My Jerdon's Baril have a hard white ball at the tip of their mouths, what is it?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Ilyas, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Ilyas

Ilyas Valued Member Member

I have 3 Jerdon's Baril in a 75g. I have noticed that two of them get a hard white "ball" on the tip of their mouths. I can not find any disease descriptions that describe this symptom and the fact that their is so little info on these guys around I am not certain that is a part of the genetics. The ball seems to bet bigger and smaller. It does at time seem to have skin hanging from it like a slightly opened wound. I have treated with API Super ick cure. Nothing changed. I then thought maybe hole in head or cotton mouth so I treated with API T.C. Tetracycline. The issue remains. The fish a happy, very active, colorful and have a good diet and are eating well. I would take a pic but if you have these fish you know how fast and uncooperative they are. Please help, I love them so much and being new to this I am a little worried I am missing a symptom. I will keep trying to get a good pic too.

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Check out the information below and see if your fish may have the same issues:

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...2308-what-happening-these-bloodfin-tetra.html

Sounds like your fish may need a break from medications. I would recommend a large water change 75% before treating again.

Keep an eye on your water parameters as some medications may harm the beneficial bacteria needed to sustain the tanks cycle.

Let's get more responses. If you can get a photo, that may help a lot.

Best wishes for your fish! I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken candycane2.gif

3. OP
    OP
    Ilyas

Thank you for the warm welcome. I do realize some meds will destroy my biofilter but I was so worried. Water perameters are good now. I did have all the fish on my list other than the ones in the 10g and the 45g long just in my 45 bow at the time I treated with both meds. I now have them in the 75g for about 3 days now. Here are the best pics I could get. 2 out of 3 have this in the exact same spot. I feed flakes, algae waffer, cat scrappers, fresh veg mix i make (green peas, cucumber, zucchini, apple, and a garlic clove blended in food processor) this I started yesterday, prior I gave veg of shelled green peas. I also feed frozen blood worms. I got 2 decent pics but the site says they are too large to load:(

So I can not make the pics small enough to post....hmmm. Well I blew them up and the "ball" looks like a zit almost. It is a defiantly white, same as the skin around their mouths, but the center almost looks like a hole, but there appears to be a clear substance in there just like a zit on a human. No redness. They are not scratching it. They are very, very active and this has been going on for at least 4 weeks now, probably more like 6 weeks. Sorry I have little back ground, as we are just learning this hobby and spent too much time listening to MLFS. We also did not expect to get so into this hobby. We started with thenotion of getting a few stripped fish as recommended to us by my mother's eye doc. Apparently striped fish can help with a slightly "lazy eye". The eye is no longer lazy after a few short months actually and the fish have really grown on us. We are currently learning about being breeders as we have fallen in love with Blue Acara and they are hard to find in our area. Anyways. I would love to meet someone with more knowledge on Jerdon's Baril as well. We love these guys so much and there is next to no info on them any where.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2012
  4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

5. OP
    OP
    Ilyas

These are the best pics I could get....

rsz_020.jpg

019.jpg

021.jpg

023.jpg

I hope they help. I can email them to anyone that would like a closer look or to blow them up and look closer. I am at a lose here. No idea what to think...

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    Ilyas

Thank you Ken. I really appreciate that. I am not techy what so ever lol.

7. OP
    OP
    Ilyas

Oh thank God, I have found the answer I am sure. After one of my Jerdon's developed yet another one of these "growths" I went on a MISSION. I am now certain they are breeding tubercles. I am going to keep a closer eye on it, but I am much more relaxed knowing that they are not going to harm my buddies in any way. Thanks to those of you that tried to help, and any other advice on this is always welcome.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice