My Horse Is Unbalanced Which Causes Her To Buck

AxolotlAquarist

The horse I ride is a seven-year-old AQH mare. I don't own her but I am committed to riding her and will not consider switching horses. She is very unbalanced and always leans way forward. She acts like her head is twice as heavy as her tail. This means that every time I ask for the canter, she nearly falls on her face and has to buck in order to keep from doing that. She has never thrown me by bucking, because her intent is not really to get me off. However, the bucking makes me lose my confidence and sensing this, my mare can get out of my control and take advantage of my nerves.
I know that in order to fix this, I have to lean back and keep my hands strong. Any equestrians who happen to be on a fish website have some tips to staying strong, in control, and not get nervous?
(This has been happening for about 9-10 months.)

Auroraspet

Hmm haven't run into this with our horses before. Ida always held her head up high lol She thought she was a queen lol

My dad and brother do more training of horses then I do. I will ask them tomorrow for you. If don't hear from me by tomorrow evening. Send me a PM I might of forgotten as in middle of opening a pet store myself. So won't be due to anything other then simply old man bad memory if I don't respond

AngelTheGypsy

Have you had her feet looked at, and had her vet checked?

If so and these aren't issues, I would look at your riding. Are you riding too far forward? This could easily throw her off balance.
Do you ride English or western?
Is your equipment in proper placement? Do you use a tie down, or keep her tightly collected?
How well do you ride? Have you ever ridden a different horse?

Auroraspet

Good point, If saddle to far forward would cause that. How does she react to being saddled? Maybe some thing wrong with saddle and occasionally sticks her? That would cause a buck but not so much the head down.

If was feet should be doing it with saddle off also. Plus should check hooves daily, I took as did so would of seen any thing. But I shouldn't presume tends to get me in trouble hehe

Aquaphobia

Have you had her evaluated by a veterinarian? If she really is leaning forward it may be to try to take some weight off her hindquarters. That could be the result of pain or weakness.

Ohio Mark

I drive and only rarely ride, but I am wondering if an equine chiropractor might have suggestions? Our 6 yr. old Dutch Harness gelding was leaning towards one side while being driven and our farrier could find no reason for it. A few "treatments" from an equine chiropractor made a world of difference. For roughly a year he got periodic treatments and since then the problem has not reoccurred.

As for the rider/ driver being nervous... I've never had that problem but I know a horse can sense it and some will either lose confidence themselves OR take advantage of it.

Good luck!

AxolotlAquarist

Have you had her evaluated by a veterinarian? If she really is leaning forward it may be to try to take some weight off her hindquarters. That could be the result of pain or weakness.
When this problem started we took her to a vet and the vet said she had a strained suspensary ligament in one hind leg, because the footing we were riding on was terrible and it caused her to canter funny. We gave her time off of being ridden to heal, then we started riding again on new footing. She is better with bucking but hasn't stopped completely. So we don't think it's an injury any more.

Aquaphobia

I would still have someone look at it. The injury may not have healed completely or properly. Or her muscles may have built up in such a way that they protected the original injury but now prevent her from moving the way she used to.

NavigatorBlack

I don't know horses, but I am highly skilled at damaging my own ligaments. I would get that looked at again - they don't heal as easily and smoothly as we might think.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Hannahfish
  • Horse
Replies
Views
Hannahfish
  • TXMatt
  • Horse
Replies
Views
totes
Replies