My Honey Gourami Is Injured Help

1. zinnaerris Member Member

I am apologizing ahead if this becomes a long post. Lol I am new here to the forum. I am also a noob with fish as well.

My tank is cycled. I have a nat geo 15.6 gal tank. I am using the heater it came with which is rated for a 20gal tank. The filter it came with is also rated for a 20 gal tank however it's not adjustable. So I purchased a Cascade 300 internal filter. I have it on the lowest setting and have the air bubbles going as well. It really seems to create a large current in the tank.
    The temp is 78f, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates is every so slightly barely above 0 and ph right around 8.0 (I use the API drop test kit).
    I got 2 honey gouramis last Saturday. I acclimated them with adding my tank water to their over the course of an hour. They have been happy and swimming around and doing their usual picking at things. Their color has been totally fine, until yesterday.
    Yesterday got to 98 degrees (I'm in the northwest so for us that HOT lol) The house got really hot and unfortunately the tank temp went up to about 83. It was that temp for a couple of hours. I took the hood off and turned on a fan to help lower the temp. Thankfully that helped.
    One of the little guys stopped swimming around as much and he seemed kind of weak. He was/is also kind of pale. This morning I turned on the light and was checking on him.. Good timing.. as I found him I saw him get sucked against the filter. I shut off the filter and made sure he was out and away from it before I turned it back on. He was maybe sucked against it for 10 seconds. However now he isn't swimming much. His breathing seems a little labored. One of his feelers is hurt, he's not really using it much.
    There's been several times I've gone to check on him and thought he was dead.
    He's still eating and moving around some but he really doesn't move much.. Just kind of floats around along the bottom (the other one is chillin' at the bottom but that's to hide and to pick at stuff).. or hang out in one of the fake tree decor.
    So with all of that information that I just slammed into your brain I have a couple questions.

First question: What are the chances that my little buddy is going to be able to heal up and survive this?

Second question: Is my filter too strong? I do have a video of how strong of a current it makes.

Third question: I have tried to do so much research on how to lower ph. Here is Vancouver it's roughly 8.0 however the place I go is out in Portland and they keep their ph in between what Portland ph is from tap and what Vancouvers ph is from tap. I've read that the stuff to lower ph can work but it spikes back up. Could the ph change have been the reason he seemed kind of weak to begin with that got him in trouble with the filter?

Thanks! Again sorry about the long post!

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Hello and welcome to FL.
    I'm sorry to hear that your guy isn't feeling so hot. First, depending on what is bugging him, he can definitely recover. I also don't think the filter is too strong under normal circumstances, but he's a little weaker now than normal.

Regarding the pH, that could very well be the issue, but usually an hour is a good amount of time to acclimate. Do you know what the pH in Portland is? Or can you call the store and ask? They should be able to tell you. And you're correct about those bottled products that mess with your pH. They do wear off and it's bad news when they do.

It's possible that he is just a sick fish and it's not related to water conditions or the temp. Have you ever heard of dwarf gourami iridovirus? If not, here you go.

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/disease-prevention/fish-viral-disease.aspx

Sadly, there is not a lot that can be done for it.

..and please do not apologize for asking detailed questions. We're here to learn from and help each other.

3. WolfaraRose Member Member

He sounds like he is stressed. You may want to put some kind of mesh material over the filter (I think pantyhose? are recommended?) and try to baffle your filter a bit to get that current down. I'm not too sure about the PH thing, hopefully someone will be able to answer that for you. Also... you could have some bickering issues if they are both males. And I agree with Adam55

4. zinnaerris Member Member

If I remember right they said Portland is roughly 7.2. They use stuff to keep the tanks at roughly 7.6.
    I was doing some research on the disease. I really hope it's not that and it's just the combo of settling into a new home and them the temp getting kind of hot for them.
    Truthfully I'm not sure if they're both males. One is large and has a grey line down the sides and the smaller one that's not feeling well doesn't. They swim around together sometimes and I've not seen either one go after the other at all however I don't have my eyes on them at all times so it's hard to say.
    I will for sure do some more research on dampening the filter. With it being an internal one it's kind of fat and awkward shaped.

5. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

The easiest way to sex dwarf gouramis is the color. Males are very vibrant and colorful. Females are less so.

6. zinnaerris Member Member

Ok then my bigger one I think is the male and I think the smaller one is female.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. millca Member Member

It would be helpful if you filled out your profile and let us know a bit more about your experience and about your tank. For example, do you use Prime as a dechlorinator whenever you do water changes? When did you setup the tank and how did your cycle it?

Welcome to Fishlore! This is an awesome place to learn and ask questions. I hope your gourami makes it.

8. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Since these are new additions to your tank, I would assume that the most likely scenario is that you have a sick fish since the other one is having no issues adjusting to your tank parameters. I would return the fish to your LFS if possible, healthy fish are strong swimmers and very rarely get caught by a filter intake. Best of luck.

9. zinnaerris Member Member

Thank you. I will call them when I get off work. I would be more than happy to fill out my profile. However it says only active members can fill this section out. I have 4 times before I even started the thread.

10. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Its ok, you have to do a few posts first before you can fill it out :)

11. zinnaerris Member Member

I am so very excited to say that she is out and swimming around a lot better. I'm thinking she's just sore from the big suck. The injured feeler thingy still seems to be sore. She keeps it at her side. However the other one is working just fine. Maybe I was over reacting... it's so different with fish. They really don't have any way to communicate with you about how they feel. I just have to learn more about them to make sure they are healthy and happy.