My Koi Jumped Out Of The Water And Is Not Recovering That Well

YummySashimi

HI guys,

I have a sanke jumped out on me last week, he wasn't even breathing by the time I found him. I wasn't prepared to lose him so I held him against the outflow of the filter for about an hour and brought him back to life. After that I let him back into the pond, but only to find out later he was bullied to death by the other fish. So I brought him back to life again and this time put him in quarantine.

The problem is he never fully recovered from that incident. His balance is off(slightly tilts to one side even when he's perfectly still), he's extremely skittish(darts around when I do a water change) and generally isn't very energetic. Can somebody with similar experience please tell me if he'll be able to recover and be put back into the pond or do I have to make the QT his permanent home?

Please help, and thank you

Demeter

It is possible the fish injured the swim bladder, seeing as its off balance. The swim bladder may never return to normal but then again it could just take more time. How big is your pond? I don't often hear of koi jumping from ponds, mostly birds of pray and/or raccoons going after them.

If you need to make the QT a permanent residence for the koi, it better be a huge tank as koi easily reach well over a foot long.

YummySashimi

It is possible the fish injured the swim bladder, seeing as its off balance. The swim bladder may never return to normal but then again it could just take more time. How big is your pond? I don't often hear of koi jumping from ponds, mostly birds of pray and/or raccoons going after them.

If you need to make the QT a permanent residence for the koi, it better be a huge tank as koi easily reach well over a foot long.

It's not a big pond but I just have three fish in it, and the water quality was good,0,0, and 10 if my memory serves. Something spooked him maybe? Does any kind of meds or treament help with swim bladder problems? My QT is an old aquarium of mine and it's not very big, so I really hope he would be able to go back into the pond

Demeter

You could try some aquarium salt and perhaps an antibiotic of sorts. Keep the water extra fresh with daily water changes if possible.

jpm995

I would recommend just watching him in the QT tank. He's been through **** it may take him awhile to recover.

YummySashimi

You could try some aquarium salt and perhaps an antibiotic of sorts. Keep the water extra fresh with daily water changes if possible.
I would recommend just watching him in the QT tank. He's been through it may take him awhile to recover.

Thank you guy for replying I’ll keep him in the qt for the time being and maybe add some salt to help dealing with osmostic pressure. If it’s a swim bladder related problem will feeding him a boiled pea help?

jpm995

Some people swear by the pea feeding routine, I never really tried it. One thing about koi is that their incredibly healthy. I had one jump out of an indoor pond, son in law found him we guessed he had been out of water for well over an hour. He put him back in the pond and he developed a hugh patch of fuzz over much of his side. It fell off in a few weeks and he lived a long, healthy life with no issues.

GrayGray4231

Pic, or video?

YummySashimi

Pic, or video?

This fish developed a black spot kinda under his skin near the tail, and the scales around the area got a little fuzzy. What I mean by that is the scales are not shiny and smooth anymore and gotten kinda like frosted glass and the skin underneath appears to be pink. Is this a bacterial infection? Also, he seems to have ich on the head. Or is this carp pox maybe?

Attached are the pictures I took of him in the hospital tank. I tried to get better pictures but these are all I could manage.

Pic, or video?
Here are the pics
Some people swear by the pea feeding routine, I never really tried it. One thing about koi is that their incredibly healthy. I had one jump out of an indoor pond, son in law found him we guessed he had been out of water for well over an hour. He put him back in the pond and he developed a hugh patch of fuzz over much of his side. It fell off in a few weeks and he lived a long, healthy life with no issues.
Did the fuzz look anything like the stuff in my pic? I know it's not very good pics but..

Here are the pics

Did the fuzz look anything like the stuff in my pic? I know it's not very good pics but..

Attachments

• 0416_1.jpg
    0416_1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 269
  • 0416_2.jpg
    0416_2.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 238
  • 0416_3.jpg
    0416_3.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 339
  • 0416_4.jpg
    0416_4.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 252
  • 0416_5.jpg
    0416_5.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 353

jpm995

Sorry for the late reply. No the fuzz on my fish was about an inch long and white. Looked like a piece of carpet had been glued to his side. Didn't seem to affect him much and it just disappeared about a month later.

YummySashimi

Sorry for the late reply. No the fuzz on my fish was about an inch long and white. Looked like a piece of carpet had been glued to his side. Didn't seem to affect him much and it just disappeared about a month later.
oh, I have a rainbow that kinda has the same stuff growing on him. Fungal infection?

_IceFyre_

Probably. Try giving the rainbow a bath in a double strength methylene blue solution for 30 minutes and repeat a few times a day. It's usually worked for me.

YummySashimi

Probably. Try giving the rainbow a bath in a double strength methylene blue solution for 30 minutes and repeat a few times a day. It's usually worked for me.
Wouldn’t multiple baths a day stress the fish out tho?

_IceFyre_

Somewhat, yes, but it's generally worth the risk. Fungus comes in many different strains, but a lot of them kill quickly and need to be treated aggressively.
Methylene blue is not known for being an especially harsh med for the fish, and eggs and newborn fry are often dosed with it to ensure the best survival rates by preventing fungus.

YummySashimi

Somewhat, yes, but it's generally worth the risk. Fungus comes in many different strains, but a lot of them kill quickly and need to be treated aggressively.
Methylene blue is not known for being an especially harsh med for the fish, and eggs and newborn fry are often dosed with it to ensure the best survival rates by preventing fungus.
Thank you IceFyre, I don’t have Methylene at hand atm, but I do have some Seschem Paraguard which contains Methylene green. Would that work as well?

_IceFyre_

Happy to help. It's worth a shot, I've seen people saying that Malachite green is a good treatment for fungus.
You might want to have a look at this article, it's a bit long but the treatment section is useful:

Best of luck!

YummySashimi

Happy to help. It's worth a shot, I've seen people saying that Malachite green is a good treatment for fungus.
You might want to have a look at this article, it's a bit long but the treatment section is useful:

Best of luck!

I'm having some trouble opening the link, but nonetheless, you've been really helpful. Thanks again

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rivieraneo
  • thejrav
  • Koi
Replies
Views
jdhef
  • Christina98
  • Koi
Replies