My Jack Dempsey

1. Kailyn Member Member

This is my first cichlid! He's a jack dempsey named, Sovereign. I say he, but I'm not sure wether it's a male or female. I've had him for a few months now and I can't get over the personality he has. Right now his home is a 36g bowfront, but he will soon be moved to my 75g.

IMG_20170716_093235_234.jpg IMG_20170714_120411_965.jpg IMG_20170713_191343_212.jpg IMG_20170710_133135_720.jpg IMG_20170710_113832_136.jpg IMG_20170710_103533_438.jpg
  2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Pretty fish!

3. Tlily Initiate Member

Hi Kailyn! I have a new Jack Dempsey too and he is the very reason I just joined the Fishlore community!

I'm not sure if mine is a he or a she....but I've chosen male for now and named him Groot. Yours looks to be about the same size as mine, about 3 inches. I got him in May and he has doubled in size since then. Right now he's in a 26g and seems quite happy but I'll need to find him a bigger home soon. He's all alone though and I was wondering how well Sovereign does with his mystery snail tank mate?
  4. Tlily Initiate Member

This is Groot!

5. Tlily Initiate Member

Hmm, apparently I don't understand how to upload photos yet - sorry about that.:(
  6. Kailyn Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :;bananawater

We got our JDs around the same time! Sovereign ignores the mystery snail for the most part. When I move him to my 75g the mystery snail will not be moving with him. I don't want him to make a snack of it when he gets bigger.

The picture you are trying to load may be too big. Try resizing it and maybe you can get it to load.

Do you plan on having other fish with, Groot? He will eventually need a 55g tank, but if you want more fish with him you will need a larger tank. I plan on having a couple other fish with, Sovereign, but since he is my first JD I'll be asking more experienced cichlid keepers on here for help on what fish would be compatible to put with him in my 75g.