My Jaguar Cichlids Just Bred Help

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Manule1375, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Manule1375New MemberMember

Hi everyone!, this is my first time posting here so I hope you can help me out.
    I woke up this morning and I saw that my jaguar cichlid pair bred and there is an absurd amount of eggs attached to one piece of rock. Here is the problem, I didn't notice the breeding action before so they bred in an aquarium were there are more cichlids. I just wanted to ask if there is any way I can move the fry while there are still attached to the rock or do I leave the breeding to follow its natural process because I don't really want the fry to be eaten.
    Thanks

2. MorosithValued MemberMember

Moving the rock to another aquarium is definitely possible. Do you have a tank available for the fry? And do you have a sponge filter that has sat in an established tank available? If not it may be in your best interest to simply let things run their course with this spawn and wait until you are better set up to rear the fry.

3. Manule1375New MemberMember

Hi Morosith, thank you for helping me.
    Yes I have a 30 gallon tank for the fry with a sponge filter and other filter media that have been previously used in other tanks.

4. MorosithValued MemberMember

Excellent! You are able to move the rock directly to your 30 gallon tank then. The eggs will be okay with the very brief exposure to the air.

Good luck!

5. MorosithValued MemberMember

I forgot to say I have experience breeding various cichids, jags included. If you have questions when it comes to rearing eggs (and fry) let me know. It is honestly a bit more difficult than simply isolating the eggs with the parents, but it's certainly doable as long as you are dedicated.

6. Manule1375New MemberMember

Thank you so much! If I have any more problems I will let you know!

7. Manule1375New MemberMember

Hi morosith, eggs are good but I have some questions(Sorry, I´m not a fish keeper with a lot of breeding experience)
    When do I move them?I left them since yesterday in the tank in case the male still needs to fertilize the eggs.At least +36hrs passed after the female produced the eggs and I don't know when to move them.I looked up that the female/male will oxygenate the eggs, so if I move them now, will they die due to a lack of oxygenated water?
    Thanks!

8. MorosithValued MemberMember

The easiest way to oxygenate the eggs is with an air stone that gently runs bubbles along the eggs.

I would move the eggs ASAP to prevent them from hatching in the wrong aquarium.

Once they’re in the new aquarium I’d set up the air stone and use a tooth pick to pluck off any eggs that turn white to prevent any fungi from spreading to the other eggs.

9. Manule1375New MemberMember

Thanks, I will move the eggs in a couple of hours when I get home.
    But just for future breeding with jaguars, do they protect their fry?So in case some eggs hatch in the aquarium, will they protect them or is it more likely that they will eat them?(Sorry for asking too many questions)

10. MorosithValued MemberMember

Don’t apologize for asking questions. The purpose of forums like these is to help each other!

They will protect the fry for a while. Depending on how many cichlids and other fish there are and how dilligent they are will determine their success. Some breeding pairs, especially new ones, can be pretty lazy or forgetful.

The easiest way to get successful spawns will be seperating the pair from other tank mates but that’s not always possible of course.