don't care what the material or ingredients are in each product. But every manufacturer has these results in order to prove the products do as they say. There is no reason to hide any of this information is there? In fact it should be out in the open to show how good the Seachem products are.

I know I am not the first person to request this information.

Please let me know.

Thank you.

All email from Seachem stopped at this time.

Eight (8) days go by and I send this reply: Jan 24, 2020 7:19 am

Hello again.

Just want to make sure you have not forgotten about this issue. I have not received any information for any one of the products listed. This would be very disheartening if there was nothing available to show that any of the Seachem products listed in this email perform what the label and documentation says.

If I receive no reply from this email, this is fine; one can only assume that any information for the products listed does not exist.

Again, thank you very much for your assistance.

No further email from Seachem. All subsequent email asking for information has gone unanswered.

I’ll let you draw your own conclusions.

FinalFins

I mean, the majority of those products are used and work perfectly for fishkeepers, so I feel like that would be enough proof for me. Also they did say they were trade secrets so if they did provide information there may be something that gives away the trade secrets.

ProudPapa

I will draw my own conclusions, as you advised, but they may not coincide with yours.

david1978

So were are we at with this? Paying extra for unneeded things? The price itself? If its needed? Throw me a bone here.

Jerome O'Neil

A little bit of chemistry education would tell you what is in most of them, anyway, and why and how they work.

The "proprietary" claim is because they don't want you to know how much you are paying for sulfur salts.

david1978

A little bit of chemistry education would tell you what is in most of them, anyway, and why and how they work.

The "proprietary" claim is because they don't want you to know how much you are paying for sulfur salts.
Sulfur salts? Pffft. I have sponge in my filters.

TWiG87

While it would be interesting to see some proof on paper from a neutral 3rd party, I have a feeling Seachem will never provide them, nor are they obligated to do so. I guess If someone wanted to really find out for themselves, they could conduct their own experiments and try to discern whether the products work or not. I guess I’ll base my opinion on how my current cycle goes with Stability

coralbandit

I have formed my own definition for proprietary as far as the fish industry goes ; If you knew what the recipe was , you would be mad as all get out when you thought about how much they charged you for it ! You would quickly see your $9 bottle of whatever cost them 3 cents to make and 5 cents to package ...Leaving them a healthy profit with little to no research or study done [that cut into profits] ..
Originally Seachem was formed by and for hobbyist ..Sounds like they forgot where they came from ..Now they only remeber where their money comes from and can not risk being honest. I use seachem products [safe] and would and will no matter what they say .
Shame they don't want to be honest ..That is the biggest rub to me ?

Jerome O'Neil

I have formed my own definition for proprietary as far as the fish industry goes ; If you knew what the recipe was , you would be mad as all get out when you thought about how much they charged you for it ! You would quickly see your $9 bottle of whatever cost them 3 cents to make and 5 cents to package ...Leaving them a healthy profit with little to no research or study done [that cut into profits] ..

Slapping "aquarium" on anything triples the cost.

If I buy a bag of quartz blasting sand at my local hardware store it runs about $8 for a 50lb bag. If I take that same sand and put 2lbs in a plastic bag and call it "aquarium sand" I can sell it for about $5 per lb, meaning I can sell that exact same quartz sand for about $250.

Which is a great business model, if you think about it.

coralbandit

Slapping "aquarium" on anything triples the cost.

If I buy a bag of quartz blasting sand at my local hardware store it runs about $8 for a 50lb bag. If I take that same sand and put 2lbs in a plastic bag and call it "aquarium sand" I can sell it for about $5 per lb, meaning I can sell that exact same quartz sand for about $250.

Which is a great business model, if you think about it.
And here I am taking 4-6 months to grow out fish for a measly $10 ! Not complaining but yea selling rocks ,sticks and sand don't sound so bad ..
Live arrive guarantee? Of course !

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
flyinGourami
Replies
Views
EmiliyaCossack
Replies
Views
UnknownUser
Replies