My kitty won’t stop peeing/spraying!

Olivia Janae

We’ve taken our poor boy to the vet (even switched to a new vet when the first ran out of ideas) every three weeks for the last year. There’s nothing physically wrong with him. It’s just that he and my other cat don’t get along.
They don’t even fight as much as my other cat just kind of runs him off every now and then.
I’m so frustrated and worried. I have never re-homed a cat. I don’t want to now! Even if I did, I doubt anyone would take him.
He’s been fixed since he was tiny. We have him on CBD, wearing a calming collar, and there’s Feltway all over the house! We have one more box than cats and we’ve added vertical space. We also have him on special food, in case it is medical and we can’t tell.
Does anyone have any advise?
He sprays/pees somewhere literally every day.

Fisch

I had a cat like that and he was so horridly afraid of the other cat that he only used the litter box when I carried him to his bathroom and was there during his business to make him feel safe. Re-homing is not bad in fairness to the cat, with the right owner he may learn to trust and use his litter box.

Upvote 0

Olivia Janae

God, I hope so. I’m to the point that I know if I love him then I have to rehome him. He’s not happy. I’m just not sure anyone at all would take him!

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Is he neutered? Male cats spray to mark territory. You have to know if it really spray or pee. Spray smells way worse than pee. Spray will be on the walls and the side of boxes or sides of furniture. Pee will be on like towels or clothes on the floor or a bed.....Sometimes it is really hard to get a male cat to stop spraying once they start. That is the biggest reason people get male cats neutered is because of the spraying issues. Stop it before it starts kind of thing.

Upvote 0

ValkyrieLips

It sounds like he is beyond stressed out and it may not be the right environment for him. There is no shame in rehoming, sometimes it's the best thing you can do for the animal.

Upvote 0

Olivia Janae

Is he neutered? Male cats spray to mark territory. You have to know if it really spray or pee. Spray smells way worse than pee. Spray will be on the walls and the side of boxes or sides of furniture. Pee will be on like towels or clothes on the floor or a bed.....Sometimes it is really hard to get a male cat to stop spraying once they start. That is the biggest reason people get male cats neutered is because of the spraying issues. Stop it before it starts kind of thing.
Yeah, he is. Tbh I has never even heard of a fixed cat spraying.
It’s been both, I think. We’ve seen it up on the wall and it’s stronger but also on things in a circle.
I’m at a loss.

Upvote 0

Strider1520

Like Stargirl said.......we got a male stray that we have had for 2 years now. When he first came, he sprayed EVERYTHING every day it seemed. We had him neutered and all the spraying stopped.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

He is neutered so it must be stressed from the other cat then. They can spray still once neutered if he was mature when he got neutered too. Im sorry, unless you can afford a pet psychologist you may have to separate them if he is stressed that much. Cats are hard to break of that stuff once they start. :(

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I used to have a male cat whp always acted like he was spraying after I got him neutered though he never actually was spraying. He was a backwards cat in general, though.

Upvote 0

Fisch

Yeah, he is. Tbh I has never even heard of a fixed cat spraying.
It’s been both, I think. We’ve seen it up on the wall and it’s stronger but also on things in a circle.
I’m at a loss.
Male cats can pee high against the walls, after some time the house stinks no matter what it is :(

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

The only time i have actually seen a fixed cat do it, there was a bladder infection or a UTI involved. My sisters poor cat struggled with it for years til they switched food. He may have had surgery too, can't remember. He is just fine these days though.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • JimSinclair
  • Cat
Replies
Views
SixThreeOh
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • Question