My Ideas for Stocking 20 & 55 Gallon Tanks: Feedback Appreciated

1. Canadian Fish Member Member

I have been using AqAdvisor to check size and filtration requirements and I came up with these two stocking scenarios for my tanks:

55 Gallon Community Tank

20 Gallon Community Tank

Of course it will take months to add all those fish and who knows how often I'll change my mind between now and then. ;)

Finding compatible fish is fun and I imagine once these two tanks are completely stocked we'll get another aquarium. I would love a 125 Gallon for my basement, but realistically I have a better chance of my wife letting me try a 20 gallon salt water setup so I can get a clownfish for my 3 year old (yes, we're walking stereotypes, lol)

Here are pics of my two tanks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can't tell from my shoddy photography, but my water is actually really clear.

The videos are a lot clearer.

55 Gallon Aquarium Video

20 Gallon Aquarium Video

2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

LOL, my son wants a clownfish too.

Aqadvisor is fun to play with but I would not use it as your only source of information or double checking. You should see all the warnings it throws for my 75gl, it is a nice peacful community, but reading the aqadvisor on it would make you think it was a war zone.

I looked at your links but your stock list doesn't show up in them only the tank info and the flags show up.

3. Canadian Fish Member Member

The aqadvisor links don't work for you? They work on this end.

Yeah, my son loves Nemo. They have a bunch at our LFS and of course the lighting they use makes the fish look AMAZING so between that and the cartoon I understand why he wants one.

I thought aqadvisor might be a little alarmist, they assume every fish will reach it's max size, for instance. I've been using fish profiles on various sites and of course fish forums to confirm compatibility between fish, and confirm how many of each I should keep. Mostly I've been using aqadvisor to make sure there is enough space and filtration for what I want.

Do these links work for you:

55 Gallon Community Tank

20 Gallon Community Tank

4. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Ok I guess they changed the site or something, there used to be a list of choosen fish displayed on the right, I guess now you have to click on the drop down box on the left to see what you chose.

Another problem with aquavisor is it does not take into account the area of the tank each fish occupies or that the bioload of some fish is smaller or larger than others.

5. Canadian Fish Member Member

Maybe it looks different depending on the browser? I use Firefox and the list of my chosen fish in on the right here:

[​IMG]

Hopefully this won't be overstocked.

6. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I don't know a whole lot about the loaches you picked but it does not apear overstocked to me. I'm on my phone so it may just be my phone being stupid.

7. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I think that stocking list has a TON going on at the top level of the tank and then very min in the middle. I'd change out the dwarf rainbows and the zebra danios for a middle dwelling fish. You could probably do two schools. Like a school of 16 Cherry barbs (8m 8f) and then maybe like 15 bleeding heart tetras. Then I'd also do some sort of gourami as a centerpiece fish. I'd personally do like a opaline gourami. Then I'd also add maybe a pair of kribensis cichlids.

8. Canadian Fish Member Member

Can any of these get along with Red Rainbows? I definitely want at least 6 Red Rainbowfish. The rest I'm not stuck on. This stocking list IS top heavy, that was a concern of mine. The platies that are in there now seem to swim everywhere but the danios are certainly always at the top. My only problem with the cherry barb's is they are similar looking to my red platies in color and size, and I'm trying to mix it up a bit. My wife would probably love a bunch of bleeding heart tetras.

I'd love to add a gourami in the mix, if it's compatible with the other tankmates. I'm not familiar with kribensis cichlids, I'll have to look them up. Thanks for the advice!

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would not keep the red rainbows in a 55. They grow to 6 inches and are very active, requiring more than a 12 inch wide tank and in my opinion more than a 4 foot long tank. Big, fast, active fish need space to swim. That became quite obvious when I moved my rainbows from a 90 to a 125. Dwarf neon rainbows are a much better choice for the tank, as would be maccullochi rainbows.

Zebra loaches are very social schooling fish - would keep no less than 6, though 8 would be better for that size tank.

I forgot about the 20 gallon

I would not keep kuhlis or full size corys in less than a 30" long tank. Kuhlis grow to 4 inches are zip around pretty fast. They also need to be kept in a larger group for them to be comfortable enough to not hide - another prohibiting factor. Julii corys are one of the larger species - pygmies, or at largest pandas, are better suited to the tank size. It's also not a large enough tank to support two different bottom feeding species.

I would keep a few more neons - they do better in larger groups.

10. t-ace Member Member

Just as a fair warning, if you are planning on stocking that many fish in both of those tanks, you are going to have your hands full keeping them clean. 40% weekly water changes (recommended by Aqadvisor) on both tanks, while keeping your substrate clean with 32 fish in one tank and 24 in the other will be a continuous battle. I have always done larger water changes that AqAdvisor recommended and have still had nitrate problems from time to time (and I have never stocked my tanks to this extent). IMHO, I think that if you are a beginner, that you should start with a smaller stocking list. Until you gain some experience, I think that it will be overkill to have that many fish.

11. Canadian Fish Member Member

I'll be stocking slowly, a few fish at a time, so if I have any problems keeping the substrate clean or run into any increases in nitrate I will stop adding fish immediately.

Having said that, I am definitely going to try 6 red rainbowfish and see how that goes. Plus the Bristlenose for algae cleaning. If I can't add anything else, I'm ok with that.

12. t-ace Member Member

good idea. I am just trying to give fair warning. Keep it simple. I have found that staying well below maximum capacity makes it much easier to maintain and therefore more enjoyable.

13. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Ohhh sorry I saw on the aqadvisor thing that it was a 70 gallon so I figured it was a 70 not a 55. Sorry I agree with jaysee I wouldn't add the bigger rainbows to a 55. I think a school of the dwarfs would look nice.

14. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

:;fThread moved to the Aquarium Stocking Questions forum.