My iridescent shark belly bloated

fishlover2020

Hello everyone! I have 3 iridescent shark in my tank they are with me for more than 9 years, recently one of my shark is coming to the top with the face top and tail down. It had been 15 days since water recycle. Its belly is bloated, now my fear is what happened to it, is it pregnant?

Fish keeping is my hobby for more than 15 years since I am a child but the fish use to die though I took care of them may because I am beginner at that time from then I stopped taking care of fish, but these 3 fish has been with me for more than 9 years though I dint took good care of them.

From the pictures what you people can say? Why the belly is so bloated?

Aquarist

Hello and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Have you seen the fish have a bowel movement recently? There is a chance the fish is constipated. You can try feeding thawed frozen peas. Peas can act as a laxative for fish.

Thaw the pea, slice it in half and remove the skin. The fish looks rather large so it can probably swallow 1/2 a pea with no issue but make sure first. The pea needs to be the size the fish can easily swallow. Two or three peas would be my suggestion.

Canned peas are not recommend due to the possible salt contents.

The fish could be carrying eggs but I really can't say for certain.

What size tank is the fish in? I believe these fish are also known as tank busters, reaching 48"s in length, living 20 + years. The link below suggest a home of at least 2,000 gallons:

This is one species that I believe should be left in the wild.

Best wishes for your fish. I hope you enjoy the site and hold on for more responses.

Ken

NOTE: Please complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This Information will aid others with their responses. To access the Profile, click on Forum Actions in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Profile. Be sure to hit SAVE when you are done.

lucky strike 21

Is your tank info correct? 12 gallon tank ?
I'm thinking stunted fish..

AshWolFF

I believe this is not bloat but stunting. After a period of time in a improper set up the body stops growing but the internal organs do not. Eventually causing bulging of the belly and in time death...

Iridescent sharks get up for 4 feet in length almost 12" wide, I've seen them at local aquariums, I actually had to give one up from my 250 gallon tank because I did not do the research for it. Thank goodness my local aquarium happily took it from me...that thing was a beast.

clk89

DAB56 said:
LOL! Just got that. I missed your last post as I was writing. How did such an old post get placed onto recent posts?
Velvet up there probably found it in searching the forum, then posted not seeing the date. I've seen it happen before and have almost done the same myself.

DAB56

clk89 said:
Velvet up there probably found it in searching the forum, then posted not seeing the date. I've seen it happen before and have almost done the same myself.
Well I guess we learn something new on this forum every day. Always check the dates of the posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom