My Kid Wants A Betta For His Birthday

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So my oldest boy, who turns 17 next month, and is also on the Autistic Spectrum, told me this weekend he wants a "red betta fish" for his birthday. Anyone have any fun tricks on getting kids to feed fish regularly and also to either do/help with water changes without having to pull teeth?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Betta'sAnonymous said:
So my oldest boy, who turns 17 next month, and is also on the Autistic Spectrum, told me this weekend he wants a "red betta fish" for his birthday. Anyone have any fun tricks on getting kids to feed fish regularly and also to either do/help with water changes without having to pull teeth?
My kids didn't eat until the animals were fed and they didn't go out on weekends or to special events etc until the dog, horse, bird's etc weekly needs were taken care of (waste removal, cage and stall cleaning, brushing, bathing etc.). I never had to pull teeth with those rules.
When my daughter wanted a horse at age 11, I leased a horse for her with the stipulation that if I had to remind her ever to feed the horse, clean the stall, exercise -the horse, schedule farriers, vets for vaccines etc. during the full 12 months, she could kiss owning a horse goodby. I didn't have to remind her once. She got a horse the next year. Setting limits and rules works with most kids, especially with special needs kids.

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don't know any tricks or games for this, sorry! I think straight up "hey this is what it takes if you want this fish" conversation is the way to go. If you are not pretty confident your son is going to do the care or help with it willingly I would really hesitate to get him the fish. Maybe have a discussion up front about the care and time involved in properly keeping a betta, what his responsibilities would be etc. and don't negotiate after the fact. My friend did that with her her kids and now she has 2 guinea pigs that she does all the work and care for or has to spend a bunch of time getting after the kids to do it. No fun for anyone.

From your name I was thinking you maybe have a betta or 2 (or more ) already. If you do then perhaps have him be involved in the care of that fish to see how it goes. If he isn't willing or finds it's not his cup of tea then so be it, he's 17 so i am sure there are lots of other present options. Or he might fall in love with it and won't take a lot of nagging to get him to take part in the care. One thing I did notice with myself is that the more I paid attention and interacted with my fish the more I kind of developed a greater bond with them and made taking care of them properly even more important to me. Maybe your son will find that to be the case as well. Good luck!

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Cherie G said:
I don't know any tricks or games for this, sorry! I think straight up "hey this is what it takes if you want this fish" conversation is the way to go. If you are not pretty confident your son is going to do the care or help with it willingly I would really hesitate to get him the fish. Maybe have a discussion up front about the care and time involved in properly keeping a betta, what his responsibilities would be etc. and don't negotiate after the fact. My friend did that with her her kids and now she has 2 guinea pigs that she does all the work and care for or has to spend a bunch of time getting after the kids to do it. No fun for anyone.

From your name I was thinking you maybe have a betta or 2 (or more ) already. If you do then perhaps have him be involved in the care of that fish to see how it goes. If he isn't willing or finds it's not his cup of tea then so be it, he's 17 so i am sure there are lots of other present options. Or he might fall in love with it and won't take a lot of nagging to get him to take part in the care. One thing I did notice with myself is that the more I paid attention and interacted with my fish the more I kind of developed a greater bond with them and made taking care of them properly even more important to me. Maybe your son will find that to be the case as well. Good luck!
Yeah, we have 5 bettas in the house currently, 2 of which are his sister's bettas(who started out good, then decided a few months ago that even feeding them was boring...she won't be getting any other type of pet for a few years, or more bettas when they eventually die)

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Yeah, we have 5 bettas in the house currently, 2 of which are his sister's bettas(who started out good, then decided a few months ago that even feeding them was boring...she won't be getting any other type of pet for a few years, or more bettas when they eventually die)

Pet care is easy for kids when it's new but once the novelty wears off it can be a challenge I'm sure. Hope it all works out so that everybody is happy!

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My kids have a bigger problem with feeding too often versus not wanting to feed. Now water changes I handle on my own. The kids "help" but not really haha!

The good thing about a betta is you can get a smaller 5 gallon tank so it really would only take maybe 5-10min per water change

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
e_watson09 said:
My kids have a bigger problem with feeding too often versus not wanting to feed. Now water changes I handle on my own. The kids "help" but not really haha!

The good thing about a betta is you can get a smaller 5 gallon tank so it really would only take maybe 5-10min per water change
Yeah, water changes are definitely my area of care!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom