my large bala shark broke its fin while i was moving him

  • Thread starter

chucks1983

New Member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
76
Experience
Just started
hey guys long time listner first time caller lol... ive had my bala shark for just over a year n he was getting 2 big for his old tank got new much bigger tank anyways long story short his dorsal fin broke during moving him, right between the 2 black markings wow they jump around like crazy..... will this heal. i hope so id hate to think anything was going to happen to my beloved pet
 
  • Moderator

ryanr

Moderator
Messages
11,230
Reaction score
1,231
Points
633
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi chucks, welcome to fishlore [we all hope you enjoy the site]

I can't really help with your question, but thought I'd bump it up in the hope that some of our other members might be able to help.

Good luck, and sorry to hear about your shark (poor guy)
 

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Messages
39,063
Reaction score
336
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Chucks and Welcome to Fish Lore.

Sorry to hear about your shark. My best advice is to keep his water as pristine as possible. Add some Vita Chem, for additional vitamins, some garlic juice onto the food will help to boost the immune system. See link below on garlic (or you can use Garlic Guard):
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/minced-garlic-in-a-jar-just-an-example-for-those-needing-it.62705/

You may not have the same brands in your area but it will give you an idea. Make sure the garlic is in water and not oil. Fresh garlic can be used too.

Some Nova Aqua or Stress Coat to help reduce stress and add some body slime the net may have removed.

Will the fish fin heal? I'm not certain. It may depend on the extent of the damage, where it broke, I just can't say for sure.

Best wishes for a full recovery!

Oh...If there is any way possible I recommend you use some type of plastic container (one that has NEVER seen soap) to catch your fish and forget about the nets. I think the nets remove body slime, fish can be tangled in them too causing more damage and obviously your mishap. (assuming you used a net that is )

Ken
 
  • Moderator

Lucy

Moderator
Messages
45,201
Reaction score
2,424
Points
1,383
Experience
5 to 10 years
chucks1983 said:
hey guys long time listner first time caller lol... ive had my bala shark for just over a year n he was getting 2 big for his old tank got new much bigger tank anyways long story short his dorsal fin broke during moving him, right between the 2 black markings wow they jump around like crazy..... will this heal. i hope so id hate to think anything was going to happen to my beloved pet
Welcome to FishLore!!
I'm sorry about your Shark
Can you post a picture? Do you mean he lost part of his fin or is it still attached?

ryanr said:
thought I'd bump it up in the hope that some of our other members might be able to help.
ryanr, no reason for a bump 6 minutes after something is posted.
Not everyone is on at the same time. Sometimes, you have to wait a while until the right member logs in.
 
  • Moderator

ryanr

Moderator
Messages
11,230
Reaction score
1,231
Points
633
Experience
More than 10 years
lucy said:
ryanr, no reason for a bump 6 minutes after something is posted.
Not everyone is on at the same time. Sometimes, you have to wait a while until the right member logs in.
Lucy, I don't get it, when I bumped it, the time of posting was roughly 14hrs ago [about 7:40am my time, it's 9:50pm now] when I was surfing unanswered ???
I'm normally pretty good, and I remember seeing this thread at work this morning. (well I'm pretty sure I did)

Anyway, this is OT and not helping the OP. Sorry for the dramas....

Again, good luck chucks, hope it works out.
 
  • Moderator

Lucy

Moderator
Messages
45,201
Reaction score
2,424
Points
1,383
Experience
5 to 10 years
ryanr said:
Lucy, I don't get it, when I bumped it, the time of posting was roughly 14hrs ago [about 7:40am my time, it's 9:50pm now] when I was surfing unanswered ???
I'm normally pretty good, and I remember seeing this thread at work this morning. (well I'm pretty sure I did)
Maybe you needed more coffee?
I thought it was rather an odd thing to do. lol

Yep, sorry for going OT.

Hopefully a picture will help.
 
  • Thread starter

chucks1983

New Member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
76
Experience
Just started
thanks guys on the quick replys, i might try him with sum garlic till i can get to my local aquarium in the morning.. yes i used a net .. from wat i can tell the top spiney bone running along the top of his fin has snapped and as a result sum ripping of his fin has occured.. he seems to be fine, happened not long b4 i posted .. been watching him since while cruising the web trying to find answers and trying to ease my my mind.. poor fella .... Will upload sum photos a.s.a.p
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom