Advertising

1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

My Jack has a hole in his belly... Please help!

1. l

lotus Valued Member Member

IThis is a repost from yesterday, as I only got 1response that didn't tell me anything. The small hole is a bit larger today, and has red around it. I haven't seen anything wriggling around it, or hanging from it. He's eaten nothing today, not even the cooked pea I offered. Please help, I just want to save this guy
    From yesterday- .I have been treating my Jack Dempsey for a week with parasite clear. He is in a 40g tank by himself, tank setup for 4 months, water parameters 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrates. I5-20 % water change every week, gravel cleaning every 2 weeks, water temp 78f , pH 7.6. I started this treatment because I noticed white stringy things hanging by his gills, along with breathing very heavy( not coming to the surface and gasping for air though) and not eating for 6 days. He seemed to be responding well to the PC except for still breathing heavy, and loss of appetite until yesterday, when he ate some garlic soaked pellets and this morning he had half a cube of bloodworms. His color was good and he was swimming around and his breathing seemed better. He has had the initial treatment of PC, followed by 2 more doses spaced 48 hrs apart as per directions on box. Now, this afternoon, I noticed a black "line along the edge of his gill, a bulge in his stomach, and a small hole right below his gill. He is losing his color, and is lethargic. I was so relieved when he ate, but this is the result! I don't know what to do. The nearest pet store that has a decent stock of medications is 2 hrs. away and will be closed by the time I can get there.The local 1 is useless, I remember I went there to get an incandescent bulb and they didn't even know what that was!!
    I only have the parasite clear, maracyn, melafix and pimafix on hand. Oh- methylene blue too.
    What can I do now??? What should I get tomorrow when I can get my hands on something decent? I know I'm kind of freaking out here, I have been keeping fish since I was a kid but never had much experience with diseases. I can try and take a picture if someone will tell me how to upload it.
    I appreciate any advice.

2. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

Hi, and I am so sorry that your JD is in trouble!
    One thing is certain, clean water is vital. Next, you say you saw white stringy things hanging from his gills-what color are the gills?
    The hole you describe is it fleshy and where exactly is it?
    Meds are going to be an issue-the two hour thing bites! :)
    Are you on Amazon Prime? If you are, you can order and it will be here in a couple of days but that may not be quick enough.
    First, I think a saltwater bath may be in order. If you have aquarium salt, I would do the bath now. When a fish stops eating, it may already be past a point of return but let us hope not!
    Next, imo, it also sounds like some hard core meds like Kanaplex is in order from what you are describing.
    Good luck and I hope the guy makes it!

3. OP
    OP
    l

lotus Valued Member Member

Thank you so much for responding.
    His gills are a light pink color. The hole is near the bottom of his belly. Not sure what you mean by fleshy, it is a small hole with red around it.
    Although he hasn't eaten, he did go for a week without eating when I was treating with the parasite clear, and then ate some bloodworms and garlic soaked pellets when the treatment was done, but the next day he was back to not eating and generally lethargic, and I noticed the hole that was not there before. Do you think the ingestion of food could have anything to do with it? I still think it's parasites, as he responded well to the parasite clear, but obviously it was not strong enough.
    I do not have amazon prime, but today I will travel to every pet store I can find, our major city is Buffalo which is 2 hrs. away, surely they must have something there. Do you know if Petco/Petsmart carry Kanaflex? What type of med is it? If they don't have it, maybe I can try something similar. I am doing daily water changes of 25%. Is that enough or should I do more?

Advertising